Quixel Mixer for PBR texturing?

dundun92

UK Content Creator
Hello.
Since I don't want to pay for substance, I found this free 3d texturing software called Quixel Mixer. Does anyone have experience with this software and would be able to give me a tutorial on how to texture Trainz meshes using this?
Thanks,

JBVector

Hi Dundun92
I have used Mixer for a few assets, and a number of ground textures (it is fantastic for ground texture generation, and for doing 'terrain textures' on 3D models!).

You can only currently do 1 texture at a time in it (ie the mesh cannot have more than 1 texture), so you will need to either UV map the asset to use just 1 texture, or do each texture as a separate export to quixel.

For the maps, you would configure them something like this:

mixer-maps-1.JPG

mixer-maps-2.JPG

For ground textures, you would configure the normals map like so:
mixer-maps-3.JPG

The results are pretty good, but you really want to build up a collection of 'grunge' type textures that you can overlay onto your paints/etc to get the most from it. Unfortunately unless you can create a good selection of these yourself, you are probably going to need a subscription for Megascans. Mind you, there's some absolutely fantastic textures on there! (let alone the scanned 3D assets)

Regards
Zec

You certainly can use Mixer to create the PBR textures and it's pretty easy to use as well - once you have the textures just use GIMP to prepare the albedo and parameter files. You can use the YouTube tutorials to learn how to use it, plenty of info on creating PBR materials is available in the Trainz Wiki.

As noted you can only texture one mesh at a time (at the moment), but you can work with this limitation. Note, however, you will need a computer with considerable grunt to use Mixer effectively, an i3 laptop with Intel graphics is not going to cut it. Even my 6 year old desktop with an i7 and a GTX970 is just about useable...

Some examples:
2020-11-19_193602.png

2020-11-19_193735.png

2020-11-19_194106.png

Paul

Last edited:
You certainly can use Mixer to create the PBR textures and it's pretty easy to use as well - once you have the textures just use GIMP to prepare the albedo and parameter files. You can use the YouTube tutorials to learn how to use it, plenty of info on creating PBR materials is available in the Trainz Wiki.

As noted you can only texture one mesh at a time (at the moment), but you can work with this limitation. Note, however, you will need a computer with considerable grunt to use Mixer effectively, an i3 laptop with Intel graphics is not going to cut it. Even my 6 year old desktop with an i7 and a GTX970 is just about useable...

Some examples:
2020-11-19_193735.png

2020-11-19_194106.png

2020-11-19_193602.png

Paul
Thanks. I have a i5 4690, 1tb SSD, 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 1060, and it works pretty smooth with 4096k textures, but not 8k.

Some examples:

2020-11-19_194106.png

Paul

I rather like this one. Is it available?

Thanks John

Yes. It looks so cute. And would it be available without buffers and with knuckle couplings? We, "The North American Short Line Switching Fraternity", need something like that to work our little yards.

Phil

Very nice Paul!

I'd definitely recommend playing with the export settings, so you don't need to edit your textures in Gimp. Saves a lot of time to use the presets to export to Trainz ready formats.

The exception is the displacement map. It exports 'centered', which is fine for ground textures, but for meshes it makes it push in more than you'll want... For those, you'll need to adjust the displacement map so that the 'highest' point in it is at 255,255,255.

Regards

I rather like this one. Is it available?
It's one of the locos included with PLL with PBR materials added.
Yes. It looks so cute. And would it be available without buffers and with knuckle couplings? We, "The North American Short Line Switching Fraternity", need something like that to work our little yards.
I can do a version without buffer and with knuckle couplers but it would be a bit on the small side for North America.

Paul

I'd definitely recommend playing with the export settings, so you don't need to edit your textures in Gimp. Saves a lot of time to use the presets to export to Trainz ready formats.
Thanks for that Zec, it is indeed possible to get Quixel Mixer to create the parameter file directly and to have it saved in the asset directory which saves a lot of time. Once again pretending I know what I'm doing has resulted in a useful tip on how to do things better...

Paul

Hello.
Since I don't want to pay for substance, I found this free 3d texturing software called Quixel Mixer. Does anyone have experience with this software and would be able to give me a tutorial on how to texture Trainz meshes using this?
Thanks,

JBVector

If you are a student or if anyone in your household is a student, the Substance suite is free and renewable yearly.

John

If you are a student or if anyone in your household is a student, the Substance suite is free and renewable yearly.

John

True but there is a fairly large investment in time to learn the product and what happens when the course is finished?

Cheerio John

To be honest I think that the price of Substance Painter is worth it. It's only 15 EUR a month if you sign on for a year, and you can get a perpetual licence on Steam for 127 EUR. You can also try it out for 30 days for free which seems very fair. In that time you can texture a ton of assets if you have prepared them correctly (UV and Material ID maps are already done for example), plus you can find out how it runs on your hardware.

If you really don't want to pay then Quixel Mixer seems to have a similar workflow to Substance Painter (so changing over later shouldn't be too much of a problem), but I reckon if you are serious about content creation or have a lot of assets that need PBR textures then the limitations of Mixer might well get a bit annoying after a while.

Paul

Also I'll add if you're a teacher or professor (or any personnel at a facility considered academic) you can get a complimentary license. You do need to renew it yearly however, with a simple photo ID. You get the whole suite including Designer, which after thinking about it, might be a better idea for generating materials than adding 150 layers of fill/paint/mask layers to my SP files :eek:

I'm not a teacher or student, and Quixel Mixer is fine. The ambient occlusion needs to be tuned down a but, but I am very pleased with my first result.

Dr0OJGLN_o.png
4OQKqVIW_o.png

Last edited:
I used both Designer, Painter and Alchemist when they were made by Allegorithmic for many years and loved them. I was a bit leery of Adobe buying them for the Creative Cloud as I had cancelled my CC subscription due to a general decrease in feature additions year after year. After all $720 per year is a bit steep to pay if the programs only get 5% better per year. So it sounds like there is a stand alone subscription for the suite now. I may have to look into that product.

William

Back