Strange driver behavior

schweitzerdude

Strange driver behavior SOLVED

TRS2019 here. A 4 car passenger train leaves the yard with no passengers yet. It approaches a 4 platform station (AJS Invisible Station 4T 3.5) at 65kph and pulls into the correct platform, slowing to 18 kph as if preparing to stop. Suddenly it accelerates and drives though the station without stopping. There are plenty of passengers on that platform. The "drive to" instruction does not drop off the list of session tasks. I have substituted another train in the session and the result is the same. Any ideas to try?

SOLVED. This station was pasted from elsewhere in the route. Must have confused the AI. Multiple edit/object and saves finally corrected the problem.

Last edited:
Trains not stopping at AJS stations

TRS2019 here. A 4 car passenger train leaves the yard with no passengers yet. It approaches a 4 platform station (AJS Invisible Station 4T 3.5) at 65kph and pulls into the correct platform, slowing to 18 kph as if preparing to stop. Suddenly it accelerates and drives though the station without stopping.
I have this problem, too, but the stations have not been pasted from elsewhere in my layout - I have placed them exactly as I always have done. It only seems to have happened with TRS19, so I assumed the AJS stations are incompatible with TRS19, but you have shown it can work. How, though, I don't know.

Maybe, maybe not. I use AJS stations, route imported from TANE, and they work. But some times they do what you guys describe. Is important you understand what happens on this process: A command is given to go there, on this case a station platform (AJS). The train gets there and the command "Go To" disappears. The consist continues slowly, now under control of the station until it stops at the center (if that was the way it was set-up). The process of loading or unloading starts, and after the set time you have in the config of the station passes, the process finish, and the next command takes control of the consist. That is what normally happens.

But sometimes, the consist arrives (the fact that it arrives means that the "Go To" is working), and the train after slowing down, it continues. Sometimes for a while until the station icon disappears and the next command takes control. Other times it continues as if under Driver command control going nowhere until arriving to a bumper or even derailing far away.

Not dependent on the type of loco or consist nor your mistake on setting up things. It is AI shortcomings.

What to do? Disconnect the tracks attached to the station (don't delete it straight), both ends. Now move the station away from the place it is. Note the platform and station track should move all together. Place it near and install a new one exactly where the moved one was. Attach the tracks (*). Now open the config of the old one and the config of the new one. Copy the settings (this is the easy way). Delete the old one. Save and run a consist under AI and see if it works. Important: Do this on the ROUTE layer. The settings and all will appear on the sessions, but if you do this on a session it will mess things.

(*) Some times, when you try to re-attach the tracks, they refuse to connect! Don't panic, Near the end of the track, insert a spline. Delete the small section of the end. That spline you just created will attach, and the station track will change the texture to the one of you tracks. I say "attach the tracks", don't let the station track to attach to the existing tracks when you position it exactly where you want. For this you can move these tracks a little away so they don't auto-connect, or use the shift key to prevent it.

Note: If you delete the station directly while the tracks are still attached, chances are that the station will delete, but the tracks will reman there and refuse to be deleted by any reasonable means. Then you may have to resort to pasting a small flat landscape over it messing your scenery. Do what I describe and it will work without more complications.

One of the issues I have run into in on a few occasions is having other scripted assets such as level crossings too close to the interactive station. For some reason the program can't process the two scripts quickly enough so that they cause the AI driver to miss the following one being the station.

Another issue I ran into is having signals too close to the platform. I had to do this to prevent following AI from trying to enter the station while another train was occupying the station platform, which is an issue with lots of following consists such as on a transit route. If the signal is too close to the platform, the following AI will skip right through if the signal turns yellow while the leaving consist is still there. What happens is the script for the station kicks in while the following AI is accelerating. This causes the AI to move too quickly to stop in time, run past the station without stopping, or pull into the station, drop the destination, but skip the load command and continue on its journey.

To get around this situation, I found putting an absolute signal, a dwarf works great for this, after the station as well as before, to prevent this from occurring. The before signal now shows yellow anyway and the AI are now forced to stop because the aft signal is now displaying red until that AI driver is into the next block.

I got this idea from watching actual transit operations on the Mass Bay Transit Authority (MBTA). I noticed the before and aft signals on the trolley (tram) Green line. The "T" does, however, allow additional trains to pull into the stations on the same platform, and that's something I wish we could do as well.

Enhanced tower and the track block/insulators will stop trains entering a station when the block is occupied. I also have a platform set up that two trains from opposite ends can use at the same time. This uses 3 <kuid2:122285:3401:22> AJS Invisible Station 1T 3.5 assets. one for platform A and one for platform B. These are the two ends and 1 in the middle for longer trains.

One of the issues I have run into in on a few occasions is having other scripted assets such as level crossings too close to the interactive station. For some reason the program can't process the two scripts quickly enough so that they cause the AI driver to miss the following one being the station.

Another issue I ran into is having signals too close to the platform. I had to do this to prevent following AI from trying to enter the station while another train was occupying the station platform, which is an issue with lots of following consists such as on a transit route. If the signal is too close to the platform, the following AI will skip right through if the signal turns yellow while the leaving consist is still there. What happens is the script for the station kicks in while the following AI is accelerating. This causes the AI to move too quickly to stop in time, run past the station without stopping, or pull into the station, drop the destination, but skip the load command and continue on its journey.

To get around this situation, I found putting an absolute signal, a dwarf works great for this, after the station as well as before, to prevent this from occurring. The before signal now shows yellow anyway and the AI are now forced to stop because the aft signal is now displaying red until that AI driver is into the next block.

I got this idea from watching actual transit operations on the Mass Bay Transit Authority (MBTA). I noticed the before and aft signals on the trolley (tram) Green line. The "T" does, however, allow additional trains to pull into the stations on the same platform, and that's something I wish we could do as well.
True on passenger stations. But, what about when it also happens on a regular M.I.N. used for just freight?, and with only one consist, and with no signals near nor rail crossings before or after? And to compound confusion, things work well a few times on first session runs. Later, after one or two saves, the same consist, get's to the station (M.I.N.) and for unknown reason, it skips it, doing the same than a passenger consist may do at an AJS station. My premonition is that all this is caused by the inability of the AI system to save correctly the scripts when you save sessions. Have no idea what, but I am sure someone must know.

True on passenger stations. But, what about when it also happens on a regular M.I.N. used for just freight?, and with only one consist, and with no signals near nor rail crossings before or after? And to compound confusion, things work well a few times on first session runs. Later, after one or two saves, the same consist, get's to the station (M.I.N.) and for unknown reason, it skips it, doing the same than a passenger consist may do at an AJS station. My premonition is that all this is caused by the inability of the AI system to save correctly the scripts when you save sessions. Have no idea what, but I am sure someone must know.

I have seen this issue way back in TS2010 and before so it's nothing new. I don't think it so much the scripts saving states, but perhaps things are happening too fast for the scripts to kick in properly. To get around this, I have found slowing the consist down and then putting in a short wait at a track mark just before the industry helps. The wait might be 10 seconds and it's enough time to give the script a chance to kick in.

Back