All about railways in Indonesia (beware of HD pics)

Evening Sir,

Appreciate all the Cool Pictures from yesteryear, that's almost a 100 yr's ago, amazing Photo's and thank you for back Story too.......I and my family just recently returned from Amsterdam, an Utrecht, Harlem, so it most interesting riding their Trains over there........;)

Keep up the good work......Really enjoy reading the historical perspectives on Signals, and Locomotives from a very long time ago.....:cool:

Thanks for your kind words! :)

Speaking Utrecht, the existence of Het Spoorwegmuseum in Utrecht is of course very important for Indonesian rail fan like me, because the museum houses Indonesian Mallet steam locomotive #CC5022 (cosmetically restored by Dutch people to its pre-independence identity as SS1622) that spent its final years in Cibatu locomotive depot in Garut Regency (West Java), where the locomotive pulled local trains on mountainous section like Bandung - Tasikmalaya and Cibatu - Cikajang until it was removed from service in late 1970s. However, there is a possibility that the locomotive was cosmetically restored into early 1950s style by Indonesian Railways (before being shipped to Netherlands as a gift) using remaining spareparts of CC50 locomotives removed from Madiun workshops back in late 1970s, as the workshops would later restarted its operation in 1981 as the main workshops of national rolling stock manufacturer (the PT. Industri Nasional Kereta Api, known as INKA). :eek:

Thanks for info on Utrecht,

I have more to Post, but I just found out as I am writing this, one of our family members, had a Major Heart Attack yesterday. Luckily for them they got emergency Surgery for heart Stents, so will see how it works out in the next 72 hours......

Thanks for info on Utrecht,

I have more to Post, but I just found out as I am writing this, one of our family members, had a Major Heart Attack yesterday. Luckily for them they got emergency Surgery for heart Stents, so will see how it works out in the next 72 hours......

Very sad to hear this, hope your family member getting well soon... :(

I'll just drop photos that I took here... Been a long time since my high-spec PC broken thus stopping me from playing Trainz

FD995DpUUAE11b9

This is my latest pic, a Plasser & Theurer Duomatic 09-32 CSM multiple tie tamper in service sin 2020. While other trains had procured without anti-stone protective net or had it removed, almost all track maintenance cars procured from P&T since 2015 had it installed from the manufacturer.

FDl332qWEAE9qRa

Talking about the protective net, a large numbers of KAI Commuter-owned commuter cars still use it but if they enter 48-month inspection, the protective net will be removed. The removal will be a gradual phase up to December 2024. KAI Commuter is Indonesian Railway's subsidiary operating commuter railways.

I also recorded a trip from Jakarta Kota station to Depok station, passing the new elevated track from Cikini station to Manggarai station.

Some historical photos again, from the same November 26th, 1928 edition of Spoor-en Tramwegen:

FEeccmsVQAQIX5p

This picture shows 2 photos of mechanical signal levers previously used in Indonesia. The left one is known as "Alkmaar type", which mainly used on secondary-class mainlines or branchlines that does not use interlocking equipments (though it could be coupled with either semaphore signals or even Krian-type roundel signals). On the other hand, the right one is exclusively used by small stations that uses Krian-type roundel signals, with one lever could control signals of both directions (to prevent signals of both direction could be operated on the same time, there is a frame that would stop the lever from being pulled to another side).

FEeccmpVIAQOMxe

On the other hand, this is the picture of Siemens & Halske signal levers and interlocking equipment installed at the signal house of Tanjung Priok station in the days of Nederlands-Indië. Although the signal house itself still exists until today thanks to its status as "heritage asset" (along with the station itself), but the signals and its levers had been already replaced by the electrical light signals built by LEN Industri (of course switch motors were also changed from mechanical ones to electric motor type).

Regards,

Arya.

Very sad to hear this, hope your family member getting well soon... :(

Thank you so much,

Our Family member, ended up getting three Stents inserted into there Heart.......They are home now after 3 days in the Hospital.....But very weak and Dizzy from Blood thinner meds and other meds they have to take....>What a mess.......

What floors me, is they Have a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis, and come to find out, their Diagnosis from 15 yr's ago was a misdiagnosis according to Doctors seeing him now.

Somehow, while they were in Hospital recovering from heart Attack, the Doctors where going over history versus the test results from something, I don't know what it was, and figured out they had this Rarer form of RA, called:

Adult Still's disease is a rare type of inflammatory arthritis that features fevers, rash and joint pain. Some people have just one episode of adult Still's disease. In other people, the condition persists or recurs. This inflammation can destroy affected joints, particularly the wrists

And because of that, they have been taking the wrong medication, for 15-16 yrs, go figure.

Now they are changing the medication and they feel better now than in many years, only problem is the weakness in heart from this attack, and how well they'll heal from it with all things considered.

In addition they be on Blood Thinner for the rest of their life......So who knows how this turn out....We can only pray and see how they are 2-3 months from now.......

The other thing that gets me, they were always seeing the Doctor several times a year to monitor there health condition due to physical weakening of Bone Joints and muscles to Rheumatoid Arthritis attacks.

How the !@$@%#^$% did they miss the Clogged Arteries? I don't get that......But then I am not a Doctor, so there is that.......

I'll just drop photos that I took here... Been a long time since my high-spec PC broken thus stopping me from playing Trainz

FD995DpUUAE11b9

This is my latest pic, a Plasser & Theurer Duomatic 09-32 CSM multiple tie tamper in service sin 2020. While other trains had procured without anti-stone protective net or had it removed, almost all track maintenance cars procured from P&T since 2015 had it installed from the manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about your Broken PC,,,,,,Hopefully someday you'll be able to find another one to replace, with that said, I really like your pictures, they wonderful, And I like this type of Maintenance equipment too.....Track Maintenance is of the upmost importance, forget it, delay it, means you stand the chance for serious derailments, even more so, when you add high speed trains that are used today......Thank you for sharing Sir.......I salute you......:Y:

[NEWS]

FEuKSVwVcAEaK8-

(image courtesy of "sedulur selawase" channel in YouTube, screenshot by myself)

According to a YouTube channel known under the name "sedulur selawase", CC201 72 (CC201 83 34) of Semarang Poncol depot is undergoing repainting work into the classical PJKA colors, following the popularity of CC201 69 (CC201 83 31) of the same depot in its classical PJKA colors that caused a boom among many rail fans (as well as normal people) in Indonesia. However, the process for repainting CC201 72 itself is done by Semarang Poncol depot, which means that it followed the same way previously applied on diesel-hydraulic locomotives like BB300, D301 etc.

Sorry to hear about your Broken PC,,,,,,Hopefully someday you'll be able to find another one to replace, with that said, I really like your pictures, they wonderful, And I like this type of Maintenance equipment too.....Track Maintenance is of the upmost importance, forget it, delay it, means you stand the chance for serious derailments, even more so, when you add high speed trains that are used today......Thank you for sharing Sir.......I salute you......:Y:

Thank you very much for your compliment. I just need new VGA and motherboard, and probably a new drive because the current drive is almost full, last time I played Trainz took 30 GB of my drive space so I have to buy a new drive :hehe:

=============================================

Today I come with a news too. China Railways DF4B-1295 entered Jakarta as used unit from mainland China. It will be used in Chinese-backed Jakarta-Bandung high speed railway construction. Heard some information that this locomotive will not go back to China after construction, so it will be a permanent resident of Indonesia and will be owned by the high speed railway company if true. 16 ballast hopper cars and 84 flatcars will follow. I don't know if another engine will come.

Articles are here:
https://redigest.web.id/2021/11/proyek-kereta-cepat-lokomotif-df4b-dari-tiongkok-tiba-di-jakarta/ (in Indonesian, written by me)
http://krl.ldblog.jp/archives/31234520.html (in Japanese, written by Mr. Pakuan Express (pseudonym))

All photos are courtesy of Mr. Bekti, a field worker in the Port of Tanjung Priok, Jakarta.

FEyNVDAVEAANLBB

FEyNVDAVEAI_RT6

FEyNVDAUUAE3lhl

FE9LxOEVIAc-VMo

FE9N34pVgAUKQ0H

This locomotive will still be in Tanjung Priok for 2-3 days, awaiting for customs clearance, and then land transportation to Bandung will take place.

Although it's a Chinese engine, since it was imported to Indonesia as an used unit, I think it's still related to railways in Indonesia.

This news gained attention from Indonesian people, many thought that this is the high speed train (literacy is just so bad!). Also gained attention from Japanese people, since they heavily thought that used train import ban is imposed in Indonesia since last year, but some used trains from China had entered Indonesia in 2019 and this year.

This is one of trainspotting video filmed on the location near southbound home signal of Rejosari station in Lampung province, with the main attraction of this video is the special train operated from Sungai Tuha (located north of Martapura city in Ogan Komering Ulu Timur regency, South Sumatra province) to Tanjungkarang station (Bandar Lampung city, Lampung province) for carrying personnels of Indonesian Army (Indonesian: TNI Angkatan Darat) from the training facility near Sungai Tuha sta

A few days ago the same special train was operated between Tanjungkarang and Sungai Tuha stations, originally having a single CC204 locomotive (GE C20EMP) plotted for pulling the train. Unfortunately the locomotive suffered (almost fatal) engine malfunction when it reaches Labuhanratu station, which resulted in the locomotive emits large flame from the exhaust chimney instead of smoke. Because of its nearly fatal condition, the CTC of Tanjungkarang ordered Tanjungkarang depot to deploy a single CC202 locomotive (EMD G26MC-2U) as the replacement for the CC204 (and eventually the locomotive was towed in cold condition back to Tanjungkarang depot). As the result, the return trip from Sungai Tuha was operated with 2 units of CC202 locomotives for anticipating engine malfunction on one of the locomotives.

FFQdG74UcAIWOUv

Although this image was scanned from propaganda magazine issued by the then Japanese occupation government in Indonesia during World War II, this image featured D1424 (SS1424) underwent maintenance at an undisclosed maintenance workshop in Java. One of Indonesian railfan assumed that this photograph was taken at Manggarai Werkplaats, because D14 (SS1400) locomotives were mainstay of Bogor (Buitenzorg) - Padalarang line from the days of Nederlands-Indië.

Note that the vacuum brake hose was still present; they were likely removed in 1960s after DKA started to deploy air brake on new trains (older trains were either modified to use air brake, or even having braking equipment being limited to hand brake only).

-----------

And here is another news:

https://twitter.com/kpkd2sb/status/1465241898499514370?s=20

West Sumatra division of Indonesian Railways successfully put the "Mak Itam" a.k.a E1060 back into steam after put in cold condition for 7 years at Sawahlunto station due to boiler malfunction. Unfortunately the railway line from Sawahlunto to Padangpanjang had been already declared as disused after closed in 2014 due to low traffic, which means that track relaying work had to be done before trains could run again on that line.

Last edited:

This 4-minute video that dates back from April 2018 shows the activity at Seinhuis A (Signal House A, western end) of Spoorwegstation Tjibatoe (Cibatu station), with the signalman is seen here operating the Siemens & Halske (S&H) mechanical signal and its interlocking block equipment. However, the current S&H signals were actually installed in 1982, as Spoorwegstation Tjibatoe previously uses the more classical Krian-type roundel signals a.k.a Sinyal Tebeng tipe Krian until 1982. As of December 2021 the original building of Seinhuis B (Signal House B, eastern end) has been replaced with newer ones, because the line toward Garut has been rebuilt and is ready to be served by passenger trains in the future.

It's the image of first set of Indonesia-China High Speed Railway Company's CR400AF . I got this from Twitter, but it seems the original image came from a Chinese-controlled media hence I can't find the images when I used "search Google for image" on Chrome.

FGAcnjkVQAENdO_

FGAcpC3VkAAt-pf

================================================================

Indonesian Railways' heritage unit during its latest roadshow

FFVdIqnVQAIjjx4

FFVdJYRVIAsbI5j

[NEWS]

FEuKSVwVcAEaK8-

(image courtesy of "sedulur selawase" channel in YouTube, screenshot by myself)

According to a YouTube channel known under the name "sedulur selawase", CC201 72 (CC201 83 34) of Semarang Poncol depot is undergoing repainting work into the classical PJKA colors, following the popularity of CC201 69 (CC201 83 31) of the same depot in its classical PJKA colors that caused a boom among many rail fans (as well as normal people) in Indonesia. However, the process for repainting CC201 72 itself is done by Semarang Poncol depot, which means that it followed the same way previously applied on diesel-hydraulic locomotives like BB300, D301 etc.

LATEST UPDATE

As of December 7th 2021, repainting work for CC201 72 is almost completely finished. While its stablemate at Semarang Poncol (CC201 69) and South Sumatra-based CC202 09, CC202 17 and CC202 46 were receiving special numberplates with golden letters, the author of this video said that CC201 72 would also receive the same special numberplates. However, it is still unclear whether the locomotive would also receive golden Wahana Daya Pertiwi emblem or not.

[Additional information]

Before CC201 72, Semarang Poncol also successfully repainted BB304 23 back into its classical PJKA colors, with the golden Wahana Daya Pertiwi emblem is placed on the front cover for hiding red and green-colored triangle sign plates (officially stated in pre-2013 version of signal and sign regulation as Semboyan 26 and Semboyan 27). BB304 23 is known as the only BB304 series diesel locomotive that received engine and hydraulic transmission replacement back in 2011, as part of the later cancelled program for refurbishing worn-out diesel-hydraulic locomotives (the reason for cancellation itself was the decision to phase out diesel-hydraulic locomotives from mainline trains, as they deemed to be more problematic in maintenance than diesel-electric locomotives).

Last edited:
To me, 1953-1991 livery of Indonesian Railways is indeed their best livery. However, many railfans in Indonesia liked the red and blue one, like the one in my pic below (click for larger size):

And even those railfans requested this livery to be revived in Java too (to date, Southern Sumatra is the only Indonesian Railways' operation area to regularly use this livery). But to me this combination of color isn't as shiny as the older cream and green, and weathering is very much faster than other liveries.

It's better for Indonesian Railways to increase the number of heritage units with cream and green livery IMHO since it's also the most popular livery among common people who grew up in 1960s-1980s :hehe:

Last edited:
[LATEST NEWS]

1. Beginning of a new era

FGPVzthUUAAjllG

(original photo by Andri Pratama)

December 10th, 2021 saw the very historical moment at Bandung station, where the original Siemens electric light signals and DRS-60 interlocking system that used from 1960s has been replaced by the newer electric light signals and SIL-02 interlocking system, developed and built by the state-owned LEN Industri. This put an end to the DRS-60 interlocking system-based electric light signal that pioneered the usage of electric light signal in Indonesia, with Bandung and Solo Balapan were the only users of this interlocking system.

FGPXtvpUYAE4Moz

(original photo by Andri Pratama)

On the same time, the neighboring Ciroyom station had its Siemens & Halske (S&H) mechanical signals were replaced by the same LEN Industri-made electric light signals and SIL-02 interlocking system, effectively making all stations from Bandung to the west using electric light signals (outside the secondary line that connects Padalarang with Bogor through Cianjur and Sukabumi, though the Bogor - Cicurug is undergoing process for conversion from S&H mechanical signals to SIL-02-based electric light signals).

2. Start of the recovery

FGP9BERVIAccPzh

(original photo by Asmara)

Construction work for rebuilding the Glagah River bridge that collapsed due to flood on January 11th, 2021 had been started, with large cranes, excavators etc were deployed there. Since the collapsed ones was the original bridge built during the Dutch East Indies period, the whole bridge had to be replaced with new ones. Luckily the newer concrete bridge (built as part of Cirebon - Purwokerto double track construction project) was not harmed by the flood, although it means that Linggapura - Bumiayu section temporarily became single track (Linggapura station was temporarily reinstated as transition point from double to single track, while Bumiayu station had 2 out of 4 tracks were temporarily blocked for traffic due to unidirectional crossover switch located to the west of station).

Indonesian Railway's second heritage unit in Java, CC2018334, returned to operation. However, it's still not plotted to long-distance service yet. Fellow CC2018331 is currently also spending duty on Kaligung local train and is not plotted to long-distance service.

IMG_20211213_142514_R-800x445.jpg

Photo courtesy of Vega Gilang Rahmandhani
Article in Indonesian

Indonesian High Speed Railway also showed off their new comprehensive inspection train (CIT), which is the first CIT built on CR400AF base.
b0213742-f8c4-4c5f-a845-c51b54143655-800x445.jpg

Photo courtesy of Indonesian High Speed Railway
Article in Indonesian

Last edited:
[LATEST NEWS]

Ministry of Transportation, Indonesian Railways and LEN Railway Systems (LRS, subsidiary of LEN Industri) recently performed another signalling system switchover, this time on the Cikarang - Dawuan section of Java North Coast Mainline. While previous works mainly focused on replacing signals and interlocking system but keeping the original closed block interlocking system*1 in place, the current one also focused on switching from closed block interlocking system to open block interlocking system*2 similarly employed on section west of Cikarang station. The following list shows changes applied to Cikarang - Dawuan section:

1. Installation of 3-aspect block signals on intermediate sections between each stations, which replaced both 2-aspect distant signals and 2-aspect intermediate block signals previously installed there
2. Replacement of 2-aspect starting signals of each stations with 3-aspect ones
3. Replacement of older interlocking system with the modern SIL-02 interlocking system developed and manufactured by LEN Railway Systems

Although this improves rail traffic management system on the heavily congested Jatinegara - Cikampek section, but some of rail enthusiasts commented that the more urgent Tanahabang - Rangkasbitung and Yogyakarta - Palur are the ones that should be highly prioritized for signalling upgrade works on their social media accounts. Their reason was the fact that Tanahabang - Rangkasbitung section still employs closed block interlocking system even after the line becomes heavily congested by EMU-operated commuter trains, and Yogyakarta - Palur is also predicted to meet the same fate if the ridership (after introduction of EMU-based services) rises sharply in the next years.

----------------------------------

*1 = this system originates from single track operation, in which an intermediate section between 2 stations is considered as a single block section. As the result, only one train is permitted to enter the section, and other trains behind it had to wait at the station before the previous train clears the block section. Even newly double-tracked lines are still employing this method because of relatively low traffic.
*2 = unlike closed block interlocking, open block interlocking divides an intermediate section into multiple block sections. Because of this, starting signals are equipped with yellow light for displaying caution aspect on next block sections after the station.

Back