Continuous Loop ?

K4andT1lover

Hi, all.
It's a bit premature, but I was wondering if it possible to have an AI freight consist travel a closed loop, basically forever when in a driving session?
I have a PennCentral mainline crossing over the Bethlehem Branch, and I'd like to set up a freight train to cross back and forth without having to really do anything to it after the initial setup.
Thanks,
Ron

An alternative to a closed loop is to use portals at each end of the track either to turn back a single train or to produce a selection of trains at a given interval. Peter

There are "Signal Thingy" and ???????? (thinking), which help coax a train to exit a closed loop.

You could also use invisatrack, and lay it off to the side, and super impose it, sliding it across, laying it in register on top of the incoming track.

You could also look at my InstantMoveTrain driver command. You can use it to turn a train around instantly. Also look at the Enable Repeat command (or something like that).

if it is going in a circle (like the same train will loop off of the scenic area) i'd set up like 4 track marks so the the train will go through all of them (the train will reverse in some cases on a three or four mark loop) then have the command of it hitting all the track marks repeat

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm learning some new things . I did the portal solution on the Strasburg route; where I had an Amtrak train coming and going at Paradise. I was curious what other solutions where available. Thanks!

Here is a strangeness that I found in TRS19. I made a circle of track and place trackmarks at the 3 o'clock position, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. I placed a loco at 12 and issued the Drive to trackmark 3 o'clock. The loco drove forward and stopped at 3 o'clock. I then issued the Drive to trackmark 12 o'clock and the loco went forward around the loop to the 12 o'clock position instead of backing up. I repeated this several times to different positions on the circle. The loco always continued going in the direction that it last traveled. Now I don't use a lot of driver commands except to stage a meet with another train during a session so I can't say if this behavior is different than previous version but it is contrary to what has been assumed a computer controlled train would do. The assumption was it would follow the shortest path it could calculate. Any way the solution is to issue the change direction command if your "AI" driver misbehaves.

William

Some time ago I setup a test to check track priority markers and train priority. I had a loop with 2 passing sidings and 2 spurs. Likewise I had track marks in key places on the main loop. Train would certainly stop and go backwards to go to closest track mark if you didn't have the four marks as it did indeed try the shortest route. I did however, manage to get two trains running the loop continuously with one taking the properly marked (priority) siding and waiting for the faster train to pass. Signals need be setup just right too and signals (invisible) right at the passing siding "exit" where it connects to the main line again. This was about a year ago so I don't remember the specifics.

EDIT - UPDATE: Somethings does appear to be changed.. When I wonder? I setup the same test loop and sure enough, loco keeps going forward with only two track marks (at 12 and 3).

Last edited:
My solution to this is a logical one and I use it at several runs.

Start at one end giving the order for the consist to navigate to a track mark at the other end. At that end you should have a passing loop with plenty of room. do a "run around the train" (this woks in diesels or electric but not on steam locos with tender). The detached loco will go and couple at the other end of your string of cars (make sure there is ample distance from the point of re-coupling to the turnouts). Now do another command to navigate to the starting point where you should have the same set-up. And start all over again. Easier to do than say.

Some time ago I setup a test to check track priority markers and train priority. I had a loop with 2 passing sidings and 2 spurs. Likewise I had track marks in key places on the main loop. Train would certainly stop and go backwards to go to closest track mark if you didn't have the four marks as it did indeed try the shortest route. I did however, manage to get two trains running the loop continuously with one taking the properly marked (priority) siding and waiting for the faster train to pass. Signals need be setup just right too and signals (invisible) right at the passing siding "exit" where it connects to the main line again. This was about a year ago so I don't remember the specifics.

EDIT - UPDATE: Somethings does appear to be changed.. When I wonder? I setup the same test loop and sure enough, loco keeps going forward with only two track marks (at 12 and 3).

You need direction markers as well to keep the AI towing the line in the right direction. I do this all the time for balloon loops for my trolleys running on my Gloucester Terminal Electric route, and to ensure the AI exit the reverse loop, I place a track marks far enough away from the switches to ensure they don't get any stupid ideas an navigate backwards to exit out of the loop instead of going around it.

Last edited:
Absolutely - on one of my DIY routes I call "Far Horizons" I have 30 plus AI drivers running continuously and autonomously for hours at a time over what is essentially a large number of gigantic loops of double track operations.
The drivers haul freight between many interactive industries and passengers between stations, many on similar circuits.
I use track marks extensively and the route is properly signaled and speed-posted to avoid cornfield meets and congestion.
Double-track operations mostly removes the need for track direction markers, though these are used at some complex yard entry and exit points.
The AI consists clock up hundreds of virtual miles in a typical session of continuous operation, loading and dropping off freight and commodities at numerous interactive industries along their path.
At choke points like the Seaport, I use large yards with sidings at both ends of the port to regulate incoming and outgoing traffic.
Most industries and stations are on through sidings - not terminal ones, so I use track marks and command sequences to ensure drivers can continue their session without a lot of shunting involved.
At the Seaport Station terminal, the HST consist has cabs at both ends and I issue a command for the driver to switch ends for the return (approx. 40 mile loop journey).
Each loop is so big that it is imperceptible to drivers, except on a zoomed-out map.

infiniteloops.png

Last edited:
Back