Making my first espec. What is correct and what is not?

I've just started making more advanced content other then whistles such as reskining and such. I just finished tackling engine sounds and am trying to make a steam espec. Most sources I find on things they need are old. They also contradict, one says liters and one says meters?
What ,if any of this is right and are there any good sources to explain how to find the numbers to use and or a espec wiki/tutorial for tane and ts19 versions.
Any info is greatly, greatly appreciated!
With much thanks,
The Brougham Gamer

I would talk to Bill69. He makes enginespec's for a living and even made a custom one for me in a few days.

That one was the most helpfull ive ever found but it doesnt cover everything needed for them. such as the motor or mass or others lesser parts. It does give everything else that is major though which made that the epic find

Be aware that N3V play with them from time to time so something that worked in TS12 may not work the same in TANE or TS19.

Cheerio John

Thank you!

I would talk to Bill69. He makes enginespec's for a living and even made a custom one for me in a few days.

Thank you for the help. I'll try and get in touch with him. Thanks to how hard it is to get good engine specs even though their a required part of every locomotive I started thinking that it's some close guarded secret by those who know it lol.
With thanks,
The Brougham Gamer

Same thoughts

Be aware that N3V play with them from time to time so something that worked in TS12 may not work the same in TANE or TS19.

Cheerio John

That is what I've been worried about. All the sites that have info on it are old and the pages were made in the ts12 era. Hopefully i can get this figured out with help one day.

I have done some especs for some of my 19th century engines and it's by no means a precise science. Even after all the magic data spots are filled in it comes down to sometimes lengthy testing to get the espec to function correctly. Getting a steam engine to function on DCC isn't so bad, but getting it to work as it should using the steam control set is a much more tricky process. Getting the injectors to work properly as well as finding the ideal shovel load can take awhile to get sorted out. Blower rate and getting the &%$@! thing to steam properly can be trial too.

I certainly don't want an unstoppable 'little engine that could' that can move any load up any gradient, - and there's a few especs like that around, - I want an engine to work in the same way as the prototype and that's where patient fine tuning comes in. I have a test layout that I always use (the Minehead branch) to sort out especs as its long steep gradients will soon show up any deficiencies.

Some payware engines in TS2019 are still running around on old legacy especs that don't work properly, but nothing can be done about them because they're payware. No wonder newcomers to Trainz end up being frustrated and give up.

Some payware engines in TS2019 are still running around on old legacy especs that don't work properly, but nothing can be done about them because they're payware. No wonder newcomers to Trainz end up being frustrated and give up.
yes this is very accurate. Ive finally got to where no matte the obstacle im going to try to surpass it the best i can. when i fist tried this stuff your exact comment happened. people with better coding knowledge and understanding of things have a better time but for someone like me with no experience in a field it becomes quite a mountain with no trail up.

my sollution at the moment is to figure out how to get the espec generated by bills spreadsheet to maintain boiler pressure and not be so underpowered. the how to tune wiki page is being the best help outside of that provided by members i could have ever asked for. I thank everyone who has responded and given their incite into this.

for the moment I will continue in my quest of figuring this stuff out and hopefully be able to come out the end of this tunnel with much more understanding then my current situation.

Back