Trainz on ARM64

I see. So now that we have them, Trainz doesn't run well, but if TS21 comes over to macOS, I highly doubt it won't have an ARM version.

Seeing as Tony explicitly said there will be an ARM version, I agree with you :)

WARNING: Current versions of Trainz run very poorly on the M1 chip.

However, our planned Q1 2021 update will include Metal and support for the M1 ARM-based chip and that will run better than the current game on current gen Mac hardware. How much better will depend on how much we can optimise things.

I'm not sure where people get that Apple doesn't care about the Mac. Apple has done a lot lately to update their Macs and is putting a lot of resources in to making all their Macs run on Apple Silicon. On a M1 Mac mini, I run on high settings for Trainz 2019 and I think it runs fine. Apple Insider review said it is equivalent to Radeon 570 in eGPU enclosure. eGPUs are not currently supported, however people have found eGPUs are recognized, so they think there is hope of future support. I'm enthused that there is a timeline for Metal and Apple Silicon for Trainz 2019. I think people are a bit harsh on the M1 Macs, as this is just the lower end computers. For many things though, these M1s, and even the M1 Air, beat all Intel Mac laptops. That is not an easy feat. These first batch of computers are not meant to replace the Mac computers for everybody. This M1 Mac mini is my daily driver. It runs smooth, even with Intel based apps. I've ran N3V mobile stuff on this Mac as they are already ARM products.

The GPU in the M1 manages to beat the discrete AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4GB included in the 15-inch MacBook Pro models, by scoring 6,835 points in the single GPU test. That score is not far behind the AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8GB GPU included in the Mac Pro, while the 16-inch MacBook's AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB sits out in the very front with 9,239.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...outclasses-nearly-all-current-intel-mac-chips

Further, quite a few apps, already run natively on Apple Silicon.

People think that Apple Silicon is new and developers would be starting from scratch. This is not true, the M1 Macs are using the same CPU, GPU, and ML as the iPhones and iPads have done before. Apple Silicon is only new to the Mac.

Last edited:
Alright, alright.

By the way, saw the recent newsletter confirming a new version of TS19 w/ Apple Silicon support. Good to know these devices aren't forgotten. (Though, I don't use a computer for gaming that much - I use a console, and...)

wait.....there making trs21? i haven't heard anything. (although that's probs cuz when i search it up its the other train sim 2021)

wait.....there making trs21? i haven't heard anything. (although that's probs cuz when i search it up its the other train sim 2021)

I know this is a bit of N old thread now, but to clarify… nah. I was just adsuming it was coming out cuz of the time between TANE and TS19, and I thought 3 years or so was going to be the time it took to release a new version of Trainz. But, it seems like we still have about 2, 3 more years of TS19 left - hopefully, when I finally jump into that game, the next version of Trainz doesn’t come out.

I think you are safe and there is a few more months left in TRS19 before we are likely to see any successor particularly as there are updates already in the pipeline. Currently TRS19 in its various forms is about the cheap as its ever been so what better time to jump. Peter

Cool. Thing is… I have about 25 GB of storage left, I can’t upgrade it (thanks Apple), and the external hard drive I have randomly got corrupted. I’m also planning to upgrade to the rumored MBP 14 (I’ll try out the new ones in Best Buy to see if I should go down from 15” or go to 16”) next summer… so what should I do? Buy TS19 now and install it next summer, or…?

Just to let you know and add to discussion. Concerning your corrupted drive.... When backing/saving files, programs whatever, it is good idea to also use a Cloud storage too. That way u get two sources of backup to draw from.

One Drive is free on any computer so that is what I use...... I also use paid software Carbonite too. It saved me especially 3 months ago when SSD died on me......

I think the minimum requirements of TRS19 is about 30GB of storage and it soon stacks up once you start downloading a few additional routes and/or assets from the DLS. That said if you intend migrating to TRS19 it is a excellent time to buy cost wise and its there for you to download when purchased or in the future as required from your Trainz account. Peter

Just to let you know and add to discussion. Concerning your corrupted drive.... When backing/saving files, programs whatever, it is good idea to also use a Cloud storage too. That way u get two sources of backup to draw from.

One Drive is free on any computer so that is what I use...... I also use paid software Carbonite too. It saved me especially 3 months ago when SSD died on me......

Cloud isn't secure though, Microsofts Azure has been hacked, if Microsoft can't keep things secure I doubt anyone else can.

ChaosDB: How we hacked thousands of Azure customers’ databases
https://www.wiz.io/blog/chaosdb-how-we-hacked-thousands-of-azure-customers-databases.

Exclusive-Microsoft warns thousands of cloud customers of exposed databases
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/tec...sed-databases/ar-AANMWbX?ocid=winp2octtaskbar

I keep three 4TB backups of System drives, data and Trainz on two Externals, disconnected and stored when not being used and one Internal on a different PC on my network.

Back