Route crashing while in only one place?

ministerfarrigut

Owner of Keaton's Trainz
(Sorry in advance for this not being in the right spot)

I'm in a mess right now.

A couple of weeks ago, I was working on my Polar Express route and I left the game; saved and exited, the like. I came back the next day and went over to a WIP area, and it crashed. In surveyor. That's never happened before. I thought it was a one time thing. Tried it again, same thing. I tried driving through the area in Driver. Same thing.

I got sad and left it.

I've now come back HOPING I can save this route. It's nearly 370 baseboards, and 400 hours put in since December. That's a lot.

I have tried everything to fix this problem. I sent a ticket to the help desk about a week ago I think, no response yet. Database rebuilds and extended repairs did nothing, deleting and installing the route did nothing, so it may be a content error. Let me describe the area for you.

The problem area is known as Flat Top Tunnel.

Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019_8_29_2020_3_47_39_PM.png

as you can see, lots of trees, jvc, rock, textures, and a bit of turfx. Is turfx known to crash trainz? I don't really know.

What is weird is the same combination of all these assets in other parts of the route or other routes doesn't affect anything. It is literally only this part.

I'm seriously not understanding where I went wrong. ANY help is appreciated.

I would start by checking a few things. Are there any assets needing an update? Are there any obsoletes showing in CM? If so, they should be deleted. Anything 'open for edit'? Revert to original for these. If you still have the issue after this, you need to disable all assets in that area and try again, maybe replace the track with a built in one temporarily. These are all the things I would try. If disabling assets works then enable them one at a time until you find the culprit. Unfortunately it may also be that the route has become corrupt somehow, although it's unlikely to be because of the save, unless your power supply is dodgy.. I've also not known TurfFX to cause a crash, even in beta testing.
Good luck solving this.

In addition to what Graham has said, are their any new assets installed?

Have you put anything new in the route in that particular area?

There's a possibility that the asset or assets are corrupted causing the problem. I had a route that did this once that I've discussed before. The problem turned out to be a corrupted Mcguirel Maples Tree. I didn't discover the bugger until I had converted the route for import into T:ANE. The route would crash if I looked in that particular direction while driving, or managed to work in that particular area while in Surveyor. If I looked the other way, or didn't go close to that area, the frame rates dropped down to less than slideshow, but I could get passed and continue working or driving.

These things are a pain to find. If you have a backup, I recommend saving this route to a CDP and going back a version or two. I know you'll lose recent work, but at least the route its self isn't lost.

Not only new assets installed but any asset that's been recently updated could cause problems, newer isn't always better, occasionally they can cause issues.

I forgot to mention that I've been going through and disabling content. I'm fairly certain it isn't the track, because when that was enabled, it didn't crash, so it might be a tree like JCitron talled about. There are a lot in that area. I'm not entirely sure. There were a couple new things I added in that area, but none had crashed the game at all previously.

After disabling content...I'm having trouble believing this...the problem was Turfx and Clutter. When these were the only things disabled, the route didn't crash.

Hmm that's an interesting one never had TurfFx cause any problems here and haven't used any clutter, yet.

I'd check if any of the clutter assets are showing as locally modified and revert to original, I've occasionally had strange occurrences of built-in stuff becoming modified when I haven't touched it!

Not sure how the TurfFx works but presumably the pre prepared ones are assets.

What assets did you use for the clutter?

The other thing is how warm is your video card?
How old is it?
Have you updated drivers recently?

Clutter and Turf-FX make heavy use of the video card and if anything is a bit wrong there, this could cause the crash.

Back