Trainz2019 won't start -- anything simple I can check before before trying reinstall?

fddiedrich

When I click my Trainz icon, the spinner appears for a second or two, then nothing. And there's nothing in the task manager showing that it is running.

Also, I'm a bit leary of doing a re-install as I have been doing massive work on a route and I'm just realizing that I actually have no idea where Trainz stores stuff on my hard drive so I can back it up, so I would like some pointers on that, as well.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me out or point me in the right direction.

The obvious, restart your computer and try again.
Trainz stores "stuff" in the location shown on the install tab under "Trainz Settings" on the launcher

The obvious, restart your computer and try again.
Trainz stores "stuff" in the location shown on the install tab under "Trainz Settings" on the launcher

Yes, I restarted. A few times. But still nothing.

And what I mean when I say that Trainz won't start is that it is the launcher that won't start, so obviously can't check the settings.

Another thing to check is if it's busy when it was shutdown before and hasn't completely stopped.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up Task Manager.

Look for TRS19.exe.

If it's there, watch the hard disk activity and if there is any, wait because that means it's writing stuff to the database and you don't want to run a EDBR because that can take a long time if you have a lot of content installed.

If you have other TRS19.exes sitting there, right-click on each one separately, and end task.

Eventually, the first one will stop running, and you can then start up again.

The reason why it's not starting up is simply that the one that's running won't allow multiple instances (versions) of the same program to run at the same time. What happens instead is these other versions stack up and wait for the one ahead to stop before they will start up multiple times. The same issue you are experiencing, if it is that issue, I'm discussing here, will cause these stacked up copies to run as soon as you quit a running copy.

I found this out the hard way quite some time ago.

Another thing to check is if it's busy when it was shutdown before and hasn't completely stopped.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up Task Manager.

Look for TRS19.exe.

If it's there, watch the hard disk activity and if there is any, wait because that means it's writing stuff to the database and you don't want to run a EDBR because that can take a long time if you have a lot of content installed.

If you have other TRS19.exes sitting there, right-click on each one separately, and end task.

Eventually, the first one will stop running, and you can then start up again.

The reason why it's not starting up is simply that the one that's running won't allow multiple instances (versions) of the same program to run at the same time. What happens instead is these other versions stack up and wait for the one ahead to stop before they will start up multiple times. The same issue you are experiencing, if it is that issue, I'm discussing here, will cause these stacked up copies to run as soon as you quit a running copy.

I found this out the hard way quite some time ago.

Thanks for the idea, but as I've already mentioned, there's no trace of it in the Task Manager -- not under Apps, nor under Background Processes.

Also, I might point out as an aside, that I have actually had multiple instances of Trainz running in the past (by accident), albeit very slowly. :)

Thanks for the idea, but as I've already mentioned, there's no trace of it in the Task Manager -- not under Apps, nor under Background Processes.

Also, I might point out as an aside, that I have actually had multiple instances of Trainz running in the past (by accident), albeit very slowly. :)

Yeah I've done it by starting Trainz from the Launcher as well. That was quite confusing because each version was fighting for resources and was throwing up fits while saving.

No trace... Have you changed or updated your antivirus program? They can and will kill applications it doesn't like. It'll also wreak havoc with your data. I recommend excluding TRS2019, and it's folders, including your data too, from scanning.

In the event that it still won't start, and you have to reinstall, you won't lose your data.

1) Copy your user data folder to a "safe place". This is always a good thing to do especially if something weird has happened.

The folder is located here by default:

C:\Users\<Your LOGIN Name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19

In a folder named build something. (Like this here: build 9k0qtg991)

The something is a bunch of letters and numbers.

If you have multiple ones, copy the folder with the most recent data. (open the folder and check the dates of the content).

2) Uninstall the application by deleting the folders directly from your hard disk. The uninstaller is broken once you've updated the program.

3) Reinstall the program.
Go through the motions of letting it choose it's own data folder, etc.

Once done:

1) At the Launcher, open settings.
2) Click on the Install tab.
3) Click on the ... on the right.
4) Browse to C:\Users\<Your LOGIN Name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19
5) Look for the build something folder with the same letters and numbers as the one you copied.
6) Click on that.
7) Click on the select folder.

This will remember all your settings you have already including your username, password, and other setups.

You'll be asked to restart the program. Do as instructed, and you should be up and running.

Yeah I've done it by starting Trainz from the Launcher as well. That was quite confusing because each version was fighting for resources and was throwing up fits while saving.

No trace... Have you changed or updated your antivirus program? They can and will kill applications it doesn't like. It'll also wreak havoc with your data. I recommend excluding TRS2019, and it's folders, including your data too, from scanning.

...uding your username, password, and other setups.

You'll be asked to restart the program. Do as instructed, and you should be up and running.

Thank you very much, sir.

I'm cloning my data folder to another drive and will try a reinstall.

And no, there was no change to my anti-virus prog.

Tried turning your anti virus and any malware detection stuff off? AV's and anti whatever programs update their definitions often a few times a day so it could be the updated definitions are incorrectly flagging TRS19, if nothing else it can establish if that is or isn't a problem.

Checked disk for errors? Could be file corruption.

Check Event Viewer, that may give a clue in some cases.

In the event that it still won't start, and you have to reinstall, you won't lose your data.

1) Copy your user data folder to a "safe place". This is always a good thing to do especially if something weird has happened.

The folder is located here by default:

C:\Users\<Your LOGIN Name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19

In a folder named build something. (Like this here: build 9k0qtg991)

The something is a bunch of letters and numbers.

If you have multiple ones, copy the folder with the most recent data. (open the folder and check the dates of the content).

2) Uninstall the application by deleting the folders directly from your hard disk. The uninstaller is broken once you've updated the program.

3) Reinstall the program.
Go through the motions of letting it choose it's own data folder, etc.

Once done:

1) At the Launcher, open settings.
2) Click on the Install tab.
3) Click on the ... on the right.
4) Browse to C:\Users\<Your LOGIN Name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19
5) Look for the build something folder with the same letters and numbers as the one you copied.
6) Click on that.
7) Click on the select folder.

This will remember all your settings you have already including your username, password, and other setups.

Thank you very much, again. This worked a treat. Too bad that it was necessary to do it.

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked. Something got glitched somewhere.

Is your computer on a UPS? If not I recommend getting one. A UPS prevents brown-outs and power outages from corrupting data on disks while the computer is running and the power fluctuates or goes out. The battery inside kicks in quickly and allows your computer to continue to work, in the case it's only a brownout, or shutdown normally if the power goes out.

There are many brands. Tripp-Lite is a good one and so is APC (Schneider). I just replaced mine which died and no longer worked. When I got hit during a bad wind and rainstorm this summer, I lost power very hard and it ruined my data. I was able to restore the data from backups, but it left a mess.

Back