What happened to the update

Jayco-man

Ok what happened to the update, two weeks ago is was about to be released any day the way they talked, and now almost getting close to two weeks and nothing yet, and didn't even get a update this week.

In the world of software development, "any day" is synonymous with "Real Soon Now(TM)" and as such is always dependent on the discovery of last minute bugs, incompatibilities, format issues, phases of the moon, transit of Venus, etc. A delay of weeks, or even months, is preferable to a faulty release forced by a predetermined schedule.

How quickly we have forgotten the disaster that was the initial release of T:ANE due entirely, it was reported, to a contractual timetable.

In the immortal words of the TV show "Kung Fu" - patience Grasshopper.

Hi Jayco-man
Our team are still hard at work on the next Trainz Plus update. Approximately 1.5 weeks ago we released the first 'release candidate' beta build, however a few issues were noted and as such these are being worked on. We do not give release dates for beta releases, as this can vary depending on when a suitable beta/release candidate build is ready internally. Generally new beta releases are released on Fridays.

We are also working to finalise the Multiplayer Surveyor feature for full Trainz Plus release, and as such the full update will not become available until this is ready at this stage. Due to the nature of multiplayer surveyor, we have limited the number of people testing this till we are closer to release; we hope to announce further details on it's release shortly, however I cannot currently say exactly when this might be.

Regards

In the world of software development, "any day" is synonymous with "Real Soon Now(TM)" and as such is always dependent on the discovery of last minute bugs, incompatibilities, format issues, phases of the moon, transit of Venus, etc. A delay of weeks, or even months, is preferable to a faulty release forced by a predetermined schedule.

How quickly we have forgotten the disaster that was the initial release of T:ANE due entirely, it was reported, to a contractual timetable.

In the immortal words of the TV show "Kung Fu" - patience Grasshopper.

With this I can concur. Very well put. If only the people handing over the money could be convinced by this argument:D

Last edited:
With this I can concur. Very well put. If only the people handing over the money could be convinced by this argument:D

I agree. However, those who sign up for Plus are told that there will be a quarterly release, emails speak of "update coming soon." etc. etc, etc, so perhaps the sales material is guilty of being a bit too optimistic? It's hard to get "running horses" back into the corral. They should be left grazing until the rider arrives with saddle. (Not an editorial from me, just an observation.)

Maybe those dates were optimistic but the Multiplayer Surveyor (MPS) has been in beta testing for weeks including a two day concentrated effort last week. I'm not a route builder and neither do I use multiplayer but I think you will like it.

I'm glad to see the innovation and I'm happy for those who will use MPS. For a variety of reasons I'll likely never use it. I've never used Multi-Player either. Not grumbling. Please read first sentence again.

Trainz in recent years is a little like a Boeing 737 Max, most of it works, most of the time, but both have these so called 'bugs' which get you questioning if you really want to take this journey. Unfortunately bugs are designed in and frequently resolving one either highlights or introduces others, none of which is good for business. Peter

Never cease to be amazed and amused when people first complain about release delays and then later complain that it was released too soon.

Never cease to be amazed and amused when people first complain about release delays and then later complain that it was released too soon.

Yup it happens all the time. I'll be happy to have something released when it's ready rather than on a set date as happened with T:ANE which so many look back at through deep rhodamine red-colored glasses.

Back