Acronyms

lenscab

Hi ,,, I am having so much trouble trying to understand a lot of the posts because of the use of acronyms, for example what is PM,IM CCP and a lot of others.
It would be nice to have a database of all these with their meanings.
Len

PM is Personal Message, IM is Indexed Mesh and CCP is Content Creator Plus.
I have difficulty with acronyms FWIW and the like commonly used on the internet. For any terms I simply enter them in google to find the answer. The three items you queried I knew were Trainz terms so I prefaced my google search with Trainz eg Trainz what does CCP mean.

Ken

PM is actually Progressive Mesh which is the mesh format that was originally used in Trainz. PEV's tools will convert a progressive mesh (PM) to indexed mesh (IM).

If you think reading the forums is hard you should try the Trainz Discord server where you are bombarded with acronyms several times a minute. I'm sure people make them up on the fly.

It's not just acronyms. Terms too. Different countries have different terms. For example, (I see you are in UK), in the US a "sleeper" is a "tie" or "railroad tie." I was reading posts and highly confused by discussions on "sleepers."

Hi ,,, I am having so much trouble trying to understand a lot of the posts because of the use of acronyms, for example what is PM,IM CCP and a lot of others.
It would be nice to have a database of all these with their meanings.
Len

Look, it’s all very simple. PM was replaced by IM which IMHO was AOK, and you can always use PEV PM2IM to convert PM to IM anyway, then use CM to upload to the DLS, but for TANE your IM must have LOD which can be LM, but not with scenery because you’ll get a VE for sure. And of course for TRS and an FBX with PBR which includes your AO, you still need LOD but it’s different LOD. CM is still needed and its DBR and EDR are much faster now, but on the other hand PEV PM2IM and Images2TGA are useless and BMP and TGA are being superseded by PNG. Don’t worry because PS and GIMP are still good for that, although a lot of us are moving to SP.. A quick PM to the CRG or an OP on the forum is always an option if you are like, WTF?

HTH

Dino

Look, it’s all very simple. PM was replaced by IM which IMHO was AOK, and you can always use PEV PM2IM to convert PM to IM anyway, then use CM to upload to the DLS, but for TANE your IM must have LOD which can be LM, but not with scenery because you’ll get a VE for sure. And of course for TRS and an FBX with PBR which includes your AO, you still need LOD but it’s different LOD. CM is still needed and its DBR and EDR are much faster now, but on the other hand PEV PM2IM and Images2TGA are useless and BMP and TGA are being superseded by PNG. Don’t worry because PS and GIMP are still good for that, although a lot of us are moving to SP.. A quick PM to the CRG or an OP on the forum is always an option if you are like, WTF?

HTH

Dino

LOL :hehe:

Back