What does the Isolation Switch on wearsprada's SD9's Do?

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I purchased the Southern SD9 as part of the Labor Day Sale, and I just looked at it in game and noticed the 'Isolation Switch' feature. It has two settings: 'Run' and 'Start/Stop/Isolate'. What is its purpose?

Its so you can isolate the loco form the consist. The 2 use's of this ( that I'm aware of) is to ether shut the loco down, or just isolate it form the consist so it wont respond to throttle commands. Its a nice feature i wish more locos had, as it can add some interesting things, like switching dead loco's, or ones that are running but your moving then with another loco for whatever reason and you didn't bother connecting the MU cables.

A loco isolation switch, isolates the generator from connecting, as when you do a cold start up, or shut down, of a loco diesel prime mover engine block, you don't want it connected to the generator, traction motors, or any other electronics.

Last edited:
I purchased the Southern SD9 as part of the Labor Day Sale, and I just looked at it in game and noticed the 'Isolation Switch' feature. It has two settings: 'Run' and 'Start/Stop/Isolate'. What is its purpose?

I understand what this does, if indeed it does shut off the locomotive......:p

If possible could you past the link for buying his Asset? Would like to purchase and check out the Scripting on it too........:)

You'd think that after umpteen years of development for this 'sim', things of this type wouldn't have to be 'force' scripted by 3rd party content creators and would be part of the program itself!

You'd think that after umpteen years of development for this 'sim', things of this type wouldn't have to be 'force' scripted by 3rd party content creators and would be part of the program itself!

This is because these things are after the fact add-ons and not part of the original spec models. Keep in mind too that not all locomotives have that option, and the company is located in Australia and not the US so this option may not even be available.

I'll bet Australians start/stop their locomotives, too. Probably rotate the switch in the opposite direction, tho. heh
As for isolation, it might be just a matter of vocabulary. They may call it Engine Only, or something similar, but it still functions the same.

By force scripted, I mean things have to be rigged in the script to make it work. Such as, you don't really shut the engine off. You just turn off or mute the engine sound. Then keep the throttle from being advanced. And keep the script from depleting the fuel queue. See how frustrating this is. And I don't even do scripting! ugh. :D

I'll bet Australians start/stop their locomotives, too. Probably rotate the switch in the opposite direction, tho. heh
As for isolation, it might be just a matter of vocabulary. They may call it Engine Only, or something similar, but it still functions the same.

By force scripted, I mean things have to be rigged in the script to make it work. Such as, you don't really shut the engine off. You just turn off or mute the engine sound. Then keep the throttle from being advanced. And keep the script from depleting the fuel queue. See how frustrating this is. And I don't even do scripting! ugh. :D

Back in the olden days, before there was a thing such as noise complaints by NIMBYs and fuel conservation, engines were left running 24/7. I remember the local rail yard leaving its SW9 and GP7s running all the time and road engines pulling in and sitting for hours running.

Back