Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics / lag

Default Graphics / lag

I've just purchased 2019 and the lag on it is crazy. I have to move all the sliders down to the bottom just to make it playable.

I have an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM but having used the benchmark test program it became clear that my graphics card is the issue (got about 8%!)

So clearly I need to invest here but this is where I am having problems. There are hundreds of different graphics cards and I have no idea where to start.

I appreciate it's "how long is a piece of string" as it depends upon how much I want to invest. I'm not a massive gamer so I am really only investing for Trainz itself.

So are there any pointers out there on where to start and what to look for? I'm not anticipating running everything in Ultra HD but I would certainly like to be able to ramp up the settings so I can appreciate a lot more of the detail.

Any help or advice would be most welcome. Thank you in advance

I suspect you might find that your thread is moved to the 'Parts & Labour" forum. In the mean time it would be helpful to know your current config in more detail (particularly your current graphics card, and the wattage of your power supply).
    Phil
    "WeddinNSW: South lines to the Lachlan" now available on the DLS. Uses only included and DLS content.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Below is from the bench test. Power supply is a Corsair 350W

UserBenchmarks: Game 15%, Desk 81%, Work 14%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 86.6%
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770 - 8.5%
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB - 54.5%
    HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011) - 50.8%
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 C13 2x8GB - 75.5%
    MBD: Asus B150M-A/M.2

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

350 watts is a bit limiting , you want a score of roughly 10,000 to get reasonable results and 15,000 isn't overkill. I'd stick to nVidia cards.

Cheerio John

Thank you for that. I had no idea I even needed to consider that so that information has proved incredibly useful.

Much appreciated.

United States of America, California, Port Hueneme

As John said: Use Nvidia. I have been using GTX1060 quite satisfactory (6Gb). But when I got a laptop with a GTX1650, it outperforms the desktop! Anyhow, the investment is well worth, almost guaranteed it will solve your problem.

GTX 1650 Super may be your best option. A lot faster than your existing card, but with similar power requirements, and relatively cheap (I wouldn't push much higher with a 350 watt PSU).
    Phil
    "WeddinNSW: South lines to the Lachlan" now available on the DLS. Uses only included and DLS content.

What benchmark test is everyone talking about? I would like to use it on my PC too.
    T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS2019 SP1 (105096).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    What benchmark test is everyone talking about? I would like to use it on my PC too.
    This one https://www.userbenchmark.com/ it's the one N3V link to from their TANE and TRS19 hardware requirements page.
    Malc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    This one https://www.userbenchmark.com/ it's the one N3V link to from their TANE and TRS19 hardware requirements page.
    I just tried this on a new Alienware M15 with a RTX2070 GPU and it was unable to detect it and gave me a score of 0% for gaming LOL. This tool may be outdated.
    If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher824 View Post
    I just tried this on a new Alienware M15 with a RTX2070 GPU and it was unable to detect it and gave me a score of 0% for gaming LOL. This tool may be outdated.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Nvidia...70/Rating/4029 There are results for the RTX2000 series cards, laptop with Intel and Nvidia GPU? If so it's using the integrated Intel GPU for the test, common problem with laptops and benchmarks.
    Malc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    [url]If so it's using the integrated Intel GPU for the test, common problem with laptops and benchmarks.
    Yes, it showed the results for the Intel card, not the NVIDIA. Thanks for that tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher824 View Post
    Yes, it showed the results for the Intel card, not the NVIDIA. Thanks for that tidbit.
    The test does provide instructions for by-passing the integrated Intel graphics on a laptop. Suggest you read them and try again.

Edit: copy and paste from the test...

"AMD Switchable graphics and NVIDIA Optimus are both systems to help save battery power by automatically switching between a high performance discrete GPU and a lower power integrated GPU. The following instructions explain how to force a Laptop to use discrete graphics (for example whilst benchmarking).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/Ho...screte-GPUs/97
    Last edited by FootplatePhil; September 19th, 2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: add text from test instructions
    Phil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FootplatePhil View Post
    The test does provide instructions for by-passing the integrated Intel graphics on a laptop. Suggest you read them and try again.

Edit: copy and paste from the test...

"AMD Switchable graphics and NVIDIA Optimus are both systems to help save battery power by automatically switching between a high performance discrete GPU and a lower power integrated GPU. The following instructions explain how to force a Laptop to use discrete graphics (for example whilst benchmarking).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/Ho...screte-GPUs/97
    Tried that just now, and it did show the card this time, but stated "Relative performance n/a - benchmarks incomplete" for the card. I just don't think they have my card on file, cant find it in their lookup either - Nvidia RTX 2070 (Mobile Max-Q)

GTX 1650 Super may be your best option. A lot faster than your existing card, but with similar power requirements, and relatively cheap (I wouldn't push much higher with a 350 watt PSU).

That is exactly what I settled on!