Setting up signals in Surveyor

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I'm updating Ceebee's Highland Valley to TRS19 standards, which includes PBR ground textures, procedural track, TurfFx, Enhanced Interlocking Tower, superelevation, all the bells and whistles. Anyway, here's my question: I'm setting up the signals on the double-track mainline and I'm using Jointed Rail's SL signals, but I'm not certain how many signals, and associative blocks, to put between Greenwood and Lumby. I name my signals to the nearest tenth of a mile, and the last signal in Greenwood, going clockwise around the double-track mainline, is at milepost 99.9 and the first signal in Lumby is at milepost 101.9, so two miles between the two signals. Is that enough distance for one distance signal? Two distant signals? Three? Four?

Depends on the era and railroad. 2 miles between signals is often the normal standard these days in class 1 rails like CN here in Canada, and others like CSX NS in the U.S. This also becomes true in single track territory for most modern siding lengths give or take. Many of these railroads run 10K trains with some pushing as high as 12K I believe (haven't seen it on CN yet).

If your running an older CTC even in modern you may wind up having smaller sections of 1 mile to 1.5 miles. It's usually all about brake distance and speed.

Thanks

Sean

Back