Graphics / lag

I've just purchased 2019 and the lag on it is crazy. I have to move all the sliders down to the bottom just to make it playable.

I have an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM but having used the benchmark test program it became clear that my graphics card is the issue (got about 8%!)

So clearly I need to invest here but this is where I am having problems. There are hundreds of different graphics cards and I have no idea where to start.

I appreciate it's "how long is a piece of string" as it depends upon how much I want to invest. I'm not a massive gamer so I am really only investing for Trainz itself.

So are there any pointers out there on where to start and what to look for? I'm not anticipating running everything in Ultra HD but I would certainly like to be able to ramp up the settings so I can appreciate a lot more of the detail.

Any help or advice would be most welcome. Thank you in advance :)

I suspect you might find that your thread is moved to the 'Parts & Labour" forum. In the mean time it would be helpful to know your current config in more detail (particularly your current graphics card, and the wattage of your power supply).

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Below is from the bench test. Power supply is a Corsair 350W

UserBenchmarks: Game 15%, Desk 81%, Work 14%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 86.6%
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770 - 8.5%
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB - 54.5%
HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011) - 50.8%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 C13 2x8GB - 75.5%
MBD: Asus B150M-A/M.2

Thank you for that. I had no idea I even needed to consider that so that information has proved incredibly useful.

Much appreciated.

As John said: Use Nvidia. I have been using GTX1060 quite satisfactory (6Gb). But when I got a laptop with a GTX1650, it outperforms the desktop! Anyhow, the investment is well worth, almost guaranteed it will solve your problem.

GTX 1650 Super may be your best option. A lot faster than your existing card, but with similar power requirements, and relatively cheap (I wouldn't push much higher with a 350 watt PSU).

Yes, it showed the results for the Intel card, not the NVIDIA. Thanks for that tidbit.

The test does provide instructions for by-passing the integrated Intel graphics on a laptop. Suggest you read them and try again.

Edit: copy and paste from the test...

"AMD Switchable graphics and NVIDIA Optimus are both systems to help save battery power by automatically switching between a high performance discrete GPU and a lower power integrated GPU. The following instructions explain how to force a Laptop to use discrete graphics (for example whilst benchmarking).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-to-force-Optimus-or-Switchable-discrete-GPUs/97

Last edited:
The test does provide instructions for by-passing the integrated Intel graphics on a laptop. Suggest you read them and try again.

Edit: copy and paste from the test...

"[FONT=&]AMD Switchable graphics and NVIDIA Optimus are both systems to help save battery power by automatically switching between a high performance discrete GPU and a lower power integrated GPU. The following instructions explain how to force a Laptop to use discrete graphics (for example whilst [/FONT]benchmarking[FONT=&]).[/FONT]

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-to-force-Optimus-or-Switchable-discrete-GPUs/97

Tried that just now, and it did show the card this time, but stated "Relative performance n/a - benchmarks incomplete" for the card. I just don't think they have my card on file, cant find it in their lookup either - Nvidia RTX 2070 (Mobile Max-Q)

GTX 1650 Super may be your best option. A lot faster than your existing card, but with similar power requirements, and relatively cheap (I wouldn't push much higher with a 350 watt PSU).

That is exactly what I settled on! :)

That is exactly what I settled on! :)

Just wanted to close this off.

I've now bought the GTX 1650 Super and all I can say is ... wow!

I've thrown almost everything up to ultra and fps has not dropped below 30. It's like playing a completely new game. It's gorgeous!

So thank you to all those that contributed. This hardware upgrade has made my day :)

I've thrown almost everything up to ultra and fps has not dropped below 30. It's like playing a completely new game. It's gorgeous!

So thank you to all those that contributed. This hardware upgrade has made my day :)

Congratulations on your upgrade.

Your Welcome :)

The latest graphics cards, even the more modest ones, are certainly a revelation when you jump from a few generations behind!

Back