Terrain Height Question

lewisner

This is embarrassing but feel free to laugh.
A long time ago, maybe 10 years, late at night I decided to have a go at modelling Sledmere & Fimber station on the Malton & Driffield Railway. I had a very large scale plan (33 feet to an inch) so I popped up a terrain square and measured the track dimensions very carefully. Maybe a day later it was looking good and little by little I extended it. After a few months work I realised I had started on the base terrain height of 0 metres when in fact the height at Sledmere was 74 metres. I was too far advanced to contemplate using TranzDem, even if I could understand it, to build an accurate terrain map and do it all over again so I just plodded on.
In about 2013 I gave up Trainz and the route started a nebulous existence on various hard drives and USB sticks and miraculously it survived until 2 months ago when I recommenced work on my route,
But it is still orientated in the wrong direction and 74 metres too low at every point which means for instance that I can't have a lake because water won't go below sea level.

Is there now, or will there ever likely be, a method to add 74 metres to every height, object and spline on the entire route and rotate it so that it is correctly orientated NSEW ?

Water can go below the 0m elevation. Or at least in TS12 and TANE. Did you try?

Orientation is a bigger problem. You could copy, turn, paste; but I would not try without a lot of patience and no more then one baseboard at a time.

Water can go below the 0m elevation. Or at least in TS12 and TANE. Did you try?

Orientation is a bigger problem. You could copy, turn, paste; but I would not try without a lot of patience and no more then one baseboard at a time.

Lol the game decided to make a fool of me (not that takes much effort) by suddenly deciding that the water which previously wouldn't budge would suddenly move ! So that's one problem dealt with. I guess copying and pasting should work but as it's a 20 mile long wrong it would be fraught with difficulties. When I imported it from TRS12 I replaced a few embankments only to find that that they were mysteriously vaporised a couple of days later so I now save the route to a CDP every day just to be on the safe side.

Does 19 continue the "World Origin" asset and settings (under Main Menu>Environment) ? If so, the altitude adjustment should be simple, just fill in the blank.

Note I say "should," not "will."

:B~)

Last edited:
Does 19 continue the "World Origin" asset and settings (under Main Menu>Environment) ? If so, the altitude adjustment should be simple, just fill in the blank.

Note I say "should," not "will."

:B~)

Good idea but I found the altitude tab and filled in 74 metres then clicked Reset but nothing changed.

Good idea but I found the altitude tab and filled in 74 metres then clicked Reset but nothing changed.

Only the Latitude and Longitude can be edited in game on both TANE and TRS19. To edit the Altitude aka Elevation you must do so by editing the config.txt file for the Route under World Origin. Here is an example for Denver Colorado

Elevation TANE 03.PNG

Only the Latitude and Longitude can be edited in game on both TANE and TRS19. To edit the Altitude aka Elevation you must do so by editing the config.txt file for the Route under World Origin. Here is an example for Denver Colorado

Elevation TANE 03.PNG

Thanks for this. I have some ideas for things I've been trying to fix.

Elevation TANE 03.PNG

I owe you a pint ! I opened the config file, replaced 0 with 73 and hallelujah ! the heights are right now. Bearing in mind I built it from scratch without TranzDEM I think I can feel proud that at a level crossing at the north end of the line the height is out by just one metre compared with Google Earth Pro.
Thanks again.

Back