Substituting one KUID for another - what are the steps?

wmm1216

In many routes there are a few Kuids that cannot be found and it would be nice to be able to place another kuid instead to eliminate grid lines from showing up - for example.

Perhaps it is a certain tree that can’t be found but any other tree would be suitable. I am a user not a developer. I have tried editing the config.txt file but that does not necessarily fix the problem and I do not know the complete steps or places to look.

Can someone define the steps to do this in a route and in a session??

Thanks in advance!
wmm1216

Last edited:
So, you have missing items (obviously not showing) that you need to replace with other items.
You could simply use the "delete missing assets" function and then just place new items in the gaps.

There is this method, although it will only work if you know what type the missing items are. Admittedly this may be hard if the original is missing, but I don't think there is any other way.
1. Find the kuid of your missing asset.
2. Find an item you will definately not be using on your route - must be of the same type ie. ground texture, scenery object, track, etc. as the missing one.
3. In CM, open this item, and alter the kuid to match that of your missing item. Its a good idea to alter the name as well, so you don't get them mixed up.
4.Don't "submit edits" but go to File>Import Content Folder, navigate to the TRS19/editing folder. In my install this is C:\Users\**myname**\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build 18y6drpn1\editing
5. Import the new asset you have just made, by "Import content folder".
6. In the game, open the route in Surveyor, go to Main Menu>Bulk Asset Update-Replace (or Tools Menu>Bulk Asset Update Replace in TRS19) and replace your newly made asset with the one you want on your route.
7. Save the route/session.
8. Back in CM, delete your newly made asset. You should also "Revert to Original" the good asset you cloned.
9. Repeat for all your missing assets you need to replace.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
DavidBird's method is called cloning and is good for trees and textures and other assets that aren't single concrete items. For single items like a building or a boxcar you can find a substitute you like and just replace the kuid of the original in the kuid list of config.txt with the kuid of the substitute.

DavidBird's method is called cloning and is good for trees and textures and other assets that aren't single concrete items. For single items like a building or a boxcar you can find a substitute you like and just replace the kuid of the original in the kuid list of config.txt with the kuid of the substitute.

You can't edit the config.txt and have that replace assets. This doesn't work because the assets aren't tracked in the config.txt file. This config.txt file asset list is for searching only. The assets themselves are tracked in other files. map.obj, map.trc, etc. Your changes in the config.txt file may work initially, but as soon as you do a database repair, everything gets undone.

What the OP can do is clone an asset. I use an awful looking bright orange cedar tree that dates back to the early Trainz days. This out of scale extra bright tree serves as a marker. I will clone this awful asset, change the kuid to reflect the missing one, and import the updated bad asset in. Wherever this orange monster stands out, I know that asset can be replaced with something else. If it's a tree, I'll fine something suitable easily. For buildings, this can become more difficult finding a suitable asset.

Tony mentioned that the N3V devs will look into making the orange boxes easier to replace. When this happens is whenever it happens.

Thanks John, for confirming my method
I was beginning to doubt myself.
I've edited my post above to update step 8.

Thanks for all the tips. Busy week ahead but I will attempt the suggestions.
As for N3V, please develop soonest for us users who love Trainz but hate hunting for assets more than running routes & sessions.

cheers
wmm1216

Back