Naming tracks and switches

sparkyinak

It is apparent that one can name a section of track like "Mainline" or "Copper Mine Spur" yet I am unable to find out how to do it including on the Wiki page or YouTube. Having to make research such simple functions is a big disservice to the program. Not everyone using the program are computer wizards.

If you want to rename a track segment, remember this has to be don per-segment, you click on the ? then clicking on the asset to change the properties. With that said, you are better off using track marks which are visible in driver as mentioned above. The alternative is to use a scenery object such as a nameable sign, but this is scenery-only. You do this in exactly the same fashion by clicking on the ? then clicking on the asset.

I use a combination of both. A sign that sits beside the tracks to display a name such as Enfield Jct, or begin Southeast Div. along with a track mark that also has the same text.

Track marks are accessed via the third tab on the tracks pull-out.

When you place a track mark down, the properties page opens up automatically for renaming. The system will automatically assign an alphanumerical name for the track mark such as Trackmark 1456. These aren't very useful for our needs.

You can also rename switches, signals, and most other things using the same properties ? on the interface.

I thought that how it was done, saved it and and the names don't appear in Driver mode even when on top of it. Yet the switch name appears

Switch and signal names will appear because they can be important information when manually controlling trains. The name given to a segment of track, a tree, rock or most other scenery items has no significance to the operation of trains.

Trackmarks and some other track objects are meant to be invisible, including their names, in Driver mode.

Switch and signal names will appear because they can be important information when manually controlling trains.
From my experience Trainz does not know what turnouts to throw, by reading the names you give them, as Trainz does not "Drive To" turnout names, nor to signal names. Trainz will throw an un-named signal, and un-named turnout by sending a digital signal to them, allocating a pathway through them.

I have named every one of thousands of my turnouts with the same identical "tilde" symbol: `as it is the smallest unobtrusive symbol on the keyboard. And AI deciphers the correct path, even though my turnouts have no actual individual names.

Trainz does navigate by "Driving To" Trackmarker names (which you can rename to your liking).

You can make Trackmarkers, and any other trackside asset, that is invisible in Driver, to make it visible in Driver, by editing the asset config file from the default: "surveyor only 1", to instead be "surveyor only 0"

I name my tracks with a: "C+ SO Note (Track) White Nameable" - by itareus , KUID: <KUID:243828:1938> (which I also edited their config file: "surveyor only 1", to instead be "surveyor only 0")

I have thousands of signs, buildings, and stations, that are all named, and they show up on the Minimap view.

Also useful is: "Instruction sign, 12 lines scripted" - by Willem2 , KUID2: <KUID2:97008:29100:1>

I always dislike the hugely long non-descript name, ie: "Turnout Number 245362"

If I do re-name them, I make it short, ie: "CP Conpit" or more explicitly descriptive , ie: "CP Conpit Track 1 #1-#2", or ie: "CP Conpit Track 2 #2-#1"

Last edited:
Back