Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quixel Mixer for PBR texturing?

To be honest I think that the price of Substance Painter is worth it. It's only 15 EUR a month if you sign on for a year, and you can get a perpetual licence on Steam for 127 EUR. You can also try it out for 30 days for free which seems very fair. In that time you can texture a ton of assets if you have prepared them correctly (UV and Material ID maps are already done for example), plus you can find out how it runs on your hardware.

If you really don't want to pay then Quixel Mixer seems to have a similar workflow to Substance Painter (so changing over later shouldn't be too much of a problem), but I reckon if you are serious about content creation or have a lot of assets that need PBR textures then the limitations of Mixer might well get a bit annoying after a while.

Paul

Also I'll add if you're a teacher or professor (or any personnel at a facility considered academic) you can get a complimentary license. You do need to renew it yearly however, with a simple photo ID. You get the whole suite including Designer, which after thinking about it, might be a better idea for generating materials than adding 150 layers of fill/paint/mask layers to my SP files

I'm not a teacher or student, and Quixel Mixer is fine. The ambient occlusion needs to be tuned down a but, but I am very pleased with my first result.

Last edited by dundun92; November 24th, 2020 at 09:54 PM.

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

I used both Designer, Painter and Alchemist when they were made by Allegorithmic for many years and loved them. I was a bit leery of Adobe buying them for the Creative Cloud as I had cancelled my CC subscription due to a general decrease in feature additions year after year. After all $720 per year is a bit steep to pay if the programs only get 5% better per year. So it sounds like there is a stand alone subscription for the suite now. I may have to look into that product.

William

A new version of Quixel Mixer came out today, it now allows you to export masks...

https://quixel.com/blog/2020/11/25/q...ource=hs_email

Paul

Blog Entries

Thanks, Paul.

I dl'd 1.5beta 2 days ago and was going to install it today. Now I just grabbed 1.6 beta and will start with it.

Bob Pearson
    TRAINZ-UTC-TRS04-TRS06-TC1&2-TC3-TS09-TS10-TS12-TANE(TEG)-TMR17-TRS19
    Member since 6-14-2002

Even better, multiple texture sets and UDIMs are in the final phase of development, which will make Mixer a real competitor for Substance.

Really getting the hang of it now. What I found surprising was how I was able to get a pretty good result just from making my own custom materials directly from Mixer, without using any of their paid materials.