British Midlands

Forester1

Looking at routes on the DLS and noticing a bazillion copies of British Midlands. Got me wondering, who is the original author? Is/was it a good route? Has it been updated, since it appears to be quite old? I look down this huge list and have no clue which if any I should try downloading. Thanks for any info!

Edit: I should ask the same about City and Country USA...

Last edited:
Those are the original Trainz routes. The reason for the number of items on the DLS is that the mobile versions can be edited and uploaded with a tap or two. To avoid seeing them, you can add AND NOT; trainzbuild 3.8. This will filter out all 3.8 routes.

Don't forget Outback Australia. Those were as Tony said the first three layouts as they were called then that were included in the very first version of Trainz in 2002. Were they good? For the time they were brilliant. My favorite was Outback Australia as it was based on one of my favorite track plans in 101 Track Plans from Model Railroader magazine. They were updated at some point between TRS2006 and TS10 as there are version 2 of each included as built-in content in my install of TS10.

They were made when the size of a layout was limited to a small number of baseboards and had other restrictions like just 256 ground textures per route.

If you download a few you will find that they are little changed from the original.

William

Thanks Wreeder! Tony, I have filtered out 3.8 and 3.9. These are all 3.6, so maybe I should add that to the filter.... :)

British Midlands was my first thing to see and try when my dad got our first copy of Trainz. Running round and round with the 37 and 55. Certainly the originals will not have aged well. Why no one ever straightened track before a point i'll never understand but they were a good place to start when creating new routes. I tended just to edit BM to my own needs, especially when industries started becoming interactive.

As much as I know I will be in trouble with pofig trees, sometimes one sounds interesting. if it hasn't been updated, which I can hope for... :)

Back