Tutorial: Setting up a DLS Author Search in Content Manager

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
Assumptions for this tutorial:

1. You have a First Class Ticket (FCT).
2. You know how to use the Trainz Content Manager (CM).
3. You have some familiarity with setting up custom filters in CM.

These days I tend to only download content items from the DLS from my favorite content creators whose work I know and trust. To ensure that I can download their latest creations I set up custom filters in my Trainz Content Manager so I can quickly search and download their content items.

In this quick tutorial I will show you how to do this.

For this tutorial we will set up a filter for MSGSapper which will show you all the content items on the DLS which are available from this author and you have yet to download to your system from the DLS. BTW MSGSapper is me on Trainz (shameless plug!).

When you first go into CM you will see the Installed filter by default as shown in the following screenshot:

Content-Manager-SS1.jpg

You will want to expand the filter by click the arrow button as shown in the following screenshot. You build you filter statements by clicking the + or - buttons to the right of the content manager as pointed to by my orange arrow.

Content-Manager-SS2.jpg

Now set up your filter to be exactly as shown in the following screenshot:

Content-Manager-SS3.jpg

What this filter does:

1. The author parameter is set for MSGSapper.
2. The Installed parameter is set to false which means that you only want to see content items on the DLS which are not already installed on your system.
3. The Obsolete parameter is set to false which means that you only want to see the latest content item versions on the DLS which are not already have installed on your system.
4. The On Download Station parameter is set to true which means that you only want to see content items which are on the DLS.

At this point you have set up the filter. Now click the Save button as shown in the below screenshot. Enter MSGSapper Content as the filter name and click the OK to save it.

Content-Manager-SS4.jpg

Congratulations! You have now set up your first DLS Author Search custom filter which you can call up any time by selecting it as the filter you want to use view as shown in the below screenshot.

Content-Manager-SS5.jpg

Here are a list of the content authors I have built such filters for and whose content I have come to rely on and trust in my routes:

Dinorius_Redundicus
bendorsey
davesnow
diecastgalore

BTW there are a lot of good authors out there and the above list, which is not at all inclusive of all of them by any means, is just the one I use frequently in my route work.

Bob

Back