Trying to Fix the Water in JR's freeware Whiteshore Route

Heinrich505

I have been working on JR's freeware Whiteshore Route in surveyor, doing some updating.

I am working with TANE version 105766, but the same problem with the water appears in TRS19 version 105096.

The water is white. It's as if there was a fast freeze and the whole harbor is solid ice. If there were some hockey players in the CM, I'd put them out on the "ice" and have a crowd watching from the shore.

Working with surveyor In TANE, I deleted all the water first, and then painted the sea bed a deep blue-green. I then did some fixing of the shoreline, as much of it seemed a washed out yellow or white. Finally I added water. But, it came out as solid white again. It isn't clear. Boats and piers are all floating on it as they should, but you can't see through it to the bottom.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug with the route that can't be fixed? I am really a novice with surveyor, so it could very well be operator error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heinrich505

Heinrich,
Since a picture is worth 1000 words, a video should even be better! I suspect the Environmental controls need some tweaking.
Check out this video, and see if it helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFO6LPAsNCI

Ron

I have been working on JR's freeware Whiteshore Route in surveyor, doing some updating.

I am working with TANE version 105766, but the same problem with the water appears in TRS19 version 105096.

The water is white. It's as if there was a fast freeze and the whole harbor is solid ice. If there were some hockey players in the CM, I'd put them out on the "ice" and have a crowd watching from the shore.

Working with surveyor In TANE, I deleted all the water first, and then painted the sea bed a deep blue-green. I then did some fixing of the shoreline, as much of it seemed a washed out yellow or white. Finally I added water. But, it came out as solid white again. It isn't clear. Boats and piers are all floating on it as they should, but you can't see through it to the bottom.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug with the route that can't be fixed? I am really a novice with surveyor, so it could very well be operator error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heinrich505

K4andT1lover,
Bingo!!! Thanks to you and Approach Medium, I now have proper harbor water. I know I'd seen that video before, but I'd forgotten all about the environment settings. That was exactly the fix. Thanks so much!

Gary

When I first read this, my stomach dropped to my knees, and I'm glad that's all it was!

Back in the TRS2009 days, I had a crash with while working on my big route. For years I was stuck with iced over rivers and creeks that appeared to have a layer of ice on them. At that point, I figured the route was lost because I could never fix the water problem so I lived with it even with a fresh install. When I upgraded to TS2010, the water became absolutely crystal clear. Talk about clear water, no amount of coloring anywhere brought the water back to watercolor! The problem eventually went away when I upgraded to TS12 and the ice to clear water issue is no longer.

JCitron,
Sorry, I didn't mean to give you terrible flashbacks. :eek: Yes, the environment settings, something I had forgotten I had to adjust, were the fix. So much to learn and so much to remember. Doggone learning curve. :D

Interestingly enough, there is a river on the route, but the river was perfectly fine, with the water crystal clearn. But, the ocean was really messed up. When I changed the environment to fix the ocean, the river stayed the same. Go figure.

Heinrich505

Glad it fixed the problem.
When I first ran the RBMN route, the rivers and lakes were a horrible sickly yellow. It was the same issue as your white.
Ron

Back