A ride on the Boston Elevated Main Line.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
No this isn't a video!

In 1967 my dad took me for a trip I'll never forget. When I was young, my dad would bring me to his workplace at least once during my school vacations. This daylong excursion would involve taking the commuter rail from Bradford (Haverhill) to North Station in Boston where we would take the trolley to his office on Boyleston Street in the Prudential Tower. If this wasn't enough, the view from the 23rd floor was truly awesome. Using a telescope, I could watch all the activity all around me like watching an active model railroad, or today in Cities: Skylines.

This day was different all around. We boarded the usual B&M Budd RDC 6-car train, which made it's usual stops along the way. We passed through Lawrence, after stopping at the old station there, and then passed by the site of the old engine house and turntable near Union Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6842917,-71.1523411,256m/data=!3m1!1e3

Today there's a Valley Sports Arena in that location, but back then there was a number of diesels steaming away in the cold morning since this was February vacation. I don't remember the old models there since I was quite small, but I do remember seeing the fronts of them and steam coming out all over.

We crossed the street and took the Green Line trolley from the lower station - more about this later. This was a PCC trolley as usual, but instead of being the common single-ended car, this was one of the rare double-ended cars the MTA had purchased from Dallas. I didn't know it at the time, of course being all of 6 years old, but anyway these cars were converted to single-end and assigned to the Mattapan-Milton line so that was even more rare even though I didn't realize it.

I went through the day, and then we went home. We didn't take the trolley back to North Station, but instead took the trolley from Prudential station to Park Street where we walked the connector tunnel between Park Street and Washington Street, aka Downtown Crossing today, where we got on an Orange Line EL car heading outbound.

Car was crowded, but we managed to get a seat up in the front near the window where I could watch the motorman drive and look out the front window. After Chinatown, the old BERy Mainline headed up on to an EL structure similar to Chicago. I remember seeing the stations and signals as we rattled down the rickety elevated line. When we reached the terminus at Forest Hills, we switched sides and headed. Instead of getting off the train at North Station, we continued on the EL as it passed through Charlestown and into Somerville where we disembarked at Sullivan Square station. From what I remember, my dad said we didn't have a chance to ride all the way to Everett Square, which was the end of the line on the north side, and we had to head back to North Station to catch the train home.

The BERy had an interesting setup around North and South Stations. Up until the early 1930s there was an EL called the Atlantic Avenue Elevated, which ran more or less along Atlantic Avenue and connected North and South Stations together. This line succumbed to low ridership during the Great Depression and was scrapped. The setup at North Station was quite unique as I said. The trolley line split there with one part terminating under the EL at the corner of Canal and Causeway streets while the other part continued up on its EL parallel to the BERy mainline, stopping at North Station above, and then going on to Lechmere Square where it terminated in a loop. Up on the EL next to the trolley station, was a stub of the old Atlantic Avenue Subway which was quite visible until the whole structure was removed in the late 2000s when the new North Station was built. In addition to the trolley and Atlantic Avenue line having a platform, the BERy mainline also had a stop there as well.

In 1967 there was little thought of what would happen to the EL. In 7 short years, the north side from Everett Square to North Station was torn down and the Orange Line subway was moved from the EL to the B&M Western Division Main Line. The plan was to terminate all passenger Trains a Reading on the northside and run the third-rail electric up to Reading. The plan fell through and the line today only goes as far as Oak Grove. The damage, however, is done. The beautiful glass shed and loops are gone at Sullivan Square. Today the station name is the same, but instead is a cold concrete affair tucked under interstate 93 next to the commuter rail line which screams by at 65 mph.

The Southside from Chinatown to Forest Hills remained in place until 1987 when that portion was moved to the Southwest Corridor commuter rail line. When the Jamaica Plain trolley service was abandoned in the early 2000s, the beautiful Forest Hills station was torn down. There was a lot of protests over abandoning this line in the first place and the move to preserve this Art Nouveau station failed as well as that all fell on deaf ears.

Now for the pics.

Taken in the late 1960s: A crossing the Charles River on the Charlestown bridge. This unique drawbridge has a road underneath (Rutherford Avenue) and sadly is slated for removal!

MBTA_Main_Line_El_on_Charlestown_Bridge_in_1967.jpg

Pulling into a station. Note the old GRS colored light signals!
orangeline_stv.jpg

Pulling into North Station. The Green Line trolleys continued to the left over Causeway Street stopping in front if going to Lechmere, or terminating under the EL where you can see the shelters on the right.

El+1.jpg

Last edited:
....Continued....

Forest Hills. The trolley line, along with the busway, had a terminus here as well. You can see an outbound to Forest Hills EL train coming into the station.

aac563c0d49eea8c0ea8af698b21bf31.jpg

Here's a really early view of Sullivan Square in Somerville.
5143462850_7a5425922c_b.jpg

There were trolley lines radiating out of this station as well with ramps up to the upper level platforms.
card00368_fr.jpg

GASP: Here's a modern view.
sullivan_square23.jpg

....Continued....

Here's a modern MBTA map. The line we're interested in is the Orange Line from Oak Grove on the modern map to Forest Hills.

tumblr_ly8q7uBVxA1r54c4oo1_1280.jpg

The original line from Everett to Forest Hills including the Atlantic Avenue EL.
bostonelevated001.jpg

An interesting read John, - thank you for sharing your memories. It always seems that there are people keen on tearing down the glories of the past. The same happened here in the 1960s and 1970s with many lovely classic buildings being demolished in our cities and replaced with the usual architectural horrors of those times.

An interesting read John, - thank you for sharing your memories. It always seems that there are people keen on tearing down the glories of the past. The same happened here in the 1960s and 1970s with many lovely classic buildings being demolished in our cities and replaced with the usual architectural horrors of those times.

You're welcome, Annie I'm glad you liked this. Yeah we lost a lot of beautiful buildings as well due to "Urban Renewal" where the old classic buildings were replaced with generic glass and steel towers.

The old Forest Hills station, while not in the downtown, was quite busy in its day. The Jamaica Plain trolley line ran from Heath Street to Forest Hills and terminated at the same terminus as the EL. The trolley (tram) line was mothballed in 1982 during a "cost cutting move" that terminated the trolleys at Heath Street and they were bustituted instead. If it was such a cost-saving move, why did they keep the wires active, replace the signals, maintain the tracks, and even upgrade everything to the new LRV standards? Yeah...

In 2005 there was a push to reopen the line. The then MBTA "T" management was bus-centric since the operations manager came from the bus division. Instead of restarting the light rail upgraded line again, they stalled and delayed. The agency was brought to court and along with the T was a group of out of towners who came in to fight the restart. Yes, people who don't live in the city came in to fight it, claiming the trolleys will tie up traffic, make noise, and do the usual train thing they all hate! Then the judge suddenly stopped the case and ruled in the T's favor to rip up the trolley line. There was suspicions of payola going on and word got out quickly but nothing was done.

The thing is the people living in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood wanted the trolleys again along Centre Street to Hyde Park. This gave them faster transportation both into Boston downtown via Heath Street, or to the alternative Orange Line at Forest Hills where there's also commuter rail. Instead of a nice clean trolley line, the neighborhood is stuck with diesel buses that run unreliably in the bad weather. There's also some racial and economic reasons why this line wasn't restored, but I won't discuss that here in detail due to the nature and politics, and this seems to be the biggest reason why this line was abandoned.

This wasn't the only line that was trimmed in the 2000s. The mothballed Watertown line as well that ran from Brookline to Watertown Square met the torch in mid-2000s. That line was kept operational for access to the Watertown Square car barn, but didn't run passenger service, which was terminated in the early 1980s along with the Forest Hills line. When requested to put the so-called mothballed passenger service back into operation, the T promptly tore up the tracks while claiming that the people along the line complained about the trolleys making noise. That service now is buses as well.

What's interesting is the Jamaica Plain line from Heath Street to Forest Hills is under discussion again. There have been some studies done to restore trolley service along the route. This comes of course after ripping up and paving over the line that existed!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, JCitron. Though I'm stuck in the desert southwest now, I am a native Bostonian and spent many years going from B.C. to Park and Quincy Center to Harvard Sq. Also watching the Bruins at the garden, especially late 60s-70s.

Best,
smyers

Thanks for posting this, JCitron. Though I'm stuck in the desert southwest now, I am a native Bostonian and spent many years going from B.C. to Park and Quincy Center to Harvard Sq. Also watching the Bruins at the garden, especially late 60s-70s.

Best,
smyers

You're welcome Sir! I hope this brought back some memories of the EL. I did get a chance to ride as far as Dudley Square around 1984-85. A GF of mine and I took a trip in to visit her grandmother who lived off of Dudley Square. I drove in and we parked at Lechmere and did the usual. That was when the traffic isn't as bad as it is now and the parking was quite reasonable. I think it cost nothing to park and the train ride cost 25-cents because we didn't switch to a surface line.

We went to Boston in June 1993 and stayed at a Days Inn in Woburn, there was a single level mall called Woburn Mall that is gone now, We took the T train from Woburn station into Boston North Station which was undergoing renovations. We also rode a subway which was an elevated at North Station, is that gone now?

We were in the area in 2016 and stayed in Winthrop, across the bay. Did not take us long at all to figure we could take the Blue Line from Orient Heights into Boston. We even managed a transfer to the red line to the Harvard area where we met friends for dinner at a nice pub. I also had a class near Boston Common one year and managed to use MTA to go from Logan Airport and back. Great system!

We went to Boston in June 1993 and stayed at a Days Inn in Woburn, there was a single level mall called Woburn Mall that is gone now, We took the T train from Woburn station into Boston North Station which was undergoing renovations. We also rode a subway which was an elevated at North Station, is that gone now?
I'm familiar with that station location. The station now called Mishawum was renovated in the late 2010s and is now open with a huge park and ride parking lot above. North Station, which houses the Boston Garden, has been completely redesigned with the trolley and subway line sharing cross-level platforms underground. The EL that ran in front of the station building is gone now. I was very confused when I exited North Station first time after the demolition to Causeway Street! In some ways I was sad to see that go because the EL in front of the station gave the area a certain character that was very familiar to many people including myself.

We were in the area in 2016 and stayed in Winthrop, across the bay. Did not take us long at all to figure we could take the Blue Line from Orient Heights into Boston. We even managed a transfer to the red line to the Harvard area where we met friends for dinner at a nice pub. I also had a class near Boston Common one year and managed to use MTA to go from Logan Airport and back. Great system!
I agree Boston is an easy city to get around and the "T" especially is really easy to navigate. Compared to other cities such as London or NYC, it's quite small and compact which makes it even easier and I think more fun to explore. I used to work not far from the Public Gardens and Boston Common. The corner of Boyleston Street and Tremont Street is the location of the first electrified subway in the US and the second electrified subway in the world after London's City and South London. This tunnel is still used today and has the tightest curve on the system if not any underground system. The trolleys squeal very loudly when they pull into Boyleston Street station, located at that corner, and any new equipment requires custom bogies in order to negotiate the curve. Back when the Type 8 or Type 9 LRVs were introduced, a new trolley jumped the tracks in the tunnel on the curve and caused millions in damage to the track and tunnel.

Winthrop is an interesting small suburb of Boston. This was once a small hamlet of farms and small estate homes on the north side of Boston Harbor until the late 1800s when the Narrow Gauge built its Winthrop branch and brought in a bunch of development along with it. What is now Pleasent Street, was once the ROW that belonged to the Boston, Revere Beach, and Lynn, aka the "Narrow Gauge", a 36-inch gauge steam powered railroad that hauled parlor cars between East Boston and Lynn with a ferry connection between Boston, now where Rowe's Warf Mariott Hotel is today. (I think it's still a Mariott).

The BRB&L electrified in the early 1910s and converted its parlor cars into EMUs along with opening a tunnel between Boston and East Boston. The line went out of business in the early 1940s and the ROW between Suffolk Downs (once a dog race track) and Boston is still used today by the Blue Line. The Blue Line was opened in the early 1950s to serve Logan Airport and is unique because it runs on the old ROW albeit on standard gauge track, and also because it's dual powered with a changeover between third rail to catenary when it exits the tunnels. The reason for Catenary is due to the moisture and salt air corroding the third-rail.

There has been a very long discussion of extending the Blue Line to Lynn but as you know railroads and discussions are very long and are just that, discussions.

Back