How do you like your cheese sandwich??

wreeder

RGS Railfan
I've been watching a Youtube channel about cruising the British canal system in a narrowboat and the fellow is particularly fond of cheese sandwiches. He never gets around to showing how he makes them so I thought I would ask for ideas. Growing up in Alabama I remember two ways my mother would make them. First was slices of cheddar on plain white bread with plenty of mayonnaise. If soup was on the lunch menu, she would leave off the mayo and grill the sandwich golden brown in a skillet and plenty of butter. I still enjoy them this same way more than 50 years later.

Anyone got a favorite way to enjoy a good cheese sandwich?

https://www.youtube.com/c/CruisingTheCutUK/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

William

Ah yes Cruising The Cut. Haven't followed much in the last year but I'm subscribed.

Can't help you with the cheese sandwich. Grilled Cheese?

Thanks

Sean

The usual British way is the cheese between two slices of buttered (or non-butter spread) bread plus whatever additions you want; e.g. pickle, sliced tomato, tomato plus lettuce, marmite etc. You can use whatever cheese you like, hard or soft. Beyond that you can really do what you like, e.g. toasted cheese sandwiches; there is no hard or fast rule.

The usual British way is the cheese between two slices of buttered (or non-butter spread) bread plus whatever additions you want; e.g. pickle, sliced tomato, tomato plus lettuce, marmite etc. You can use whatever cheese you like, hard or soft. Beyond that you can really do what you like, e.g. toasted cheese sandwiches; there is no hard or fast rule.

The butter used as a spread on a cold sandwich is fascinating to me. I have never seen that. Now on some sandwiches served hot like a burger, the bun's inside will be buttered and then toasted. Or a breakfast sandwich served on a biscuit (like a British scone, not a cookie) the top is buttered hot out of the oven and filled with egg, sausage and cheese.

It makes perfect sense as the egg in the mayo can go bad quickly while the butter is safe at room temperature for much longer.

I will have to try butter as a spread.

William

Hmmm, that does sound good. Is the beetroot pickled? I had a burger in Sydney that had a slice of beet on it and it was delicious.

Thanks,

William

Hmmm, that does sound good. Is the beetroot pickled? I had a burger in Sydney that had a slice of beet on it and it was delicious.

Thanks,

William

I use pickled Beetroot or non pickled with vinegar on Cheese Sandwiches or Cheese and Onion or Cheese and Tomato with mayonaise or just cheese and a blob of Worcester Sauce sometimes toasted sometimes not, butter or similar on non toasted ones.

A cheese sandwich consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire thread consist of "melts". Almost every ""cheese sandwich" i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this thread is called "cheese sandwich" is nothing short of utter blasphemy. Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not cheese sandwiches. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a cheese sandwich. I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more cheese sandwiches in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your cheese sandwich? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own thread entitled "melts" because that is not a frickin cheese sandwich. I'm not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-eastern person I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to cheese sandwiches and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our cheese sandwiches and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being. Shoot, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" all over the forum and it's been driving me insane. The moment i saw this thread this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own thread just because I know this one exists now.

You god damn heretics. Respect the cheese sandwich and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt.

I agree that a cheese sandwich is a couple of slices of any decent cheese between two slices of buttered bread, but I do think that adding something like Branston Pickle makes the sandwich more interesting without changing it from a cheese sandwich.

And by the way wreeder, buttered bread is a staple in the UK. Anything from marmalade, jam, meat, etc, on bread usually comes buttered. Ummm, delicious!

Cheers

I'm rather partial to Corned Beef and Beetroot Sandwiches and I forgot Branston Pickle which I had with Cheese last night!

Whether it be plain old generic white bread, rye bread, wheat bread, bagel, English Muffin, the secret is to use USDA Grade A Gubbament Surplus Cheese. Don't use margarine which is one molecule away from being plastic.

In a large Teflon fry pan, melt 2 extremely teeny tiny pats of real butter, just the actual square size of the actual bread slice, don't use too much butter. Place the bread and toast it on medium, and do not burn it, make it dark golden brown. Take the one sided already toasted bread out of the pan, re-apply two extremely teeny tiny pats of butter, just the actual square size of the actual bread slice, do not use too much butter. Place the un-toasted bread down in the square butter spots in the pan, apply the cheese to the tops of the already toasted golden brown bread. Your grilled cheese will be non-greasy the less butter you use.

If you like, take the 2 finished slices of toasted cheese bread, and put sliced ham, sliced roast beef, etc, etc, and put it all in the toaster oven, and broil it with downward with heat, until the lunch meat is bubbly hot, you can add more USDA Grade A Gubbament Surplus Cheese in the middle, and slam your grilled cheese sandwich together. Let it cool a few minutes as it will burn your wittle tongue.

The whole process takes 5 to 10 minutes, as with everything you do in life, the longer you take, and the more gentle care you take, the better the end product turns out :cool:

Take a pizza cutter and roll it up and down, and slice the sandwich up into 3/4" squares, and dump it all into a piping hot bowl of tomato soup. :p

Last edited:
I'm rather partial to Corned Beef and Beetroot Sandwiches and I forgot Branston Pickle which I had with Cheese last night!

I'm with you Malc.
I'm eating a corned beef sandwich with branston for lunch as I write this. Hard to beat. :udrool:

Cheers

ive had a cheese sandwich with mayo on one slice, butter on the other, a slice of cheese, and some bacon, that is awesome, making it grilled is also great

This thread is fascinating to me. The variations are amazing and all sound wonderful.

What kind of pickle is a Branston pickle. Sweet? Sour?

Is this it?

Branston Pickle is made from a variety of diced vegetables, including swede (rutabaga), carrots, onions and cauliflower pickled in a sauce made from vinegar, tomato, apple and spices. In recent years high-fructose corn syrup has replaced sugar in the product sold in the American market.

https://www.amazon.com/Branston-Ori...ocphy=9012553&hvtargid=pla-568088044688&psc=1

William

Last edited:
This thread is fascinating to me. The variations are amazing and all sound wonderful.

What kind of pickle is a Branston pickle. Sweet? Sour?

Is this it?

Branston Pickle is made from a variety of diced vegetables, including swede (rutabaga), carrots, onions and cauliflower pickled in a sauce made from vinegar, tomato, apple and spices. In recent years high-fructose corn syrup has replaced sugar in the product sold in the American market.

https://www.amazon.com/Branston-Ori...ocphy=9012553&hvtargid=pla-568088044688&psc=1

William

Yes that's the one, suppose you'd call it sweetish.

While I enjoy a good grilled cheese sandwich or melt if you feel so inclined; I really like a slice of Mild Cheddar in between 2 slices of German bologna, on white bread, potato chips on the side.

Two slices of wholemeal bread with mature Cheddar cheese between, maybe Branston pickle, both slices of bread buttered on the outside only, then fired on my griddle pan and turned both over and ninety degrees until both sides are nicely toasted with a criss-cross grid pattern on both sides.

Ray

Back