All about railways in Indonesia (beware of HD pics)

They've come complete covered with tape and plastic wrap and even look like they're made of plastic but of course they're not. There should be a pull-tab on the plastic wrap to take it off all at once like when we get computer parts. :)

Kidding aside, wow those are really, really nice! Congratulations on the new locomotives.

Thank you!

Hopefully these brand new locomotives could replace the already-aging early batches of G26MC-2Us (CC202 series) introduced in 1986 and the early 1990s, with the G26MC-2Us displaced by those GT38ACes could be used on lighter freight trains, like the shorter distance coal train to Kertapati (Palembang) or the cement train. :)

XL-19_11140020.jpg

Wow, I was thinking where have I seen this logo before and just realized that it looks just like the Turkish Republic State Railways' (TCDD) logo. It's interesting, I wouldn't believe if someone told that Turkish State Railways is using a Dutch logo... What is more interesting is there is that I'm always using this company to go to my home in Greece as I have got my residency in Greece lately but it took me two days to realize the logo.

WAWNmpNg_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I was thinking where have I seen this logo before and just realized that it looks just like the Turkish Republic State Railways' (TCDD) logo. It's interesting, I wouldn't believe if someone told that Turkish State Railways is using a Dutch logo... What is more interesting is there is that I'm always using this company to go to my home in Greece as I have got my residency in Greece lately but it took me two days to realize the logo.

(snipped)

Technically the ones used by Turkish (TCDD) is basically following the ones commonly used by European companies, but yes I have to say that TCDD had its "wheel on wings" logo is almost the same with the 2nd version of Indonesian ones (the 3rd version is the most popular, as it features a smoother wing). :)

Technically the ones used by Turkish (TCDD) is basically following the ones commonly used by European companies, but yes I have to say that TCDD had its "wheel on wings" logo is almost the same with the 2nd version of Indonesian ones (the 3rd version is the most popular, as it features a smoother wing). :)

This happens all the time in the graphics world. I know because I worked in the industry for about a decade as a typesetter while the rest of my family did the paste-ups, illustrations, and design work. (It was a boring, frustrating, and stressful job!)

This appears to be a case of the art department not putting in a creative effort to come up with something new, or in some cases people coming in with a pencil scratch on a napkin and want that turned into something useful. Many times, the artwork is similar or a variant on something someone else did and these people insisted on using this design. This type of thing is also seen with fonts. Some big shindig design studio comes up with a certain font and everyone else ends up using it.

Anyway... sorry to go a bit off topic!

This happens all the time in the graphics world. I know because I worked in the industry for about a decade as a typesetter while the rest of my family did the paste-ups, illustrations, and design work. (It was a boring, frustrating, and stressful job!)

This appears to be a case of the art department not putting in a creative effort to come up with something new, or in some cases people coming in with a pencil scratch on a napkin and want that turned into something useful. Many times, the artwork is similar or a variant on something someone else did and these people insisted on using this design. This type of thing is also seen with fonts. Some big shindig design studio comes up with a certain font and everyone else ends up using it.

Anyway... sorry to go a bit off topic!

No problem, instead I'm very glad to hear the fact from someone who has experience on that job. :)

Another rail news from Indonesia:

E4ATSqmVgAQDrtq

(original photo taken by Azizal Farizi, uploaded to Twitter by official account of Garut Railfans community)

With the construction works for reopening the famous Cikajang Line (currently from Cibatu to Garut) had completed, Indonesian Railways is now preparing everything for the reopening of that line. As this line was very famous in the past for being the last railway line in Southeast Asia regularly served by Mallet steam locomotives like CC50 (former SS1600) and else, it is likely that the reopening of Cikajang Line would be a very big news for everyone who know this line (though it is of course would be served by diesel-hauled trains).

The above photo is taken near the grade crossing of Guntur Street, where the motor-powered draisine used for inspection had left Garut station after having the head office staffs inspecting the progress of Garut station. Actually there are two types of signals shown in that photo: the Siemens & Halske semaphore signal and the classic Krian-type roundel signal (the latter was used from the opening of Cikajang Line until its closure in 1983). Because the Krian-type ones is now preserved as a monument, the signal is painted with a cross on its roundel, indicating that the signal is completely not in use (as it has been replaced by the current Siemens & Halske semaphore signal, though it is actually taken from another line that has been converted into light signal).

It's great news hearing about a rail line being opened again rather than being closed which is usually the case.

The signals are very interesting.

Although the Siemens & Halske signals had its origin dates back from the Dutch East Indies period, but technically it mirrored those formerly used in Netherlands (with some differences suited for usage in Indonesia).

Speaking about reopening of disused rail line, the northern part of Sumatra also saw rebuilding works, which consists of following lines:

1. Continuation of Besitang Line from Binjai to Besitang (North Sumatra), closed in 2008 due to aging infrastructure
2. Southern part of former Atjeh Tram a.k.a Atjeh Staatsspoorwegen, closed in late 1970s after a big flood that destroyed one of bridges on that line (the line itself was laid using 750mm gauge)

In the end, the northern part is also planned to be reopened in the future, though as of this day there are still no plan for executing the northern part in near time due to funding limitations in the Ministry of Transportation.

*note: while the former Atjeh Tram that spans from Ulee Lheue in Aceh province to Pangkalan Susu in the North Sumatra province was built with 750mm gauge, in the end it would be reopened using 1067mm gauge (except for the Besitang - Pangkalan Susu that has no plans to be reopened for traffic again). As for the Krueng Mane to Krueng Geukueh section that was rebuilt with 1435mm tracks using the funds and technical support from SNCF (France), currently there are no plans for regauging it to 1067mm

Last edited:
[Rail News from Indonesia]

E4sQZIQVEAAKXg0

(original photo by Yusril Rizky Pratama, uploaded to Twitter by official account of Garut Railfans community)

Indonesian Railways had recently launched a new express train named "Baturraden Ekpres", serving Purwokerto to Bandung and vice versa through Cirebon and Cikampek. As the tradition for decorating the locomotive used for hauling a newly-introduced train service (either it could be passenger or freight) with wreath is a long-running tradition in Indonesia since the days of Dutch East Indies, of course the CC206 locomotive #CC206 33 deployed for hauling the first train is also decorated with the similar wreath (though it is slightly simpler than the ordinary ones).

And this is the photograph of the "Baturraden Ekspres" at Purwokerto station while waiting for its departure ceremony, complete with its engineer gave a thumb up pose to the photographer:

E4sgo2aUYAYF7CP

(original photo by Adipati Julian Sutisnawinata)

This is one of the documentary video uploaded by the official channel of PT. Kereta Api Indonesia (Indonesian Railways, KAI), with the main theme of this video is the life of dispatcher of Cipatat station (on the Bogor - Sukabumi - Padalarang line). One of the interesting fact covered in this video is the usage of "pseudo-electric light signal" at Cipatat station, where the station still employed the old Siemens & Halske mechanical signal levers for operating signals and switch machines but being coupled with modern electric light signals using the Electrical-Mechanical Interface (EMI) manufactured by PT. LEN Industri, as shown in the following pictures (taken from the official documentary video):

1. Interlocking Equipment

Cipatat-EMI-01.png

Cipatat-EMI-02.png

2. The existing Siemens & Halske mechanical handle (complete with signal locking switches)

Cipatat-EMI-03.png

Cipatat-EMI-04.png

3. Switch machine and signals (the signals are those in the background, painted in yellow and black)

Cipatat-EMI-05.png

Cipatat-EMI-06.png

As the neighboring Cipeuyeum station is still equipped with the classic Siemens & Halske mechanical signals*, the interlocking equipment at Cipatat station is fitted with special signal adapter for sending and receiving electromagnetic wave signals used for asking clear, confirming the departure of a train etc to Cipeuyeum station. The usage of "pseudo-electric light signal" system itself is considered as a rare thing in Indonesia, as the current standard adopted by Ministry of Transportation requires the mechanical signalling system of KAI to be fully converted into electric light signals (the Bogor - Sukabumi section currently underwent double tracking works is one of example of conversion from mechanical signal to electric light signal).

---------------------------------

*Cipeuyeum station was originally equipped with the Krian roundel signals a.k.a "sinyal tebeng" from its opening in 1884 until some time in 2013, where it was finally converted to the Siemens & Halske semaphore signals.

E6lXO6MUUAM6Jx-

(original photo by Adetiya Dwi Lesmana)

3rd batch units of CC205 (GT38ACe) ordered by Indonesian Railways had started its trial run after underwent a series of preparation done by Tanjungkarang locomotive depot (including the change of logo to current ones). Actually there is a unique difference seen on 3rd batch units, the airhorn on shorthood-end side is positioned slightly offset to the driver side (compared to the center-positioned ones found on 1st and 2nd batch units):

E6lXeQoVIAUdnK4

(original photo by Adetiya Dwi Lesmana)

And here is the video of its trial run, seen here stopping at Rengas station for checking every parts of locomotive:

Cheers,

Arya.

Decided to revive this thread with a video:

While this is not my video, but here is the action of coal trains at Rejosari station in Lampung Province. The 2nd train in this video is seen hauled by the recently introduced 3rd batch version of CC205 series (EMD GT38ACe), while the 1st train had 2nd batch units deployed for hauling it. In contrast, the 3rd train (empties for Tanjung Enim) had 1st batch unit #CC205 11 01 (CC205 01, the first of all CC205 series locomotives) running as the lead unit of that train.

Cheers,

Arya.

Reviving my own thread again with several news:

1. D1410 (SS1410) finally returned back into Jaladara steam train after being suspended for one and a half year due to "that horrible pandemic":

FB08CnUUcAIZRBA

(original photo by Chiara Hawnuhita)

I'm sure this would bring back the memory of Mr. Daveric (zsuda) about his late father (the former station master of Sukabumi station during the days of SS), although the D14 itself is no longer running at Bogor - Padalarang line (as they have been replaced by Pangrango and Siliwangi trains hauled by either CC206 or CC203).

2. A few days ago the South Sumatra and Lampung divisions of KAI introduced 3 units of CC202 series diesel locomotives (EMD G26MC-2U) in the classic PJKA color, as shown in this picture:

FAwXHm4VQAYop9r

(original photo by Muhammad Iqbal Setiawan)

The 3 units itself are CC202 09 (1986-built, 1st batch), CC202 17 (1990-built, 2nd batch) and CC202 46 (2008-built, 6th batch). Ironically CC202 46 was delivered in the more familiar red and blue Perumka color firstly introduced in 1991, in contrast to CC202 09 and CC202 17 that were delivered to Indonesia when PJKA's classical cream and dark green color was still employed as the standard color for diesel locomotives.

3. CC201 69 finally made its debut on inter-provincial express train, with the locomotive was deployed to haul Argo Muria express train from Semarang Tawang to Gambir. This photo shows the CC201 69 on its return trip to Semarang Tawang with Argo Sindoro express train after passing through Manggarai station:

FBd5iT9VIAIFEAr

(original photo by Fadhil Yudi)

And the same locomotive was later deployed on hauling Serayu express train from Pasar Senen to Purwokerto through Kiaracondong (Bandung), seen here photographed at Cilame station:

FBgxMLmVcAgkkkR

(original photo by Septian Alfiansyah)

First may I say, this Pandemic has cost us a lot, world wide with Friends and Family members who have passed or who continue to suffer the effects of this Horrid Disease........I pray for the World, and ask for things to improve as we all try to get these very tough times. Blessings sent to you and yours for better days ahead.......

Thank you for reviving your thread and presenting some fantastic pictures today.

Thanks for your kind word, hopefully everything would return back into normal state (though it would be not the same with the pre-pandemic condition). And yes I also directly experienced that horrible condition, when my parents was infected by that virus in early 2021 (thankfully both of them had their lives saved by medical staffs at the hospital where my parents were taken into custody for COVID-19 treatment).

And thanks for your compliment! Actually there is another news:

KAI had recently started an experiment for returning the gangway cover back into the accordion type made of tarp, using the same specification used by ex-Japanese EMUs:

FB6ElJcVUAUIGuu

(original photo by Fadhil Yudi)

The ones shown in above photo is stainless-steel passenger coach used by "Taksaka" express train, which so far is currently the only one to have its original European-style rubber-tube gangway cover being replaced by the more classical (yet safer) Japanese-style "accordion-like" tarp gangway cover. However, some of colleagues in my railfan organization expressed very sharp but reasonable critics about the modification work, where the attempt for welding it on stainless steel body is considered as a "stupid thing" if the workers had no experiences on handling stainless steel-bodied rolling stocks.

.. thank you very much aryadwi, for always bringing the memories back to life .. but the contemporary news is also very welcome ..

.. coincidentally we (brother and sisters) had a memorial gathering this weekend for my father's birthday in 1915 ..
i had scanned an old diary, which was lost and found back after the death of my brother (1946), and shared it with my family ..
the diary started in 1942 at the birth of my eldest brother until repatriation in 1951 .. it was written and illustrated by him in a notebook of the soekaboemi station .. on the cover was a "modern" logo of the staatsspoorwegen ..

Logo-Staatsspoorwegen-Klein.png

.. lots of health and strength to you and your parents ..
grtz
daveric

Thanks for your kind words, Mr. Daveric! I hope that you and your family would always having health and strength forever. Probably Mr. Daveric's late father would be surprised if he knows that the line from Buitenzorg (Bogor) to Soekaboemi is now being double-tracked and having the mechanical signals being replaced with electric light signals built by LEN Industri (state-owned rail signalling equipment manufacturer), because for a long time the line from Buitenzorg to Bandoeng through Padalarang had been already known as a secondary line after it was replaced by the shortcut line from Tjikampek to Padalarang. :D

That logo seems to be haven't found by another Indonesian railfans out there! I'm sure that it would have very high historical value. It would be worth to tell your brother and sisters that you have friends from Indonesia that really helps you reviving the childhood memories in Nederlands-Indië (today Indonesia), especially regarding the rail system itself. ;)

(please note that the classical "winged wheel" logo used by Djawatan Kereta Api (DKA), later Perusahaan Negara Kereta Api (PNKA) and Perusahaan Jawatan Kereta Api (PJKA) had its origin could be traced back into the days of Staatsspoorwegen. ;))

Cheers,

Arya.

Last edited:
Just found some old photos taken by W. and H. Brutzer in 1980:

1. The old but yet very monstrous Mallet

8152342994_d4106a4d61_h.jpg

This photo was taken at Purwakarta, where CC5019 (former SS1619) is seen here hauling a single caboose. This loco was later featured in the film "Kereta Api Terakhir" that depicts the days when Dutch conducts the Politionele Acties (Indonesians referred these actions as "Agresi Militer Belanda") in 1947 and 1948, but strangely for some reasons CC5019 had its numberplates still using the Japanese-style fonts (though the "1" seems to be altered for reflecting the newer standard font for numberplate)

2. Last day of steam in Jatinegara

8324825448_aaa8c49fb3_h.jpg

D1410 (SS1410) and D1412 (SS1412) are seen here taking a rest at Jatinegara locomotive depot. Unfortunately D1412 was later scrapped (only D1410 that could be saved from scrap), and the main building of Jatinegara locomotive depot itself was dismantled for making way to the new tracks bound for Pasar Senen despite many railfans heavily criticized the decision for dismantling it.

3. 2 different era

4000468840_8a17cf055f_h.jpg

E1016 (SSS116) and E1064 took a rest at Padangpanjang station. The E1016 was later saved from scrapped and is currently on display at Museum Transportasi of Taman Mini Indonesia Indah in Jakarta, while E1064 (which is one of the last 7 units of 2nd batch E10 locomotives built by Nippon Sharyo of Japan in late 1960s) was unlucky; the introduction of 1st batch BB204 diesel locomotives in 1982 displaced half of the E10 locomotives. Ironically 1st batch E10 locomotives built during the Nederlands-Indië days had their original SSS numberplates still intact, despite the Japanese had already renumbered those locomotives into the Japanese-style numbering back in 1942 - 1943.

A few days ago I came across the site of Nienoord Spoorwegen in Netherlands, which recently acquired the scaled-down version of Indonesian Railways CC5022 in its pre-independence condition a.k.a SS1622:

https://nienoordspoorwegen.nl/materieel/47-loc-1622

While the page itself also displays the builder photograph of SS1610 (CC5010) shortly before being delivered to SS in 1928 (which were originally published in the November 26th, December 11th and December 25th edition of Spoor-en Tramwegen back in 1928), there is an interesting part from the November 26th edition that attracts me:

FEPjQ34VQAMvEs9

(cropped from the scanned version of November 26th, 1928 edition of Spoor-en Tramwegen)

The left picture is early version of Siemens & Halske mechanical signal, while right one is the Krian-type roundel signal. One interesting thing that surprised both me and my colleague is the fact that front cover plate of the roundel signal is painted in lightning-like zigzag design, which is completely different with those already known by many Indonesian rail enthusiasts (though the design itself is still applied to the rotating semaphore on roundel signals installed at stations where express trains passes the station).

Cheers,

Arya.

Last edited:
Evening Sir,

Appreciate all the Cool Pictures from yesteryear, that's almost a 100 yr's ago, amazing Photo's and thank you for back Story too.......I and my family just recently returned from Amsterdam, an Utrecht, Harlem, so it most interesting riding their Trains over there........;)

Keep up the good work......Really enjoy reading the historical perspectives on Signals, and Locomotives from a very long time ago.....:cool:

Back