UK Locomotives that have Cab-fitted AWS

EverTrainz

Electric Blue
Could anyone point me to some UK locos with cabs that have AWS fitted properly (with their own Soundscripts, ‘sunflower’ indicator’, etc.)? The only one I’m finding is the Deltic cab from 2014.

Reason I ask is because I am making some changes to the AWSLib script that handles the HTML, sounds, and cab scripts. The current HUD UI looks dated and hasn’t been changed since 2008, I’ve made some visual upgrades. Also, the sounds have also been updated, among many other things.

If there’s any other gripe or bug/suggestion/request that you have with the AWS handling in Trainz, pleasw feel free to let me know and I’ll try my hand.

Are we talking fitted "physically" in the cab or on the player's interface? I think the Stanier 8F and Black 5 have the ability to add "AWS Gear" but I'm not sure if it actually works. I don't have AWS on my maps, although that may change at somepoint. The Class 37 Green does come with AWS, the three of them are listed below;

<kuid2:2512:2373:41> BR Class 37 Green Split Headcode Half Yellow - Pikkabird (probably others of his will have working AWS)
<kuid2:2512:5555:41> Stanier 5MT 4-6-0 BR Black - Pikkabird
<kuid2:44090:1042:42> Stanier 8F 2-8-0 BR Black - Pikkabird

Certainly AWS among other things are in need of an update. If I can be of help hit me up on the Discord bud and we can discuss it more :)

Sure thing, thanks.

Also - how do we feel about AWS sound notifications outside the cab in external camera views? I've been told that the other sim's creators do it a couple different ways; Armstrong Powerhouse gives on-screen text notifications that the AWS horn is going off, whereas JT content plays the sound in exterior mode. What I am thinking is a volume-reduced version of the AWS horn (or buzzer for modern stock), that isn't as jarring as the horn that plays inside the cab.

But obviously I'm open to suggestions.

Certainly is becoming a balance of gameplay vs realism. I think the buzzer sounding in a muffled manner while in exterior mode as opposed to not at all or having a message would be the best. They are pretty loud and you could probably hear it through the door if you were standing beside it on a platform when it goes off.

Yeah, I might muffle and damp it a bit to give it the impression of hearing it from outside the cab.

So far this is what I've got:
- new horns, buzzer, ping, bell sounds
- new UI graphics that change depending on whether the loco is modern or an old/original 1960s-1970s loco (set in a config extensions tag; if absent the default is based on the AWSConfig rule checkbox for modern sounds)
- option for two and three-part warning sounds (horn/buzzer) set in config extensions tag
- delay between sunflower indicator activation and horn/buzzer activation (config tag); usually is around half to a full second; steam locos have a slightly longer offset
- rotation sunflower as opposed to older SetMeshVisible(); although this is configured in the cab script and config (Deltic has it working in the video)

Hi EverTrainz
I wonder if in this case it might be worthwhile actually providing an option for the player to select sound or text notification?

I'm not sure off hand if you can do it, but possibly having the player clicking on the AWS sunflower on the UI brings up options for it (ie sound, text, or both). You could also possibly provide an option for the sound to have 2 or 3 different volume levels.

Admittedly this would only apply within that session. An alternative would be a settings menu via the in-game settings (similar to the JointedRail settings menu), where players could set their desired options globally.

Either way, the new AWS system is looking great :) Well done!

Regards

Thanks Zec.

An option would be nice, although it would have to be implemented loco-cab side (I’d rather not touch the actual AWSConfig session rule asset because I don’t want to cause any issues with sessions that already use it). Another cabin config extension tag can be provided to have a notification (in the form of a red “horn” icon next to the rest of the UI) instead of an audible cue. I’m not too sure how this can be done globally though without messing with AWSConfig.

Back