How to fix eye textures that are a jpg file

I tried to fix an engine's eye texture but it's a jpg file (I only know how to fix eye textures that are bmp files). Does anyone know what to turn a jpg file into?

You have to use an image manipulation program like GIMP to convert the .jpg into other file type(s). Currently the recommended file type for texture file(s) in Trainz is .tga (Truevision TGA, often referred as Targa), which means you have to convert the .jpg texture files into .tga using the image manipulation program.

You might try Irfanview. It is free like GIMP, but many fewer tools, and so much less learning curve. Openthe.jpg and save as either.bmp or .tga.

If these are reskins, you need to match both the file name and the type specified in the texture.txt file, otherwise, this won't work.

Sometimes you can change the file-type and update the texture.txt file to match, meaning edit the text file in you text editor such as notepad and change the .jpg to .tga if you've created .tga files instead.

If you create .tga files, do not save them as compressed files so uncheck the RLE compression option.

If these are reskins, you need to match both the file name and the type specified in the texture.txt file, otherwise, this won't work.

Sometimes you can change the file-type and update the texture.txt file to match, meaning edit the text file in you text editor such as notepad and change the .jpg to .tga if you've created .tga files instead.

If you create .tga files, do not save them as compressed files so uncheck the RLE compression option.

TS19 accepts compressed tga files. Just edit the .jpg file but remember when you edit a .jpg the editor will normally degrade the image to get better compression unless you tell it not to. Tell it to maximize image quality.

Cheerio John

Thanks John on the update to .tga files. I've always left them uncompressed perhaps out of being on the safe side.

I have seen that with jpeg files in the past and always set them to the highest resolution.

Back