NEW British Train Sim Discord

HotshotJimmy

Good evening all,

I remember a topic a couple of weeks back about the British train/route scene in Trainz being over-looked for the larger American and wider world Trainz communities. With this in mind Myself and a few others have decided to create a Discord soley for the purpose of discussing and sharing information on train simming (and real life rails) of the British Isles.

We are asking those who create content of UK origin to come and join the Discord. We have an area set aside to also allow you to chat in peace with fellow creators about your creations public or private. It would be a great way to bring in new members if we started to join all the info in one area. I welcome everyone who has an interest in simming in the UK.

You don't need to live in the UK of course, everyone is welcome to come and enjoy the information sharing and fellowship. We have a number of roles available if anyone is looking to help with the server itself. Below is a link that invites you to the server, please familiarise yourself with the server rules and then ask one of the admin team for your roles so we can get you access to the server as quick as possible.

Kind regards,

James :wave:

https://discord.gg/7tDJHpw

Good evening all,

I remember a topic a couple of weeks back about the British train/route scene in Trainz being over-looked for the larger American and wider world Trainz communities. With this in mind Myself and a few others have decided to create a Discord soley for the purpose of discussing and sharing information on train simming (and real life rails) of the British Isles.

We are asking those who create content of UK origin to come and join the Discord. We have an area set aside to also allow you to chat in peace with fellow creators about your creations public or private. It would be a great way to bring in new members if we started to join all the info in one area. I welcome everyone who has an interest in simming in the UK.

You don't need to live in the UK of course, everyone is welcome to come and enjoy the information sharing and fellowship. We have a number of roles available if anyone is looking to help with the server itself. Below is a link that invites you to the server, please familiarise yourself with the server rules and then ask one of the admin team for your roles so we can get you access to the server as quick as possible.

Kind regards,

James :wave:

https://discord.gg/7tDJHpw

And the advantage over email lists and forums is?

Thanks John

That a fair number of people use Discord and find it easier to use (mobile app etc) than a forum. Also tends to be able to carry conversations better, sharing of images and videos is also more easy on the eyes with previews. It is also free so I don't need to pay anyone to set up a website soley for a forum. Of the 250 million people using Discord i'm sure there are those that enjoy the topics I have outlined above. If you don't use Discord (via a web browser or app) I highly recommend upgrading to it over email lists and forums.

Kind regards,

James

I'm not a modern social media user and I don't get involved in real time chat since it's too much of a struggle for me with this illness I have. I do wish you well though even if I won't be taking part.

I'm not a modern social media user and I don't get involved in real time chat since it's too much of a struggle for me with this illness I have. I do wish you well though even if I won't be taking part.

Not a problem I completely understand. There is a section for model railway simming so I can post about your endeavours and get people downloading the routes:)

Not a problem I completely understand. There is a section for model railway simming so I can post about your endeavours and get people downloading the routes:)

Yes I'm fine with that. I type very slowly and I make lots of mistakes that I have to edit before I post so you can see why anything in real time is a complete non starter for me.

Likewise I avoid anything that involves chat rooms of any kind or any social media nonsense or mobile gadgets, many years of moderating the chat rooms from hell has put me totally off having anything to do with such things ever again.Not I would imagine that discord is anywhere near as bad although the name itself is somewhat off putting Discord - Disagreement between people.

Its not open to the public if that is what you are all worried about, its a closed group that requires invites to be placed. Well anyway we've had a few more join last night so I respect you replying even if I don't understand your reasoning.

I'm struggling to understand why you need this when we already have a Trainz Discord server with channels for content creation, Trainz chat, general railway chat, routes, sessions, etc.

Because it is full of American content that doesn't interest me. Trawling through pages and pages of JR talk, Sd40 this and Sd40 that has gotten a little old. Any little conversation there is about UK content is whisked away by another question about a reskin of a US diesel. So for those that are not interested in that we now have a British one that focuses on that topic. I tend not to use the Official one anymore as there are 2 other ones that have slightly smaller communities to focus the conversations.

Also i'd like to add this isn't just for the Trainz Community, we've had some join from the TS forums too and those who still ise MSTS.

Last edited:
Look, its your thread and I wish you well with your Brit server. But I will point out that the Trainz Discord 3D modelling and content creation channels are very different from the "noisier" chat channels. And there are authors in those channels who focus on Brit content and that includes myself. :D

Because it is full of American content that doesn't interest me. Trawling through pages and pages of JR talk, Sd40 this and Sd40 that has gotten a little old. Any little conversation there is about UK content is whisked away by another question about a reskin of a US diesel. So for those that are not interested in that we now have a British one that focuses on that topic. I tend not to use the Official one anymore as there are 2 other ones that have slightly smaller communities to focus the conversations.

Also i'd like to add this isn't just for the Trainz Community, we've had some join from the TS forums too and those who still ise MSTS.

And I think you've just identified a problem area for many of us. Filtering what is of interest. With an email list you can select a thread, same with a forum. I work with content creators in New Zealand, Australia, Wales, Ireland and the rest of the UK, USA, and I'm in Canada so instant communication across the many different time zones really doesn't work too well.

Cheerio John

Look, its your thread and I wish you well with your Brit server. But I will point out that the Trainz Discord 3D modelling and content creation channels are very different from the "noisier" chat channels. And there are authors in those channels who focus on Brit content and that includes myself. :D

Who said it was noisy. It appears some think its going to be full of nonsense. We have a "content creators tearoom" that is seperate and private from the other channels. Current topics being talked about include me posting some images of my route i'm working, Slip coaches and some BTI videos from Youtube have been posted sparking some questions about signalling styles.

Those people who are not interested have made their mind up that is fine. It is a shame in my opinion but there it is. This thread was to allow people to join via the link and POSSIBLY get some of the larger UK content creators to try a new platform if they don't use Discord. 50% complete so i'll take it. I think some have misunderstood the "instant communication" of it all but nevermind.

I fully agree that sometimes talking about another country’s railways can get swept under the rug by yet another SD40-2T374 reskin ;) , it would be nice to get some regional channels in the main discord for talk of other main countries (UK, US, Europe, AUS) like the DTG discord has. The #general-railway-chat gets flooded with photos of US stuff which mainly owes to the large US fanbase Trainz has. It can be a place where British content isn’t really known about or acknowledged.

For a lot of my inquiries about obscure details, such as my electric loco on which little photo reference material exists from the 60s, I’ve had much luck asking on the DTG discord. I assume if it was American content, I’d do the same with the N3V discord, which is a great resource. If that doesn’t work I’ll usually head over to RMWeb since there are many ex-drivers that have spent careers working electric traction. The problem with forum-based RMWeb, is that oftentimes I will wait 3 days for an answer. Discord, it’s usually 3 to 30 minutes. I only tend to use forums to get info or reference material at the end of the day, since I know it is a waste of time to stay up and wait for a reply.

With instant communication however comes instantaneous bullsh*t, but if you designate a channel specifically for “toxic waste management” all the annoying spam is contained in there.

Back