Saving my game to external harddrive

44Smith

Did lots of work on new route. One day the laptop crashed and I lost everything. Now I have an external harddrive. What files should I look for as I continue to make a new route to be saved to my external

The easiest way is to save the route you're working on to CDP at the end of each work session. This is what I do with my own WIP routes and I simply add the date to the end of the route's file name. That way I have a progressive record of the work that I have done.

In addition to CDP backups of favorite routes, especially your own, copy your all of your Trainz content to an external drive. Once a week, I copy my TRS2019 content located on my "E" drive to my backup external drive.

A full backup takes 4 hours so I do it overnight, but a differential backup takes about 45 minutes. I will do the full backup monthly, and then the in between differential backups, which only capture stuff that changed, once a week.

By doing this, I've been able to transfer everything, lock, stock, and barrel to another drive or even another computer without missing or losing anything I've been working on. If I use my laptop, such as when I used to travel, I would copy over, via CDP, only the route(s) I modified.

It's because of this, I was able to avert two very serious hard drive incidents and recovered nearly Scott free without any data loss.

I use SyncToy 2.1, a handy (and FREE) application directly from Microsoft. You can find it here. It does all types of file shuffling, including differential backups which, as John mentions, takes less time than a full backup. It doesn't say so, but it WILL run just fine on Windows 10.

Bill

Back