Victoria, Australia Route

bils

Hello all.

I have been building for several years a route of most of victoria extending from gippsland to the sa border, with part of the north east line, including all melbourne and it's tram routes.
What I have is most signals on the western sg line and some of the sunbury, werribee, williamstown and rrl lines done.
All locations for platforms, roads, bridges and tunnels including MURL and the metro tunnel are included to be completed.
It is 1.5gb in size not including the custom content i have created.
It was made with Tranzdem and has ground textures that need replacing and lots of other stuff that needs fixing too.
What I want to know is when MPS will be working and if anyone else wants to join in making the route for everyone to enjoy.
I would like to keep it as accurate as possible with the exception of a few lines that no longer exist that have been mapped and included.
It would be nice to also have some stations designed and included too.

What do you think?
Regards.

Hi Graeme.
Thanks for the interest. I will upload the route to onedrive and pm you a link when it is done. It may take a while as i have no NBN being rural.
Your artistic skills are much better than mine.

I wish you all the best with this project. It seems very ambitious, but it also seems from your time-line that you have been working on it for a very long time. And noting that this is your 9th post since the forums were resurrected in 2006, it further seems you have been too busy with your route to waste much time posting on the forums. Priorities! :)

Graeme's offer is a generous one.. he already has his finger in a few pies!

Yeah well I don't usually post on forums, as i generally like speaking verbally to other people. Not sure why.

I have been busy with other commitments (work) and might go a few months without even touching trainz what so ever.
As far as ambitious goes - go big and go hard!
Graeham's offer will benefit everyone if there are enough people willing and wanting to play.

Really, there is no one else interested? This is a MEGA route, which will require many hands on deck to produce. A dozen people could work on it on one branch each and still have space for more. All of the DEM is overlaid with Google earth images to make the task easier. MPS may be a little way off yet, but it never hurts to plan!
cheers
Graeme

Really, there is no one else interested? This is a MEGA route, which will require many hands on deck to produce. A dozen people could work on it on one branch each and still have space for more. All of the DEM is overlaid with Google earth images to make the task easier. MPS may be a little way off yet, but it never hurts to plan!
cheers
Graeme
Apparently Not. I am still working on it though.

How do you plan on integrating everyones versions together as everyone works on it? what time period are you working on? which version are you working in? few variables here. Have you posted on Victrainz or in the Australian trainz facebook group? There are a few people working on DEM routes that could possibly be absorbed in (mornington/orbost come to mind) but I think you might need to post some more details up.

How do you plan on integrating everyones versions together as everyone works on it?
Well as it stands the best way would be MPS if/when it works.

what time period are you working on?
Not meaning to be smart but how long is a piece of string? I think this would be an ongoing project that would get better with time.

which version are you working in?
TRS 2019 Build 105096

Have you posted on Victrainz or in the Australian trainz facebook group?
No.
I cannot join the Victrainz forums and have tried over a length of years, even emailing forum admins and have never got a reply, so I take it they don't want me involved.
Facebook is not my thing.

There are a few people working on DEM routes that could possibly be absorbed in (mornington/orbost come to mind) but I think you might need to post some more details up.
There is no reason why other DEM routes could not be merged in replacing what is not done or adding extras to it.

The biggest thing that makes this difficult is it's size. I currently have it on onedrive and will share it with who ever asks, but dont want to post it here for obvious reasons.
What is needed is a solution like git, but it is too big for github. This would be the best solution as I have tried git on a local repo with this route and it works well.
I will investigate an option like this and if i can get it hosted somewhere, then i will post a link, but there is no guarantee that any repo will host a project of size without some sort of payment, which is outside the scope of my wallet.

I would have thought that a community effort to get a large route like this going would have been something that was already considered and underway.
Going back to "How do you plan on integrating everyones versions together as everyone works on it?" there is no reason why several dem routes could be seperated out from the main one, worked on by someone then merged in at a later date.

Update:
I have uploaded it to github with lfs extensions. This compresses it to just under 600mb.
I recommend installing github desktop, git bash & git-lfs.
This will require some use of a command prompt for the initial setup.

The route can be checked out with git from https://github.com/wsidebottom/Trainz-Victorian-Route.git

To get it into Trainz, the checked out directory must be imported into trainz, excluding the ".git" directory.
Once any updates are make to the route, it must be exported from trainz with "show in explorer", then copied back to the checked out directory and committed.
There are plenty of tutorials on how to use git on the web, so I will not go into anymore detail about git.

If this does not work, then not sure what will before MPS comes out.
Fingers-Crossed!!

Last edited:
Bils, I just clicked on your 'github' link and it's only limited to just 1000 entries.

If you create cdp files for your route and the dependencies and save them on say, an external hard drive; then,...

if you use the free version of 'WeTransfer.com' which allows you to transfer up to 2GB of files at a time to each of the people who are contributing, you may find it far simpler to use.

I use this method all the time.

Cheers,
Roy

I more meant which time period are you modelling it'd obviously be very different in 2020 compared to late 50's VR. I only have Tane installed at the moment but id be interested in helping out when i upgrade to TS2019. Sounds like quite the project will be fantastic watching it progress along.

I more meant which time period are you modelling it'd obviously be very different in 2020 compared to late 50's VR.
I see. I don't think it matters. There is no reason why it can't be 2020 with some of earlier times for lines that no longer exist.
eg. Ballarat-Ararat i have put signals, sidings and stations that no longer exist in place. Yanac line also no longer exists but is there too.

I only have Tane installed at the moment but id be interested in helping out when i upgrade to TS2019. Sounds like quite the project will be fantastic watching it progress along.
TRS2019 is alot better than TANE was in my opinion. The sooner you upgrade, the sooner you can come see and even fix some stuff too.

What a HUGE project this would be!

Hi,

I've only just come across this project after spending quite a while away from Trainz on Trainsim enjoying learning about the maze of railways in and around London UK.

I cloned the git repository and imported it into Trainz as described above. It is bare base-board with terrain and track for what seems like every railway that exists or did exist in Victoria. It even has the old Rosstown Railway near where I live in Bentleigh.

I haven't done any route buiding in Trainz so I need to do a LOT of learning before I could contribute to the very big project.

Brad.

Back