Explosions, bangs and flashes. Help with some work I am doing on the D-Day beaches

gch

My main project to date has been on Southampton, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight and Ihave now started extending to include the Normandy beaches on D-Day.

I have suprisingly found a wealth of sea, land and air craft of the period. many from "coutumariee" but plenty of others as well.

I really want to build something to show the size and depth of the happenings on D-Day and I am just skirting around the edges.

What would be really helpful at the moment would be to build up a library of things like the sounds of war and anything like shell holes, explosions, things being blown apart.

I realise that this a very big request but every time I have asked I have been lucky in people pointing me in the right direction- please let me know of any thing you can think of.

I will eventually look to find things like the German flag of this period which I notice people have strong opinions on, and I understand that completely.

The purpose of my tableau is to show anyone interested just how awesome were people of my father's generation and it gives me a real chance to understand a little more on just how dreadful it must have been.

Anyone intersted in helping out ??

Graham
Shefford

It sounds very, very, depressing, recreating this. As many, many, thousands were absolutely slaughtered that day, cut down by mortars and machine gun fire, even before they hit the beach's.

yes very true, but recreating historical moments is something i think would be good to do, there is a reason Gettysburg looks like a battle field with no soldiers, the thing with assets is there are a lot of them on the DLS (search generic terms for them and the civil war stuff on there sometimes looks good in WW2)

Depressing it is not. It was absolutely "our finest hour" along with the Americans and Canadians on that day and a moment to remind our children and grandchildren of the price that sometimes has to be paid.

I am building a "diorama" to give a sort of 3D picture of the scenes. There will be no dead bodies, just a sense of how massive it was. I am a Southampton lad and there are connections all over Hampshire in particular of what went on in early 1944. I am exploring these.

I am also now doing thingz with Trainz that I could never have done before and am learning more and more each day.

Although I was born in 1948 I have grown up alongside our history and am incredibly proud and humbled by what they sacrificed for us

Graham from Shefford

My father was taken prisoner at Dunkirk and I know it was one of his biggest rerets that because he was in a P of W camp until 1945 he could not

Graham, I see you are using my signature, a bear of little brain, which I have used long before you joined Trainz. While I cannot stop you, it could lead to confusion. Incidentally I grew up in Southampton during the war and as a boy of eight can remember the tanks in our street before D Day, the camps on the Common and the Americans outside Highfield School distributing goodies.

Well, there's spooky. Courtesy demands that I change my name - already done.

I was born in 1948 so obviously missed what you saw. I went to Taunton's school in Highfield Lane 1960-67 and was aware of the tremendous build up in the area of the Common during early 1944.

Delighted to hear stories, anecdotes of the period.

All the best,

Graham,
Shefford

Hello Graham, thanks for the change, it will avoid confusion. I'm afraid I shall have to consider you "an inferior person" as I went to King Edwards :) Seriously though have you found Explosions field <KUID2:524343:6201:1> by arraial? I used it years ago when I was experimenting with a WW1 test route.

Cheers

my great grandfather fought in that war, he wasnt at D-day but he went to africa, so the hell was probably just as real if not worse.

I agree. They all went through hell of many differnt kinds.

My father in law was a Desert Rat at Tobruk and like all sol;diers, never talked abut his expperiences

that is another thing, it is sad we didnt do anything to help these people, after world war one, people who fought were talked down to if they brought it up.

Thanks John,

I think I found all the obvious sites, I was just looking for a few lucky oddities.

Watch out for the fireworks when I put in a similar request for German wartime flags which don't appear anywhere as far as I can see.

To get my defence in, in advance, I have no interest in it apart from highlighting the defence positions on the Normandy beaches

Too many good men sacrificed everything for anyone to make light of it or use their flags for anything but historial interest

Graham

Back