How do I place a portal ?

Who was it that said route building was easy in Trainz ?

I'm trying to add a portal to a track end in an existing route. I found portals in the " Object " tab of the route editing tools but when I try to place it, it keeps placing it at 90 deg. from the existing track.

So, I rotate my view thinking it will then place it in line with the track so I can drag it and match the ends and it still places it at 90 deg. from the original track!:'(

Willy

You can place it at any angle. I generally stick the portal as close to the end of the baseboard to ensure I have the most track lead.

You also have to ensure you have the Portal Entry facing towards the track.

Once placed, use the ? to rename the portal. You can set your parameters here, but don't setup any consists. You set up consists in your session that you create for your route and not the default session.

Hope this helps.

Don’t rotate your view; rotate the portal object instead (just like you would do with a building to make it face the direction you want).
When it is in the right direction, connect the track to it just like you would do with an industry.

Now, that's help !

You rotate by clicking on the start end and drag in the direction yo want.
Cheers,
Mike

Your's was the reply that made it click and for any one else that has never done anything with trackage:

That circle looking thing in the track tools that I usually only used to flop a consist end to end is used to click and drag the portal around like the hand on a clock, it even tells you when it's been rotated 90 deg.

Then the squiggly line looking tool that I use to drag a consist along tracks is used to drag the portal to the existing track end and when the rotating dashed line circles are on top of each other the track ends are welded together.

I successfully added portals to all the ends of track on the Clinchfield route and I ran my first AI end to end.

I'm gonna use this a lot!

Thanks mikeaust

Wild Willy the Wacko

P. S. I assume I can also align a building too!

Back