Austral Bay issues

K163

Hi all,

I’ve just downloaded versions 2-5 of Austral Bay. For some reason the terrain is flat and lacks any textures, meaning the track and scenery is all floating in mid air. Anyone know how to fix this?

The Cheers
Craig.

Hi Craig --

Now, from memory, I think I made this version in TRS2004? Which is, what, about 200 years ago?

And you are trying to run it in T:ANE? Or TRS19? And you wonder why it's not working?

My suggestion -- import it into T:ANE. If it is OK in T:ANE make a minor modification, perhaps just adding an extra tree somewhere. Save. It might save in the T:ANE format which will work in TRS19.

Tell me if you have success.

Phil

Hi Phil,

using TRS19, and don’t have TANE on my current computer (and it stuffed up on my old one). I also assumed newer versions had backwards capability.

How do I import into trs19? I assume it’s different to a simple install

Craig.

Craig --

Just to see what was going on I downloaded Austral Bay v5 via FTP, from The White Pages. This gave me just the v5 cdp file with I dragged and dropped into TRS19 Content Manager. When I opened TRS19 and went to edit v5 the terrain was all there. The track was shown by dashed lines. To get the track, textures, structures, ... I would have to download a whole heap of dependencies which I decided not to do. I suspect that even if I did a few/some/many (choose as appropriate) of them would either be missing or faulty.

So I suggest that routes made decades ago might not always work in TRS19. So may, some will not.

You might have more success with my "Port Ogden & Northern TS12". This is an updated and extended version of Austral Bay.

Phil

There is a bug introduced in SP1 for TRS19 that causes this behavior. I had no problem bringing in TRS04 routes until the update. Now it is common to see the problem described. Hopefully a fix is coming real soon.:hehe:

William

Will --

OK thanks for that. It explains a lot -- I dragged and dropped the cdp file into a pre-SP1 version of TRS19. I use this version for route construction because of the easy access to the Do / Undo buttons at the top of the screen.

So Craig, what I wrote above may not apply to you. But the TRS12 PO&N may work.

Phil

You re-spark my interest !

Craig --

Just to see what was going on I downloaded Austral Bay v5 via FTP, from The White Pages. This gave me just the v5 cdp file with I dragged and dropped into TRS19 Content Manager. When I opened TRS19 and went to edit v5 the terrain was all there. The track was shown by dashed lines. To get the track, textures, structures, ... I would have to download a whole heap of dependencies which I decided not to do. I suspect that even if I did a few/some/many (choose as appropriate) of them would either be missing or faulty.

So I suggest that routes made decades ago might not always work in TRS19. So may, some will not.

You might have more success with my "Port Ogden & Northern TS12". This is an updated and extended version of Austral Bay.

Phil

I've been consumed with trying to get Western Pa. realistic routes lately but I think I'll take a break and see If I can get "Port Ogden & Northern TS12" to work for me.

Do you have an opinion on how Industrail would work in TRS 2019 ?

I really like your work but prefer the more linear non-table-top routes because of my own mental limitations.

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

Will --

OK thanks for that. It explains a lot -- I dragged and dropped the cdp file into a pre-SP1 version of TRS19. I use this version for route construction because of the easy access to the Do / Undo buttons at the top of the screen.

So Craig, what I wrote above may not apply to you. But the TRS12 PO&N may work.

Phil

You're welcome, I remembered that you use pre-SP1 because of the undo button issue. I can import TS12 routes with no problem in TRS19 SP1 or TRS19 Platinum.

Phil. I've always used your routes as they are perfect for freight car movement sessions.

Thanks for all the enjoyment over the years,

William

You're welcome, I remembered that you use pre-SP1 because of the undo button issue. I can import TS12 routes with no problem in TRS19 SP1 or TRS19 Platinum.

Phil. I've always used your routes as they are perfect for freight car movement sessions.

Thanks for all the enjoyment over the years,

William

Agreed regarding the routes. I've always enjoyed the sessions and nice details!

This is why I still keep TS12 around. I processed a ca. January 2004 copy of a TRS2004 route I created through TS12 and brought the route into TRS2019. The route came in alright then I laughed at my landscaping and track work.

Hi Willy --

IndustRail? I did a very quick upgrade to T:ANE some time ago but never got around to uploading it to the Download Station. From memory I think I might have changed the track and re-coloured the toxic water. I can't remember what else I did.

If you want to try it, download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sirpt8agpvtizy/IndustRail TS12 to TANE - plus session.cdp?dl=0

Tell me how it goes.

" ... more linear non-table-top routes ... ." Hmm. That kinda rules out most of my recent work, don't it. Have you tried "Rivercide"? Both versions.

Phil

... port ogden & northern ts12; unmodified in trs19 (105096) ... no missings, no faulties ... 9 years old - still having fun ... i like the muddy water ... worth to revival ...

port-ogden-ts12-by-philskene-in-trs19-%28105096%29.jpg

port-ogden-%26-northern-ts12-by-philskene-in-trs19-%28105096%29.jpg

... just as industrail ts12 in trs19 ...

industrail-ts12-by-philskene-in-trs19.jpg

zsuda --

That plan view of PO&N. The light brown central area. Wow -- that really brings back some memories. The feeling of awe when I first tried sniper's MSTS original of this route. You started off in an area that felt like, say, temperate rain forest. Then you went through a tunnel and, blam, you are in arid desert. The another tunnel and another terrain variation. Another tunnel, another ... . It just blew me away.

It was a feature that I attempted to replicate in the Trainz version.

Update to TRS19? Hmm. It would be an enormous task. I could probably keep the track work, though maybe remove the AI track? Clear out all the textures. New PBR textures. New structures? SpeedTrees. TurfFX. I'll have to think about it.

Phil

Hi Phil, I have used your early routes for years, and still using, in TS10,TS12 and Tane. Don't have or want 2019. I have a mega route called the Bigskene. It has all your routes in one big layout. Includes Austral Bay and Industrail. Takes over 3 hours to get from one end to the other. Thankyou for all the fun you have created over the years.

Phil,
I've had your IndustRail 12-TANE version for a while. It looks pretty good in TANE version 105766. I was just running it a bit today, after seeing this thread. It took me about an hour and a half to just get from the lower left corner to the grain silos way up in the upper right corner.

The only things that stand out are the red or purple cargo loading doors on some industries. I'm guessing they aren't playing well with the buildings they are on, or perhaps they were supposed to be those garish colors to aid the delivery guys in locating the doors to the businesses. :eek:

Some of the buildings like to pop in and out, and that's probably a level of detail thing, but not a game breaker. I've no idea how to make that stop happening though.

In the test session, I gave my driver a location and let him go. He maneuvered around the many AI trains that were rushing around on the route. It was really neat to just sit back and enjoy your work on the route. I ended up dropping off some boxcars at the submarine that was in the dry dock. While there, I watched as the workers did some watertight integrity tests on the sub, flooding the dry dock to submerge the sub and check for leaks. That drydock is a pretty neat thing. The only oddity was that the water didn't change color to blue when it flooded into the area, but the sub was definitely mostly submerged. Very cool!

I tried to download some of the many sessions you had for the route prior to the TANE update, but none of them worked for the updated TANE version. When I downloaded them, they didn't even show up under the IndustRail TS12 to TANE route. If tweaked, would any of them actually work in the TANE version?

As to updating the route to TRS19, you are right. That would be a Herculean task. The route is huge! If you didn't get crazy with TurfX and lots of ground covering, you might be able to upgrade it a bit. Right now, with all the industry and concrete, there wouldn't be too much of a need for grassy ground cover. A few trees here and there, and maybe making it seasonal would pretty much be all you needed.

The TANE update really looks good though. If the old sessions could be amended to work with TANE, that would be great!

We have so many wonderful routes that you've provided us with. I just wish I'd been involved in all this years ago, as it seems I'm still trying to catch up with enjoying all the Philskene goodness that's been created in the past. :Y:

Thanks for all these wonderful routes, Phil. They are all special in their own ways.

Gary

Hi Gary --

I missed your post above. Thanks for the reminder.

I've just installed and looked at IndustRail. Wow!~! -- it is big. Bigger than I remember it. It was a long term project that just grew and grew. Over several years I'd gradually add more and more modules to it until it became what there now is on the Download Station.

Using the Edit Environment function to first reset the colours and then reduce the brightness and fog improves the appearance. But by comparison to modern routes it looks quite sparse, until the route reverses direction and heads downwards to the port area.

Those big industrial buildings are by ish6. The doors, both red and purple, look exactly as I remember them in earlier editions of Trainz. And yes, one "feature" is the way they suddenly pop up. That's the reason I used the buildings with walkways between buildings as separators -- an attempt to control the viewing distance.

Sessions. I'm not even sure if the portals are functioning. Nope -- I ain't going to revisit the old sessions to see if they work 'cause I think I'd then waste a lot of time making sure they did. I'll leave that to others. Perhaps try changing the map that the sessions call up, at two locations in the config.txt file of the sessions.

I'm still wondering how it would look if bought up to TRS19 standards. Or should I start work on a few other layouts I have in mind? Hmmm.

Phil

Phil,
Yes, I'm with Zsuda on this. IndustRail is so freaking big, that it would take a long time for you to update it to 2019 standards. I think it stands fine on it's own in the TANE version. I think you have other layouts that would be better served with such an update.

In a related vein, I am thrilled with the way Rivercide Electric looks with that covering of snow for the 4th session. It is an amazing transformation, it is downright chilly, and gives a whole new feeling to driving the route, especially with the early morning sunlight. Amazing! :Y:

Thanks so much for the seasons and the update for that route.

Gary

Hi Phil

Last month I downloaded Port Ogden & Northern TS12 into 19. Looked good and the three sessions all ran. Only problem I think was some of the commodities were faulty. Had a fun couple of days running them and bring back of good memories. Really surprised it ran right out of box, so to speak.

Rob

Back