How good is your vehicle recognition?

That one was an education for me. Never even heard of the brand before. Checking photos it does seem correct and way better than my initial guess which was a Winnebago.

I thought it was a Winnie also, but then I noticed the front end was different. My neighbor also so happens to have a Fleetwood camper which helped with the identification. :)

These are manufactured in Decatur Indiana.

A3 looks to me like sortofa Volvo SW

Sorry, there are no SAABs in the mix - My wife and I are each on our third...

:B~)

I'm going with A3 = Jeep Grand Cherokee since it got 2 votes and it really does look like a Grand Cherokee.

I agree that B2 is not a Saab. I thought it might be at first, but the grille is wrong. The 2 other suggestions for B2 are Vauxhall Vectra and Oldsmobile Alero.

I'm inclined to discount Vauxhalls because Lothar's cars are labelled as "US_car_". I take that to mean they would be seen on US roads, not necessarily all from US brands. But Vauxhall is a UK part of General Motors while Oldsmobile is a US part of General Motors. So it's unlikely that a Vauxhall Vectra would be seen in the US competing with an Oldsmobile equivalent. Hence my money is more on the Olds.

Does anyone else think "El Camino" is a silly name for a car? In Spanish it just means "the way", so in effect they named it as if it was a road rather than a car that drives on a road. Also the syntax seems wrong: as in "I bet my The Way can beat your Civic."

Last edited:
I'm going with A3 = Jeep Grand Cherokee since it got 2 votes and it really does look like a Grand Cherokee.
Does anyone else think "El Camino" is a silly name for a car? In Spanish it just means "the way", so in effect they named it as if it was a road rather than a car that drives on a road. Also the syntax seems wrong: as in "I bet my The Way can beat your Civic."

No se nada, sen~or. Most car names are silly. "Alero" (says Collins Dictionary) is a Spanish noun meaning eaves, mudguard, fender/wing or a winger (futbol?) and in colloquial use, "undecided."

:B~D

That one was an education for me. Never even heard of the brand before. Checking photos it does seem correct and way better than my initial guess which was a Winnebago.

Sorry I stick with a German Hymer motor caravan. Look at pictures of earlier ones and you will see the colour scheme matches. The name is missing from the grille but that seems common to many of the vehicles.

It has to be a Vectra;

HYe2x0KlBG7B7B3O_RWtQl1KYAQGWYsMJilKLVKUWz1yq60JFKU1hgPb_lRLNO04MEBja1U99YnC819NK1Bh2Xz9dhahEmIvcbI0KbW4NOz3WCJ4S3LolQDAdVUaLAFHDkQ-ANy5PItv08dLHoUSxyDwRZH8pHntm1HUDKTrC0wwFEQZGhcuo6k

It has to be a Vectra;

HYe2x0KlBG7B7B3O_RWtQl1KYAQGWYsMJilKLVKUWz1yq60JFKU1hgPb_lRLNO04MEBja1U99YnC819NK1Bh2Xz9dhahEmIvcbI0KbW4NOz3WCJ4S3LolQDAdVUaLAFHDkQ-ANy5PItv08dLHoUSxyDwRZH8pHntm1HUDKTrC0wwFEQZGhcuo6k

It certainly fits way better than what I've now seen of the Oldsmobile Alero, but look at the grille, the model is different from this photo. Plus, are you really saying that Vauxhall is a brand in the US? I can't much evidence for that. Maybe GM calls the Vectra something else in the US (but not Olds Alero) and makes subtle changes to the trimming. I just don't know.

Last edited:
For those who don't like El Camino, remember Chevrolet also made the Nova, which in Spanish is basically "No-go"

We get Peugeot 206’s down here in Australia, they are not made here but imported, presumably from France. I assume they are available as imports in the US too, because Lothar included 2 of them in his list. The situation with GM cars is different. What is a Vauxhall Vectra made in Luton is an Opel something made in Germany and it appears to be a Saturn Aura in the States;

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/vauxhall/vectra-wins-us-car-of-the-year/

So you may well be right, a Vectra by another name and a slightly different grille design.

As for Nissan Almera, I have no idea, but I know they do have Nissans in the US.

Peugeot and Renault are not allowed in the US for some reason. They were at one time - a neighbor had Renault cars for ages, but then in the 1980s that stopped. Chevy OEMs cars from various manufacturers include Daewoo so check out their cars to find an equivalent.

We have Nissans here, but I'm not familiar with them. All I know is the ones driven over here are driven by a*holes like Audis, Lexus, Mercedes coups, and BMWs.

Here's a list that might be helpful.
https://www.carmodelslist.com/nissan/

This website might be helpful overall for identification. I just found it looking for Nissan cars.
https://www.carmodelslist.com/

Last edited:
Peugeot and Renault are not allowed in the US for some reason. They were at one time - a neighbor had Renault cars for ages, but then in the 1980s that stopped. Chevy OEMs cars from various manufacturers include Daewoo so check out their cars to find an equivalent.

We have Nissans here, but I'm not familiar with them. All I know is the ones driven over here are driven by a*holes like Audis, Lexus, Mercedes coups, and BMWs.

Here's a list that might be helpful.
https://www.carmodelslist.com/nissan/

This website might be helpful overall for identification. I just found it looking for Nissan cars.
https://www.carmodelslist.com/

It'll be about emissions and "safety", it always is for the States. I mean look what we had to do to the MGBs just to sell them in the States. Yeesh. Rubber bumpers etc.

EDIT: They also have what appears to be UK number plates.

Last edited:
https://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=51105

Bingo.

Also the US didn't get the Almera showing again that these are not all American cars. They got the Versa but as far as I can tell that wasn't till 2006 where as the Almera shown in aftermarket orange is 1995 - 1998. It's a mix of EU and US cars for sure.

https://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=51106

Vectra confirmed. No doubt the rest will be on the database too. All from a Parking Sim believe it or not. Naughty naughty.

Looks like most if not all the models are from cheap mobile car games. Mostly if not all Chinese producers.

Last edited:
For those who don't like El Camino, remember Chevrolet also made the Nova, which in Spanish is basically "No-go"

Once Rolls Royce were going to call their new model Silver Mist until they were reminded what mist meant in German (manure). Car names get more and more ridiculous with time with names already registered, hence the search for new names becomes harder. Although not relevant, I am reminded of the story of Ford choosing the name for a new car, I think the Fiesta. Having had the Cortina named after the Italian spa town, somebody suggested why not another spa town. The man running the meeting, I think Bob Lutz, suggested with a straight face "What about Garmisch-Partenkirchen?

https://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=51105

Bingo.

Also the US didn't get the Almera showing again that these are not all American cars. They got the Versa but as far as I can tell that wasn't till 2006 where as the Almera shown in aftermarket orange is 1995 - 1998. It's a mix of EU and US cars for sure.

https://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=51106

Vectra confirmed. No doubt the rest will be on the database too. All from a Parking Sim believe it or not. Naughty naughty.

Looks like most if not all the models are from cheap mobile car games. Mostly if not all Chinese producers.

Maybe not. I ID'd some of the cars from Turbo Squid and Renderosity's website where there are static models for sale for use in other programs. The problem is many of these models are really, really high polygon models. Preview them in Content Manager - right-click and choose Openn then Preview or highlight and press CTRL+SHIFT+R and take a look at the polygons. Some of the cars in the 500,000 plus range with no LOD.

It's obvious that many of these were meant for static rendering such as in automobile advertisements, Poser scenes, etc. because of their high resolution meshes and textures.

Maybe not. I ID'd some of the cars from Turbo Squid and Renderosity's website where there are static models for sale for use in other programs. The problem is many of these models are really, really high polygon models. Preview them in Content Manager - right-click and choose Openn then Preview or highlight and press CTRL+SHIFT+R and take a look at the polygons. Some of the cars in the 500,000 plus range with no LOD.

It's obvious that many of these were meant for static rendering such as in automobile advertisements, Poser scenes, etc. because of their high resolution meshes and textures.

Oh no I meant the companies claiming they are their own work. I'm sure they're freelance works or something.

OK, so the 3D model is of a Vauxhall Vectra, but what does GM call it when they make/sell it in the US, because that’s the name I wanted to give it in my Trainz database. Maybe it’s all too hard and if I can find all the original models in that website, I should just use whatever names they had there.

What a can of worms this turned out to be.

And yes, these cars, and and many other assets under his moniker, are horribly high-poly and often have zillions of separate texture materials, but that’s a topic for another thread. I just want to give them some reasonably justifiable names.

Last edited:
Vauxhall cars are made in UK. Opel cars are made in Germany. Holden cars were made in Australia. Before GM closed the Holden factories, GM imported some Holden cars into USA and renamed them Chevy and Pontiac cars. Opel had a small sports car that looked like baby Corvette in 1970s.

Vauxhall cars are made in UK. Opel cars are made in Germany. Holden cars were made in Australia. Before GM closed the Holden factories, GM imported some Holden cars into USA and renamed them Chevy and Pontiac cars. Opel had a small sports car that looked like baby Corvette in 1970s.

Yup an old neighbor of mine had an Opel GT in the 1970s. It was a rust bucket from all the salt they used to use on our roads. It's sad the Chevy killed the Holden line. The early models were similar to the Nova and Skylark and later models were a combination of the Nova and Chevelle. Nice vehicles. With Holden gone, there are no automobile manufacturer in Australia the last I heard.

Back