Questions on Signals

jeff1959

I am putting signals on my double track main. I have two questions: 1) Is there a signal on the main where a siding joins the main? 2) Blocks are one mile long At one point, the signal placement should be just about 100 meters from station. Do I put the signal that close or further before or after the station? And what about a signal just after the station?

I am putting signals on my double track main. I have two questions: 1) Is there a signal on the main where a siding joins the main? 2) Blocks are one mile long At one point, the signal placement should be just about 100 meters from station. Do I put the signal that close or further before or after the station? And what about a signal just after the station?

A signal on the mainline isn't necessary. Placing an absolute signal (JR Type 04), on the entry of the siding works fine. For industrial sidings, I use dwarf signals and for branch lines, I will use a standard Type 04.

Trying to get a picture is difficult. A double track mainline with sidings is where I'm confused. Though they do occur in many places is that what you meant? So if it's a spur or a small siding you don't need signals however to help you can use invisible signals (it depends on what the siding is for). If it's a spur coming onto a mainline that depends on the situation your trying to model. The signals are all about traffic flow (and assist in AI meets etc.). Invisible signals give more options to represent a bit more meet locations. It can also be used to represent a line that wouldn't be signalled but you want to manage traffic.

Now as far as the station goes it doesn't matter. The station and timetable (if that is what you are trying to make the train stop) are two different things.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Sean

Trying to get a picture is difficult. A double track mainline with sidings is where I'm confused. Though they do occur in many places is that what you meant? So if it's a spur or a small siding you don't need signals however to help you can use invisible signals (it depends on what the siding is for). If it's a spur coming onto a mainline that depends on the situation your trying to model. The signals are all about traffic flow (and assist in AI meets etc.). Invisible signals give more options to represent a bit more meet locations. It can also be used to represent a line that wouldn't be signalled but you want to manage traffic.

Now as far as the station goes it doesn't matter. The station and timetable (if that is what you are trying to make the train stop) are two different things.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Sean

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my description of the problem(s). The main line is double tracked. But in some places, there are passing sidings that run parallel to the main. I know the siding needs a #4 dwarf but I was wondering if the main had a signal prior to the switch. The question about the station is that the block ends close to the station. I wondered if it was proper signal placement. I have track marks and triggers to get the passenger trains to stop.

Yes, you need a signal to protect the siding, usually with a low speed aspect for the divrge into the siding.
Graeme

You can also protect the main if it's representing CTC. In CTC you have signals at every end of a switch or series of switchs.

Thanks

Sean

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my description of the problem(s). The main line is double tracked. But in some places, there are passing sidings that run parallel to the main. I know the siding needs a #4 dwarf but I was wondering if the main had a signal prior to the switch. The question about the station is that the block ends close to the station. I wondered if it was proper signal placement. I have track marks and triggers to get the passenger trains to stop.

Then yes you would need a diverge 2-head aspect on the main facing towards the siding, and facing out from each siding, you need a single-head absolute. In signal parlance for Trainz and JR signals in particular, you will need to use a Type 06 for the diverge, and a Type 04 for the absolute signal.

Back