Clarity of Nenu Items

boleyd

Your combinations of Grey on Black are VERY difficult for me to see. I would be nice to veer away from the depressing grey and black motif Microsoft uses and is followed for marketing departments to be more "tuned" to 20+ people.

I am completely in the dark (no pun) as to what this is about. I have looked at all the menus in TRS19 PE for both Driver and Surveyor and cannot see any that match your description. They all appear as white text on dark grey background and are perfectly readable to my 69.5 year old eyes assisted with glasses. Perhaps you mean the tools icons at the top of the screen (system, edit, tools, etc). They also stand out clearly when placed over the a sky or a ground background.

Perhaps a screenshot might be helpful?

Microsoft Grey? no grey here in Win10, use the personalise settings and you can have any colours you want.

The Driver window is one example I believe. The window is fine but when you have enough drivers to over fill the window the scroll bar is almost impossible to see. The user does not realize he/she can scroll to more drivers. This was pointed out more than once in Plus beta testing but there was no response and no change?

This is what I think the OP is referring to - it is an annoyance for me as well:

As an example, select the Objects tab. Then left mouse click on one of the objects. The selected object becomes white on a dark gray background, while the unselected objects remain white on a black background. This makes it difficult to determine which object is selected - the backgrounds are too similar.

I failed to be specific. The text is fine. My complaint is the bar that indicates a selected item. The contrast between the bar and the background is my proble. I have to really get close to the screen to see the which item is selected in a menu. I don't want to set my PC screen colors to improve that since I also watch TV with the PC. With the new longer ad blocks in the USA I can check my TV window for the latest. Color/lighting perhaps have a strong influence because of that. Not a terrible thing. Just annoying. I have no complaint about the general graphics. They are quite good and addictive.

Ah yes. The scroll bars. This matter has been raised in the past and is not a frivolous issue. Even something as simple as making the "grab button" or "slider" a more prominent colour would be a big improvement.

Ah yes. The scroll bars. This matter has been raised in the past and is not a frivolous issue. Even something as simple as making the "grab button" or "slider" a more prominent colour would be a big improvement.

Yup "that" issue.

I have found there are a lot of applications, not just TRS2019, that suffer from the same illness. It must be a design trend like swashes and color bars found on 1990s era brochures along with ant-sized text adjacent to extra large headings.

I would not advocate some odd color but simply making the selection bar more prominent. Slightly brighten the background and slightly darken the bar. Pure white characters remain quite visible. There may be other areas that would benefit from a simple adjustment of two or three numbers. One person does it. Calls some other NV people to validate the change, then get Tony to say - do it. Let's get it done soon. Time is sort of running out.:(

I think you might have a better chance of getting it changed if you come up with a multiplayer version of adjusting it. Maybe one player can open a color panel, then a second person chooses the bar color while a third person chooses the background. Then all three must vote on the chat window to accept the change. After all MP is the future.:hehe:

William

OK there is a solution, I don't use the scroll bar which granted is nearly invisible, however click the cursor on the list and use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down, don't need to see the scroll bar then. ;o)

I reported this back in Dec 2019 - see 4th archive post down. Tony was active in the thread.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-155789.html

I also provided a linked pic of a dialog box issue (at that time) which was fixed. Perhaps I should have supplied a pic of the Driver window too. :)

Yes, I too use the mouse scroll wheel but newbies won't even know there are additional drivers to see.

Last edited:
I reported this back in Dec 2019 - see 4th archive post down. Tony was active in the thread.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-155789.html

I also provided a linked pic of a dialog box issue (at that time) which was fixed. Perhaps I should have supplied a pic of the Driver window too. :)

Yes, I too use the mouse scroll wheel but newbies won't even know there are additional drivers to see.

These days when people haven't a clue how Windows and standard features keyboard shortcuts etc work you are probably right. I don't think I even noticed there was scroll bar and just used the mouse wheel automatically, which works in most programs that use lists. Bit like I've always used Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y for undo and redo as I do in PSP, 3ds Max and so on, so didn't miss the buttons moving until it was brought up on here.

These days when people haven't a clue how Windows and standard features keyboard shortcuts etc work you are probably right. I don't think I even noticed there was scroll bar and just used the mouse wheel automatically, which works in most programs that use lists. Bit like I've always used Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y for undo and redo as I do in PSP, 3ds Max and so on, so didn't miss the buttons moving until it was brought up on here.

In my real life I use Mac/OSX (since the 80's). I use Win10 only for special tasks and Trainz. I have to say that the Apple Track Pad has spoiled me for scrolling. I have tried several trackpads on windows and they are too slow to respond and not very precise. With my Apple Trackpad I can position scrolls very quickly and accurately. I have a separate trackpad on the left of the keyboard and I mouse with right hand and trackpad with my left. So now I'm spoiled. It is painful for me to use mouse scrolling on windows. On my Mac, I can position a scroll to any point vertically. Unlike windows you are not limited to a "line." By slightly rocking your fingers on trackpad you can accurately scroll the height of a period.

OK there is a solution, I don't use the scroll bar which granted is nearly invisible, however click the cursor on the list and use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down, don't need to see the scroll bar then. ;o)

After almost 2 years of using '19 I just discovered that you can also scroll the driver list with up and down arrow keys. Note that if you "change direction" (scroll up from down, or down from up) it will take 4 key presses as it is "stepping" through the 3 drivers already showing. 4th press will start the scroll.

Back