Is there a limit on how big a route is?

I am starting to worry on how big routes can be, with my GTHA route it will probably have more than 300 miles maybe even more than 400. That will be beyond massive, is there a limit to how big a route can be? And if so, how big would it be?

short answer: yes, long answer: 500mb in size but if you go beyond that you won't be able to save it or edit it without extra work and it gets harder to work on. other then these limits you can make it as long as trainz can handle, the detail also eats up your 500mb over time.

My current route, still under development, is over 220 miles of track length (and has reached as far as I am currently willing to go) with an asset size of about 145MB (58MB when compressed into a .cdp file).

I did find a few threads on the issue but none seemed to give a definitive answer. The track length or the number of baseboards are not the only factors - the excessive use of RAM hungry assets will have a significant effect as will your systems available memory (both RAM and virtual). I do seem to recall (without any certainty) that I did see somewhere figures ranging from 500MB to 1GB of actual asset size so I suspect that we both may have a long way to go before reaching any physical limits.

Some users suggested that boredom is more likely to be the limiting factor.

A route generally can be as large as your computer can physically handle. Physically handle means how much RAM and how much disk space you have available to support not only the many miles/kilometers of tracks, but also the huge amount of assets associated with a route of this size.

Some users suggested that boredom is more likely to be the limiting factor.

This holds true not only for building but also for driving. I have a route that's about 200 miles long. It takes 6 hours to drive if everything goes as planned and the AI don't act up like spoilt children. During the 6 hours of driving, I have nodded off to sleep and derailed.

Speaking of AI. I've noticed that AI will start getting marginally stupid over time then totally absolutely knob-headed stupid as time goes on. This is a program issue causing the drivers to "forget" commands, stare at signals, skip signals, track marks, and direction markers. This also affects signals themselves as they display red for one while others show the correct aspect. Pausing the program and resuming fixes that issue for a short time, but the fix is only temporary. Exiting from the driving session and resuming only makes matters worse. Yes. This has been reported and N3V is aware of the problem and it's caused by program threads getting stuck.

I have a route that's about 200 miles long. It takes 6 hours to drive if everything goes as planned and the AI don't act up like spoilt children. During the 6 hours of driving, I have nodded off to sleep and derailed.

What you need is a driver vigilance device that delivers an electric shock if you do not respond after, say, 30 seconds.:hehe:

What you need is a driver vigilance device that delivers an electric shock if you do not respond after, say, 30 seconds.:hehe:

Definitely. This is one of the reasons why I don't drive for long distances for real. At least in the simulation it doesn't cause any damage. :eek:

I'm working on a fictional high-speed route that runs from Corolla, NC to Caswell Beach, NC. (https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyTeoLYBq7ru8csEV54AaABCQ) This route is 312 miles long. So far, it doesn't give me any problems except drivers getting confused because the next station is too far. "Failed to plot route." Sometimes, it'll say, "junction is missing lever," even though there is no junction. I haven't added any scenery except the lighthouses, tracks, trains, signals, a few railroad crossings, some road and signals, so I'm not sure how much detail can be added before the game acts up. I have downloaded a few routes that took over 30 minutes to load, though...

janathan;1829054 This route is 312 miles long. So far said:
I haven't tested this yet for that long of a distance, but it's been my understanding that sending the trains to trackmarks ( checkpoints) along the way would cure that problem. Doesn't breaking the route up into smaller block sections prevent that from happening ? IOW's not cutting the size of the route down but assigning checkpoints along the way. I'm breaking the size of my route down into actual sections ( larger town to larger town) just to help reduce TRAINZ loading time , however even if it stayed as one mega-large route that assigning track marks along the way would allow the AI to properly do it's job.

Last edited:
I'm no expert at convincing the AI to do what I want. But I often instruct an AI train to "Navigate Via Trackmark" which sends the train through a siding along the way. If there is opposing traffic the train will wait in the siding until the path is clear. (Assuming that the train fits in the siding.)

I'm no expert at convincing the AI to do what I want. But I often instruct an AI train to "Navigate Via Trackmark" which sends the train through a siding along the way. If there is opposing traffic the train will wait in the siding until the path is clear. (Assuming that the train fits in the siding.)

That works, but after "sometime", which I'll let you figure out how long that is because it's a technical term, the AI become dumb when there's lots of them.

I am starting to worry on how big routes can be, with my GTHA route it will probably have more than 300 miles maybe even more than 400. That will be beyond massive, is there a limit to how big a route can be? And if so, how big would it be?

I could determine only one limitation in TANE so far. Maps larger 1 GB can not be saved as CDP.
The good thing about it is when you pack it with 7zip the compression ratio is much better than CDP.
Terrain size has no great impact on performance but very much on loading time
Objects and tracks take more data then terrain once you full up your map.

Examples:

Brennerbahn - La Ferrovia del Brennero V2.3.4.
1,3 GB uncompressed, 265 MB compressed (7zip), about 7000 baseboards.
Any real existing track in this area of the Alps is layed on this map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bk_ELWwa-36HtPZkQ3kmQ6Ztd_h7vsAP/view?usp=sharing

Jamaica
2,0 GB uncompressed, 410 MB compressed (Zip), 36128 baseboards
Simple Transdem map with only 1 flight route (Transdem textures needed).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ya5eP2xbRRQwem4lJELiA12TSB_HvT4M/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Back