Cleethorpes to Grimsby - A "Proto-Model" Concept

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Well the above is almost ready to upload, so thought I would share a few screenshots. Apologies for the fog, I couldn't see how to get rid of it from the session. I have set up a Demo session entitled "PM1 Cleethorpes Morning Session" which will give an idea of how the route works. During testing Trainz AI performed a bit erraticallyand I had to abandon a nice Deltic hauled service as the AI refused to run round at Cleethorpes.

The idea behind proto modelling is to take a three mile stretch or thereabouts of real railway, but cut down the surrounding area so it fits on the average width of a model railway baseboard. This means the full track layout can be represented along with Transdem to supply the terrain, rather than having to hand carve it.

I've already learned a few lessons going forward, namely that the rooms need to be more evenly shaped, ideally I had intended to do the whole thing as a big warehouse or museum setting, but the LOD on our current room walls means they are not visible from that far away. This is also the last layout where I will leave fascia splines jutting out from the edge, to hide the terrain bleed through at the floor and will resume using the dighole system.

Special thanks to all the content creators who continue to support the model format.

Note if you get any error messages regarding missing assets starting with KUID 126773, these relate to the Transdem textures. Eliminating references to these as always proves elusive. They are not required for the route to function and run.

Last edited:
A very interesting idea which interested me from the start. Maybe that would be the answer to my West Norfolk Railway from Heacham to Wells which has been so many years in the making and looks like never being finished.

I'm pleased to see the room name signs in use and was very glad to be of help.

Ray

Back