Restarting a saved drive session

Orpheus2000

I've got a layout with some twenty trains which run to AI schedules. At some point I must have saved a session that was "live" in place of the session as created. The result is that when I start the session the trains are all where they "landed" when I did the careless save and they all hare away at whatever speed setting they had. I have moved most back to their original start positions, generally in storage sidings, but they still all rush off and merrily derail. I had expected them to obey the "Driver set up" schedules from point one, but they all try to continue their interrupted schedules.

I've tried a number of approaches, but it looks as though I am going to have to delete all the trains and reinstall them, that is to say, effectively delete the session. That will just cost time, and I have loads of patience fortunately, but I bet there is a simple way, which I'm probably too dumb to see, of resetting the session to it's original state.

Incidentally, it would be nice if one could print the schedules so that editing and reinstalling would be easy!

I've got a layout with some twenty trains which run to AI schedules. At some point I must have saved a session that was "live" in place of the session as created. The result is that when I start the session the trains are all where they "landed" when I did the careless save and they all hare away at whatever speed setting they had. I have moved most back to their original start positions, generally in storage sidings, but they still all rush off and merrily derail. I had expected them to obey the "Driver set up" schedules from point one, but they all try to continue their interrupted schedules.

I've tried a number of approaches, but it looks as though I am going to have to delete all the trains and reinstall them, that is to say, effectively delete the session. That will just cost time, and I have loads of patience fortunately, but I bet there is a simple way, which I'm probably too dumb to see, of resetting the session to it's original state.

Incidentally, it would be nice if one could print the schedules so that editing and reinstalling would be easy!

My experience with this is you have to create a new Session, hit Pause, set up schedules, then hit Save, then hit Save As session name and add test to the name, so now you have an original, and one to play with. Exit and open the test session to see if the drivers act as expected (yes, they start driving right away). If it needs adjustment, go back and open the original and hit Pause, then readjust the schedules, then save and save as test2, etc... until you get it correct. Always hit pause when you open the original so your drivers don't take off on you. You could add a wait for xx seconds/minutes to each driver at the beginning of their schedule to give you time to hit pause before they move.

Again, this is my experience, i'm sure there are many approaches to this.

I agree it would be nice if we could print the schedules for those reasons.

You can restart all rules by going into "Surveyor-mode" while driving.
Choose Edit Session and located at the bottom is Restart All Rules.

I also setup a "Driving" session like we did in the olden days. It's a bit more cumbersome, but I do all my driving in there and if I need to edit the route, I can still do so. When I save, I choose Do not save session unless there's no choice. This ensures the changes are made to the route and not the session, and the session doesn't get saved out of sync.

Last edited:
Stagecoach, JCitron and Christopher 824, thank you all for your responses. Sadly, I had tried all of your suggestions with no luck. It was just unfortunate that I effectively picked up a saved "Drive" session instead of the original session (I think they were both labelled as "Default"). Normally I start a drive session by opening the session for edit, setting up the profiles, then unpausing. What rubs salt in the wound is that for all previous routes I had recorded all schedule details meticulously in Excel, whereas this time..... I'll make a copy, delete a couple of trains, then reinstate them, if that works I'll do the same with the rest.

On goes the coffee machine for the late night session. There are some advantages to being retired and single if you're into trains:D

Back