Coal Country 2019 Updated .....

Came across these tires and thought they might fit in with the CAT facility:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-21-22-43-29-37.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-21-22-43-50-36.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-21-22-43-07-86.jpg

Hello dan,

What an amazing job you have done on the transformation of Coal country, absolutely brilliant mate great work.

Just out of curiosity the assets that you have reskinned the cat pick ups and the workers in green uniforms are they going to be uploaded to the dls or are they for private use only?

Thank you again for your awesome up date on coal country.

Cheers Joe.

Hello dan,

What an amazing job you have done on the transformation of Coal country, absolutely brilliant mate great work.

Just out of curiosity the assets that you have reskinned the cat pick ups and the workers in green uniforms are they going to be uploaded to the dls or are they for private use only?

Thank you again for your awesome up date on coal country.

Cheers Joe.

Thanks for the positive feedback......I would need to look at the config files to see if reskins are allowed to be made available, the trucks might since I believe they are RR Mods. the people are from the DLS.

And actually they are very easy to create, I mainly use a great freeware program called "Paint.net" to make the reskins.

All you really need to do is always make a duplicate file of the item you want to change in content manger (control-d) and then open it's config file by choosing "open in explorer", find the line for "username" in the config file and change what it shows to what you want your new model to be called, see picture #1. Next save the config file. Then close the config file. (only the config file)

For the uniform men I use "<kuid:93112:3035559> Cuk-Workman-1" series

Then in the case of making the uniform green, open the .TGA file that shows the uniform and magnify it so you can see it good (you may need to open different tga files to find the correct one you wanto f the uniform itself, just make sure you close them before choosing the next .tga file to open) see picture #2, next you can either choose a color from the color wheel or what I do is open another picture that I have saved on my desktop that has the color I want to use, either in .jpg or .tga format.

This will open a window next to the original picture (the uniform TGA) next choose the ""color picker" icon and click on the color you want and then switch to the original picture where the uniform is.

Next I switch to the "fill" icon and touch the area and "fill it in" with the new color, the only thing you want to watch is the "Hardness" percentage showing above the graphics, the higher the percentage the more it will flood the picture, a lower percentage will you allow to click several areas inside the section you want to fill with the new color. Just repeat this until all sections of the uniform are completed. You will need to experiment but it is fairly easy after a couple of trys to see what Hardness level to work with (usually 15-25 for smaller areas)

Once you are happy with what you have again choose "Save" from the upper left and next find the previously created file (see picture #3) and choose "resubmit" from the "file" drop down menu, this will finish creating a custom kuid for your model.

This may seem a bit challenging but it is extremely easy to do, my custom signs are made by just saving a picture of the logo or actual sign I find on Google. I open that file in Paint.net and save it as a .tga file first. Then instead of using the coloring tools I use the cut tool and just cut out the part I want and paste it into the .tga file of the model I want to change (make sure you are using the duplicate with the new name like I mentioned above) and adjust the size of the sign or logo it to fit over the original sign. I can then keep as it is or change the color of the frame or support poles by then using the color tools likei first mentioned, sometimes you get an error that file you pasting is to big, for this you just need to resize under the "Image" drop down, I usually try cutting it in half so if it was 900x500 I make it 450x250.
Then complete it like above by resubmitting it.

Practice makes it easy and you can experiment, it becomes a quick process overtime only thing is be aware if the different windows open so you dn't accidentally close the model you are making before it is resubmitted....

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

G'day Dan

Thank you for your quick response and the information you supplied very much appreciated.

cheers Joe.

New expansion.........so for some time I have been interested in installing a cement/concrete plant for the route which are quite easy to find on the dls. On the other hand it is a royal pain to locate a concrete distributor. So I took a look at my Model Railroader's guide to Industries 3 Along The Tracks, a great reference book that I found to cover the cement industry. And it included info on creating a bulk cement distributor. Say hello to South Pine Concrete a division of South Pine Lumber.

Complete with discharge shed, storage tanks and a truck loading ramp with office attached:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-04-37-14-21.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-04-34-39-16.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-04-35-28-35.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-04-36-16-01.jpg

Last edited:
Some updates to South Pine Concrete: Added additional storage silo, swapped out the cement mixers and added some wheel barrels and concrete barricades:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-19-24-49-27.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-19-25-06-55.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-26-19-25-48-99.jpg

Last edited:
Final details added to Southern Pine Concrete. Added a road behind the structures that disappears into the trees to give the illusion of an entrance to access the loading area for the bulk cement semis. Added rear gate, saftey ladder, bollards, concrete barriers etc...

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-27-19-44-42-01.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-27-19-46-35-32.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-27-19-45-00-91.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-27-19-55-15-43.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-27-19-45-56-73.jpg

I bought the route a long time ago. Many changes were made. I thought the update to TANE was an accomplishment but your alterations and additions are fantastic. I have set the route aside, but I may just give it a new go and dress it a bit better, following your examples.

I bought the route a long time ago. Many changes were made. I thought the update to TANE was an accomplishment but your alterations and additions are fantastic. I have set the route aside, but I may just give it a new go and dress it a bit better, following your examples.

Thanks for the compliment !!! Much appreciated. My hope is to inspire others to make "upgrades" and get the most out of their investement....a little time and a little planning will go a long way !

RH001

There is something that bothers me with your changes. That is much of the equipment is brand new, not a smudge or a scratch, "weathering" (broad interpretation). A little bit of dirt and grease would add to the reality.

There is something that bothers me with your changes. That is much of the equipment is brand new, not a smudge or a scratch, "weathering" (broad interpretation). A little bit of dirt and grease would add to the reality.

Unfortuantely I do not make the assets and some have files that I am unable to access to make "weathered" versions.

And out of curiosity, just what is looking "brand new" ? Mostly all of the buildings I have added do not look "new" at all, Authentic Food Co, Urban Effects Cabinetry, Richmond Station, South Pine Concrete, Hatchet Feed Mill does have "new" John Deere tractors since it is a dealership, Corn Products International, Woodchuck Lumber, Cat Dealership....again a dealership does have "new" equipment but none of the prev mentioned structrures look "brand new" So I really don't see it......

Last edited:
Some updates for the plant:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-29-16-44-20-16.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-29-16-44-46-64.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-29-16-45-13-88.jpg

Some more details added, created employee parking lot outside of plant, added more vehicles and sign:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-30-00-02-17-70.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-30-00-02-41-24.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-30-00-01-56-86.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-30-00-18-57-79.jpg

Last edited:
Detail Update for Concrete Plant. I was watching a traincam of a BNSF freight yard in New Mexico (Belen ?) anyway I noticed things darting across my TV kicking up dust and upon closer inspection found them to be ATVs (quads) carrying crew/workers back and forth and thought it would be cool to model that. I found some and added them along with reskinning some saftey vests to an orange on workers like the quad driver by the green parked semi. I also added workers driving some of the CATs and reskinned some pickups with the LAFARGE logo...added other minor details as well. Scene is pretty complete......

Set 1 pix:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-01-01-37-15-28.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-01-00-52-47-20.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-01-00-53-09-99.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-01-00-53-28-73.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-01-01-49-31-44.jpg

Last edited:
Back