Dem Grades & Accuracy

I always wanted a Trainz route of the Niagara area. There were some made but they aren't accurate. There is a huge blank DEM on the DLS of the Niagara area but the Ontario, Canada side is blank, no TIGER lines. I too struggle with gradients especially on those old HOG blank routes made by fishlipsatwork, smooz, etc. Sometimes there's ugly gaps like V or raised ridges and raised points like /\ in the terrain. The uneven terrain where the light blue track lines are really frustrates me. Especially with mountainous and hilly terrain. Without track charts of a particular line I have to guess the gradients. Any tips on working with HOG maps to get better results?

Might want to check out my youtube links, you might enjoy it. The only reason why I didn't download a Niagara route is I'm too cheap to buy a ticket :) Yet I'm crazy enough to want to get an altimeter to get my route right :)

I do almost daily live streams and I'll be doing one shortly on the Jordan Viaduct and a very suitable fill in (not perfect). As I've been told compromise is key here. One of these days either my son or I will learn how to do our own assets. Until then I so appreciate the sharing of so many talented individuals.

Thanks

Sean

I have to remember that this is all about compromise if you want to have fun and not lose your mind :) When I was streaming tonight I recalled the days when if I just had some plywood and an operation with a model railroad I was happy. Anyways the build of the scene should be up on my channel later. The bridge was only 30 meters short but fit right in and has done more than an adequate job.

I've posted some screenshots of the crossing as well. Had to dredge the harbour a little bit from the DEM as I needed to lower quite a bit, but it fit nicely in the end.

Once I'm finished the track alignments, grade crossings, and signals I'll add in the trees and rest of the scenery to complete this scene.

The way I see it right now the DEM accuracy is as good as the data. TransDem has been a great purchase for me allowing me to carve out realistic scenes quickly and concentrate on the route and bridges like this.

Thanks

Sean

Back