Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where To Place Moons On Your Layout

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Good point. It seems like it should be possible to do that........but how, given the tools we have to work with. Maybe the concept could be invisible track in the sky that has a moon instead of an engine. How to coordinate it to match the train you are operating is where I'm stumped.
    I know what you mean. The question is just that: How? Hopefully some of the Trainz Creators weigh in on this question. It would be really good to know, or at least something for them to think about when it comes to future Trainz releases.
    Railroading is a separate entity from everything else.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Just guessing, but I assume you place the asset where you want the moon to appear, and raise it up just above the trees in that location. The unfortunate part, unless there's a night-mode associated with the asset, you'll end up with a moon for 24 hours.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

It always shocked me, to see the Moon at noon, when the Sun is 90 degrees from the east and west horizons, the Moon has to be within 90 degrees of the Sun either east or west. That means you can only see the Moon at noon between third and first quarter. We can see the moon during the day for the same reason we see the moon at night. The surface of the moon is reflecting the sun's light into our eyes. When we see the moon during the day it's because the moon is in the right spot in the sky and it's reflecting enough light to be as bright, or brighter, than the sky. The moon is visible in daylight nearly every day, the exceptions being close to new moon, when the moon is too close to the sun to be visible, and close to full moon when it is only visible at night. The best time to see the moon during the day is when it's in the first and last quarter phases (90 degrees away from the sun) because that's when we can see half of the moon's lit side while the sun is still up.

No telescope on Earth can see the leftover descent stages of the Apollo Lunar Modules or anything else Apollo-related. Not even the Hubble Space Telescope can discern evidence of the Apollo landings. The laws of optics define its limits (because we never even really been there) Six missions landed men on the Moon, beginning with Apollo 11 in July 1969, during which Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the Moon. Apollo 13 was intended to land, however it was restricted to a flyby due to a malfunction aboard the spacecraft. All nine crewed missions returned safely to the Earth.

I edited the Moon asset to be Mars and Jupiter once
    Last edited by MP242; September 28th, 2020 at 11:09 AM.
    Please, all I ask, please wear a mask

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    ...The unfortunate part, unless there's a night-mode associated with the asset, you'll end up with a moon for 24 hours.
    I put my moon on a show/hide layer that is controlled by a rule. This rule is also a child of a time of day type rule. This will auto hide it during the day and show it at night. (Have also done this for people group types to match time of day as well.)
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by maruffijd View Post
    I put my moon on a show/hide layer that is controlled by a rule. This rule is also a child of a time of day type rule. This will auto hide it during the day and show it at night. (Have also done this for people group types to match time of day as well.)
    Cool! That's a nice use of layers and rules and pretty cool too. That could work around stations for static traffic and crowds for rush hour and other busy times throughout the day. Back in the olden days, I asked for such a feature when TRS2006 was coming out and was told it was impossible to do so don't bother asking. How times have changed over the last decade and a half.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Quote Originally Posted by maruffijd View Post
    Good move. I'll have to remember that one for future use. Thanks.

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

It would be nice for future Trainz releases to have the moon cycle at night the same way the sun operates now during the day. The moon could cycle through all phases according to the month. The route I'm making from the late 1800's has sessions for Milk trains that leave at 2am for a 2 hour non stop trip to reach its destination with fresh milk to be distributed first thing in the morning . This night route travels south west where the moon would very visible to the engineer on the right side of the cab.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    It would be nice for future Trainz releases to have the moon cycle at night the same way the sun operates now during the day. The moon could cycle through all phases according to the month. The route I'm making from the late 1800's has sessions for Milk trains that leave at 2am for a 2 hour non stop trip to reach its destination with fresh milk to be distributed first thing in the morning . This night route travels south west where the moon would very visible to the engineer on the right side of the cab.
    Agreed. Trainz should seriously consider putting the moon in its future releases.