runaway track timer/logic

justinroth

So I'm modeling a semi-fictional route based off of Madison, Indiana which includes the infamous "Madison Incline", an almost 6% grade. I wish to figure out a way to time an automated switch to a runaway track based on triggers. I figure I can space them a certain distance from each other and use an invisible loco/dummy driver as some sort of logic to throw a switch depending upon the time between triggers. I'm not quite sure how the logic would work? Maybe someone could come up with a solution or set of commands that would work?

So I'm modeling a semi-fictional route based off of Madison, Indiana which includes the infamous "Madison Incline", an almost 6% grade. I wish to figure out a way to time an automated switch to a runaway track based on triggers. I figure I can space them a certain distance from each other and use an invisible loco/dummy driver as some sort of logic to throw a switch depending upon the time between triggers. I'm not quite sure how the logic would work? Maybe someone could come up with a solution or set of commands that would work?

You can use either triggers or trackmarks for this:

-----T1----------T2------<Switch

Variable Modify time = 0

Check Trackside any train T1
....Variable Modify Continuous time + 1 per second

Check Trackside any train T2
....Variable Check time < computed time from T1 to T2 at safe speed
........Set Junctions Switch to runaway track

and there you go. You can use either Check Trackside or Trackside Check, they work the same.

To get the true distance from T1 to T2 use the Track Scanner asset. It is accurate whether the track is curved or straight.

Have fun!

:B~)

On the Saluda Grade, early on they used switchmen for the runaway track, if the train was travelling at a safe speed and under control the driver would blow the whistle three times to tell the switchman all good, set for the main. That too could be activated with a trigger and rule.
cheers
Graeme

On the Saluda Grade, early on they used switchmen for the runaway track, if the train was travelling at a safe speed and under control the driver would blow the whistle three times to tell the switchman all good, set for the main. That too could be activated with a trigger and rule.
cheers
Graeme

They later changed it to a timer mechanism, similar to the Madison Incline.

Back