Straight sided cuts

LionkingCMSL

Retired Amtrak worker
Is there any way to create a straight-sided cut? Using the tool to match ground height to spline height makes it too wide for my purposes.

I have a "duck under" track going under a single track and a four-track mainline. Of course, this track is on a curve (~800' (24m) radius), so it's not easy to build bridges over it.

Being I'm using the standard U.S. 13 foot track centerline to centerline most of the offered bridges won't work, as I would have to "splay" the tracks out, something I have to do at grade crossings.

Here is a top-down view of what I'm talking about:
de1yajm-30b20b6d-0580-4b98-901e-9013151cdd2c.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

In my experience the limiting factor is the square terrain grid. If your cut is orientated perfectly N-S or E-W then a straight edged cut is possible. For a diagonal or curved cut then it is not possible. The only work-around that I am aware of (but have never used) is to use cutting splines (available on the DLS) that will provide a rock wall cut face but you do not have control over the textures used for matching your surrounding terrain.

Look for bridge kits and ballast splines to make your own bridge. This allows for the track to be placed over what you build. Cliff, Rock and retaining wall splines will make the cut narrower. Also use the 5m grid to make the spread of tool to smaller areas.

A feature to apply different angles to the sides of embankments and cuttings at the smoothing stage (default in MSTS and DTG TS) has been consistently ignored by N3V (and their Auran predecessors) since its lack was first pointed out in, oh, 2001. Switching to 5m terrain grid helps somewhat with the jaggies but you still have to use one of the Heath Robinson methods to sculpt your banks so they are not at nearly 90 degrees!

Lionking,
I have been using 5m terrain and a 4ft walkway as the spline to make my cuts. If you only click one time, it makes a fairly close cut even around curves and at angles to the grid. (Of course, I am running a 2-track mainline on my route.) I suppose you could try something even smaller and see what that would do. If you really need 90 degrees, then an embankment is probably the best choice.
Ron

I thank all that have replied to my question. All suggestions are taken under advisement.

One note though, as this is located in South(ern New) Jersey, rock and cliff faces are not applicable. I have found a concrete retaining wall and a "reinforced earth embankment" that will work.

I thank all that have replied to my question. All suggestions are taken under advisement.

One note though, as this is located in South(ern New) Jersey, rock and cliff faces are not applicable. I have found a concrete retaining wall and a "reinforced earth embankment" that will work.

I have a load of Grass cutting splines on the DLS badly named as CL Grass Bank, they match my grass textures, so might help.

Back