Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where To Place Moons On Your Layout

Question Where To Place Moons On Your Layout

Ok I downloaded a bunch of different moons from the DLS - - full moon, half moon, quarter moon etc. Always liked it when I worked night shift on the railroad and I was switching locomotives around during the dead of night - while the moon peacefully glowed in the night sky from afar.

So I downloaded almost every moon I could fine. Now for placement: Where and how many feet above the layout should I place the moon of my choice and obviously this is for the Session Layer, correct?

Let me know. Any and all statements on this are welcome.

Peace.

- RR70
    Last edited by Railroader1970; September 27th, 2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Railroading is a separate entity from everything else.

Blog Entries

To be totally prototypical it should be placed 384,400 kms above the layout.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

You can place as many moons as you want, as it is a scenery/building asset, it is only viewable at a limited distance away. Set it too high, and you won't even see it. I place it as low as possible on the horizon, as a real moon looks bigger, when it is compared by the eye and terrain assets.
    Please, all I ask, please wear a mask

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    I see you are in Sydney. I'm on the east cost of U.S. How do I adjust for location on globe and do I consider my terrain height and Mean Sea Level?
    WIN10 ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce
    TRS19 106618(plus), 109446-beta

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

Set it too low and you will not even see it.

The moon rises in the East and sets in the West (just as the Sun does), at midnight it is at it is straight up (and you won't see it unless you lie on a blankie, on your back), the position N/S depends on the season of the year.

Place it where it looks visually best.

You will not be graded on your astronomical accuracy
    Last edited by MP242; September 27th, 2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Please, all I ask, please wear a mask

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    Set it too low and you will not even see it.

The moon rises in the East and sets in the West (just as the Sun does), at midnight it is at it is straight up (and you won't see it unless you lie on a blankie, on your back), the position N/S depends on the season of the year.

Place it where it looks visually best.

You will not be graded on your astronomical accuracy
    Sounds good. Thanks for your input on the matter. It is a big help.

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

Make sure that where ever you go on your route, that the moon follows you...as in real life . How to do that ? I have no clue.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Blog Entries

I think you'd have to ask NASA if they'd take one along and place it up there on their next trip
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Make sure that where ever you go on your route, that the moon follows you...as in real life . How to do that ? I have no clue.
    Yeah I was wondering about that as well.

United States of America, Illinois, Rockford
    Blog Entries

I'm also curious on moon placements as well, since if I can have a moon placed, then I can make a night time session

Cheers

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

Quote Originally Posted by hiawathamr View Post
    I'm also curious on moon placements as well, since if I can have a moon placed, then I can make a night time session

Cheers
    I'm doing some placement tests of various moons I downloaded from the DLS. The moon should be visible from the cab of the train I found or visible from a siding in the boonies where the driver is picking up a bunch of rolling stock. The moon should be placed in an area based on the sessions and also how far the camera (free roaming) can look up to the sky. That's what I seem to be going with at the moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Serious hat on this time. The only way I can think of that would allow a scenery item to move with you would be to make it a locomotive and put it on a track, high in the sky. The problem then becomes one of speed and consistency in motion. It would have to move at the same speed as your earth bound train and when you stop your train the "moon train" would also have to stop. I suspect that this is not impossible but it would certainly be tricky.

Serious hat on this time. The only way I can think of that would allow a scenery item to move with you would be to make it a locomotive and put it on a track, high in the sky. The problem then becomes one of speed and consistency in motion. It would have to move at the same speed as your earth bound train and when you stop your train the "moon train" would also have to stop. I suspect that this is not impossible but it would certainly be tricky.
    I'm surprised Trainz hasn't already done this. I mean, they got the sun down pat and how it moves with the train in a sense as the clock ticks. Not complaining, but I'm just making a point is all.

Blog Entries

Good point. It seems like it should be possible to do that........but how, given the tools we have to work with. Maybe the concept could be invisible track in the sky that has a moon instead of an engine. How to coordinate it to match the train you are operating is where I'm stumped.
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Blog Entries

I suspect that a Moon object is not just a priority. Of all the countless sessions that I have created over the years, only one was set at night. You can edit the environment settings to reduce the "blackness" of night and give some light background glow to the sky.

I seem to recall this point (of the moon) being raised some time ago along with sunset and sunrise times that match the locations longitude and season. Currently the sun rises at 06:00 and sets at 18:00 regardless of the time of the year and the longitude of the layout.