Looking To Build PC for TANE

dpwnu67

Hello everyone! I am interested in building a PC to play TANE. I'm stuck between 3 options and I'm trying to figure out which option will give me the best performance for the price.

Option 1) i7 9700k/ RTX 2060 KO Ultra

Option 2) i7 9700k/ RTX 2070 Super

Option 3) i5 9600k/ RTX 2070 Super

If you guys can also share what kind of FPS u guys r getting with your specs that would greatly help my decision making. Much appreciated.

Other factors being equal, the more you spend on quality components, the better the performance.
T:ANE (and TRS19) is very GPU-centric - this is the component that you should work around for maximum performance for the dollar and FPS in Trainz.
Your TS2010 was more CPU-centric, and even though you might have a powerful GPU, there was a limit to the smoothness and frame-rates delivered primarily due to the game engine's memory architecture, 32bit ops and central processor dependency.
So, with the options shown above - the RTX 2070 Super coupled with the i7 9700k is plainly the better performing option (though the most expensive).
Option 3 (with the i5) would likely out-perform Option 1 due to the lower-spec GPU.

Last edited:
Buy a Desktop WiNdows PC

An I5 is OK, as is a 2060, and 16GB RAM

But overbuy what you can afford

I would have Dell, an I7, with a regular 2070, with 32GB RAM, a 750 Watt PS, for @ $1900

A 2070 Super, 2080 video card is overkill

Last edited:
I'd look at the Dell G5 desktops since they are fairly well balanced CPU / GPU wise. Their configurations will give you a reasonable idea of what is balanced and also give you some idea of what a reasonable price would be.

Very difficult to say what frames per second you'll get so much depends on the content in the layout. ie Middleton for laptops will give good frame rates on just about anything.

Personally I like the RTX 2070 but many feel an RTX 2060 is just fine. The consensus is you need a minimum of 10,000 on the 3D benchmark which is a GTX 1060. The CPU is much less important.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Cheerio John

Thanks alot for ur help guys. Should be an exciting build. What FPS are you guys getting on ur systems?

Thanks alot for ur help guys. Should be an exciting build. What FPS are you guys getting on ur systems?

I'm running an RTX 2070 with a five year old 6 core xeon limited in Trainz to 30 fps and default slider settings seems to get there most of the time but some built up areas slow down.

On an i5 with built in graphics series 4000 Middleton for laptops gives 22+ fps reaching 29 fps in places on a 1920 by 1080 screen so it really does depend on the content and your slider settings. Note the number of pixels in your display has an impact nothing will power a 4k screen at 60 fps on full detail sliders.

Cheerio John

Sorry that I'm just running into this thread for no reason, but I wanted to just say something. My framerate is around 10-15 FPS, but that is only because I have a VERY low-powered laptop. I am really thinking of getting an upgrade.

My choice is a DELL Desktop Windows PC, with an I7 CPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB Disc hard drive, a 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, a 2070 video card, a 750 watt power supply, for @ $2000

Hi,
I'm running an i5 overclocked to 4.3 GHz, now with an RTX 2060. Also 16 GB Ram.
For East coast mainline, I'm getting 30-60 FPS.

The best improvement is to have TS19 on a SSD!
My system was built with a conventional disc drive, so I didn't want to upset Windows by changing the OS to a SSD. Running TS19 on the SSD makes a huge difference.

At these performance levels, you'll need good cooling fans on the system - the 2060 does spool up with Trainz, and my CPU is water cooled.
If your system can't cool sufficiently, then both the CPU and GPU will throttle back performance to avoid cooking themselves!

Obviously, the FPS you get will depend on the settings - I think that TS19 was developed to allow higher performance than most PCs could manage. Nowadays, you can reach that level (at a cost)
Colin

Hi,
I'm running an i5 overclocked to 4.3 GHz, now with an RTX 2060. Also 16 GB Ram.
For East coast mainline, I'm getting 30-60 FPS.

The best improvement is to have TS19 on a SSD!
My system was built with a conventional disc drive, so I didn't want to upset Windows by changing the OS to a SSD. Running TS19 on the SSD makes a huge difference.

At these performance levels, you'll need good cooling fans on the system - the 2060 does spool up with Trainz, and my CPU is water cooled.
If your system can't cool sufficiently, then both the CPU and GPU will throttle back performance to avoid cooking themselves!

Obviously, the FPS you get will depend on the settings - I think that TS19 was developed to allow higher performance than most PCs could manage. Nowadays, you can reach that level (at a cost)
Colin

An SSD adds perhaps less than a frame per second to the frame rate, what it does do is load assets a lot faster. So yes it is worth having but not to improve the frames per second.

Cheerio John

Back