What do these signs mean?

These signs are Block Begins and Block Ends, but what exactly is a block? I know it has something to do with CTC and OCS, here are the signs.
These-signs.jpg

Wild guess, because I don't really know for sure, but I believe there is a block beyond a signal that a train has to pass before the red signal will turn green again for any following train? So the block would begin at or before the signal and end farther down the track somewhere? I don't know if that is what this is or not...

I did a bit of a search on this as I'm not 100% certain (but you would have to find it in the open some place). RRMods came up on a Google Search and the name of the B is "Block begins not identified by signal". I know the one with the cross through it is the end of the block.

I would suggest looking through the timetable of the subdivision as they likely mention these. The first application would be an approach block which the CTC recognises as a train approaching CTC but I'm not sure about that. I have seen begin end CTC signs as well which are self explanatory.

They could have something to do with the timing circuits of grade crossings. I've seen various mentions of it in the past. I'm not even sure if Trainz would be able to utilize this in any ways if you placed the sign. Depends on the application.

Thanks

Sean

A "Block" is a stretch of track, that is protected at the rear end, and the front, of a train, where the train could sit and wait at a red signal, resting assured that a rear end, or head end, collision would not occur.

The preceding block distant signal, behind the rear end of the train, would show a "Caution" signal, that a train ahead is protected in the block ahead, and the oncoming train should be aware of the stopped train, prepared to stop at a reduced/slow speed.

Last edited:
I haven't done any research on this because they aren't in my area under CROR as it's all CTC.

The block end of block signs I've seen in the past on CN weren't protected by signals in the opposite direction that I recall. In fact I'd have to see an image of one and the track charts to get an idea. I believe I've seen them in spurs on the Oakville Sub which may explain some of it. Check the track charts and these might be indicated.

Lets say a train is coming out of Mimico because I have a funny feeling it might be there, and a train is beyond the block begin sign (block end opposite way?). The normal entry signal to Mimico would be restricting. But because something is in the lead it would be stop. In fact I think I recall one up at Burlington's wye. I'll take a look.

Thanks

Sean

So I'm not sure the previous reply refers to the CROR (Canada) or in general. I understand what a block is in general terms. But if it's not CROR I suggest going through the CROR rules and you will find a description of this at some point.

Here is the image which is amazing that I can remember.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.336...4!1ske08ZX1wWEHTgIvCWujBPA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So let me set this scene up as I'm familiar with the CTC. The block begin sign is off the Burlington Wye looking east before the bridge. Around the bend SHOULD be an electric lock. Normally an electric lock in combination with a reversed switch authorized by RTC will show occupation. The signals of Burlington control point are on the mains behind this (so this is NOT inside the control point). The next control point is Burlington East which is east of the Burlingto GO station.

I don't think this sign represents any protection other than the crossing. Look up the ETT that I referenced in another thread under Oakville Sub and this might explain it's use here. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Sean

I found an example which may explain stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.820...4!1sFzDpRTImy5RzM9FhwQ8rWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This was the Newmarket Sub before the CTC was implemented past Concord in 2014. The Block End sign is with a CTC End sign and a OCS Begin Sign. I feel like the block end sign represents how there are no more signals past this point. Because when the CTC was implemented the signs were removed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.820...4!1s1DRVrprGhipbi5Fi7qJbqA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Back