'Wait for Trigger' does not work

I did that pitkin, filtered out ATLS and atls, if people use other names, then alas
There is a distinct limit to the ammount a driver command can handle
if i ask about i get no answer ;-) and our routes get bigger and bigger
greetings GM

Yes, I could tell from your post. I was emphasizing it hoping others might read it.

It is my firm believe N3V should fix this kind of basic commands (and not me) hope it works for you

The problem is that the "Wait For Trigger" driver command in NOT an N3V command. In the past whenever there have been accusations (unproven and unfounded) of N3V "changing/altering" assets created by others there has been a hue and cry in these forums. It can get very nasty with some users "heating up the tar and gathering the feathers". Now if the creator, marinus, gives his permission, and his last post in these forums was 14 years ago and latest uploads to the DLS were 5-6 years ago, then it is a different story. But if he cannot be contacted then someone may have to create a new "Wait For Trigger" command from scratch.

How can something basic as Wait for trigger (built-in =Approved and part of the sold package from N3v) not be the responsebility of N3v ??
People pay for the software and anything built-in is part of the deal.
Besides that and i stated that many times allready, if something is broken(no matter who made it) it harms the experience for all users.
error/non working/broken leads to people leaving, people leaving leads to less profits.
We don't want another TANE kickstarter begging for money, now do we? (maybe glad i missed all that)
too many great people have left us allready.

btw did anyone try my old school "Wait for Trigger 2" replacement with ATLS filter yet?
getting curious ;-)
greetings GM

Last edited:
There are many assets that are "built-in" where N3V do not own the copyright. Those assets are built-in with the permission of the original creators but that does not give N3V the right to "bend, fold or spindle" those assets as some of us would like.

N3V no longer create their own assets (or they create very very few) so they rely on the pool of creators (us) to do that. If they started altering those donated assets for whatever "very good reason", there is a risk that the pool of creators will dry up.

There is a possibility that the Content Repair Group could take a look at it but they are a very small group of very underpaid and overworked volunteers.

Marinus brought out his first version 11/04/2003 (the kuid not kuid2) 90% of the code was based on drivercommand script code from Auran
it has been in the game for so many years, and if you look at the version history (we are now at :10) SOMEONE, not marinus has been making changes
so the SOMEONE, not me should fix it.
The sad thing is that its not actually broken, N3v should just change the max. what a driver command can handle if its 256 make it 512 etc. just double it.

if its not broke don't fix it.
if you don't fix it, I will.
If i can't fix it, I'll make new.
greetings GM

I believe that the root cause of the problem with this command, and probably others as raised in other forum threads, is not the limit to the max search number but a timeout problem caused by faulty or inefficient scripts in other assets, particularly locos. So doubling the max search limit is unlikely to solve the problem.

My opinions.

You could be right pware, the Wait for trigger, does 2 searches in 1 command
Search all trigger + Search all trains(vehicles) this is a lot combined
so yes it works with small routes and a few trains.

In my route, i reached maximum, with the Drive to, Navigate to, Wait for trigger etc etc
There were 200 windmills (hey its Holland) in my route, those were made as industries, had to make them scenery, to get my 200 destinations back
and voila driver commands worked again.

but hey no worry, if N3v wont change it, I'll just write(actually allready did), Drive to Signal, Driver to Trigger, Drive to Junction
that gives me loads of extra destinations.
I know my old school "Wait for Trigger 2" works in my route where the built-in does not.
just trying to improve/repair the game for all us and specially those that are just casual players
greetings GM

Hi All
Due to issues with driver commands trying to display potentially hundreds, and even thousands, of menu options (and effectively causing Trainz to freeze or crash on many systems) we have had to limit how many menu options can be displayed by a driver command.

With TRS19, instead of the driver command failing to work (ie causing script errors, or being able to be added but not configured), we have made changes to Trainz so that in this situation the driver command becomes greyed out, and hence cannot be added.

For the 'wait for trigger' command this command displays two levels of menu, which add together. The first level is that it will display all of the trigger objects on the route. The second level is that it will then display, for each and every trigger, a list of all locomotives on the route.

If your route has a lot of triggers on it, or a lot of traincars, or even a lot of both, then this results in a lot of menu options having to be generated and displayed. If it tries to generate too many entries, then it will simply not load.

The solution in this case, until an alternate or updated driver command is released, is to either reduce the number of triggers on the route/session, or reduce the number of locomotives on the route. One option here is to not place 'static' locomotives (ie locomotives that will sit in a depot, but not perform any tasks during the session) till you have completed configuration of the sessions commands (if you need to fill the spot, you can use a non locomotive traincar in it's place temporarily).

The best solution of course is for the driver command to be updated. We have updated a number of N3V created driver commands to use our newer menu system, which does handle this much better (ie provides a dropdown list after the command is added; or multiple dropdown lists where multiple options are provided). Unfortunately it's simply not possible for us to update every 3rd party driver command, even those that are used in builtin routes or sessions. Despite what many may think, we are a very small team, and we are limited on how much we can do at any one time.

There are also limits on how much we can change content from 3rd party creators internally (and we have often received complaints when we have made updates/fixes to content in similar situations!).

Regards

Again a clear reply TY Zec

Can we please know the current set maximum a driver command can take?
I could make a lil script that counts trackmarks, triggers train etc.
so we know where we are in our current route/session.

Understand that the problem will only get worse over time, our PC's can handle more
People will make bigger routes and drive more trainz.

It's clear there is a small team, but then prioritize.
the game should never freeze or CTD or make things grey out.
cause this leads to users complaining or leaving this game.

The amount of triggers has raised because of the ATLS system
and that was made because kind Mocrossing is not flexible to begin with.
So if we have a way to filter out names beginning ATLS or atls (like i did in my script)
we effectively lower the number of triggers for the menu's

greetings GM

Hi

I also find the two commands mentioned by stagecoach will do the same job as Wait for Trigger and a lot more besides. Have a look at other Rules and Driver Commands created by "atilabarut". Although most of these rules and driver commands are in excess of 15 years old they still seem to work as expected. The downside of them is that most of them require a path to be set as they don't plot their own path.

AutoDrivePastJunction for example will stop a train of any length just past a junction (depending on the junction radius) without needing a trackmark to drive to.

Regards

Brian

Can we please know the current set maximum a driver command can take?
I could make a lil script that counts trackmarks, triggers train etc.
so we know where we are in our current route/session.

Unfortunately this isn't an easy answer, as it will vary between computers. It is essentially determined by the driver command 'timing out' when you try to add it.

Regards

Clear Zec, makes it even harder to fix lol
Now maybe i understand the new search method better, and why the old (way)works (here) (moderately fast pc)
no worry, I'll get it to work no matter what.
greetings GM

One option here is to not place 'static' locomotives (ie locomotives that will sit in a depot, but not perform any tasks during the session) till you have completed configuration of the sessions commands (if you need to fill the spot, you can use a non locomotive traincar in it's place temporarily).

Interesting suggestion. In my current project I have modified a number of working steam locomotives to turn them into rail cars so they do not produce smoke or steam and cannot move by themselves (i.e. cannot be driven either manually or by the AI). They can still move if placed behind a working locomotive. These are for totally static display at loco depots because not every steam (or diesel) loco you see at a depot is fired up and ready to move. One of these locos I have placed on a short section of rails in a park, like a statue.

My current project has a very large number of trackmarks but only about 12 working locos. I rarely use the "Wait for Trigger" driver command and prefer to use the rule based version ("Tigger Check") instead, so I have not been troubled by this problem.

Trev and I were working on a static class that would store all the triggers, or trains or whatever you program. It could then be queried. However, if memory serves, it could not be reached from a non-static class (unlike C++). Maybe a rule could do the same thing. However, it does not change the driver command interface problem, which I addressed with a fixed set of names. Also, with the combined driver/surveyor system, an additional consideration is introduced.

I'm a lousy scripter but very persistent and full of ideas
//history
first year university they made me use Algol60(guess noone remembers) and use carton punch cards lol
when my daughter was 7 we made a Spice-girls website in pure html (she is now a pro-website designer)
Wrote lisp scripts for Autocad, Later i made some java-scripts for a website i was admin.
in 2004 me and rikj were the only dutch guys attempting to script for trainz, by reading the script Auran had used
its still a trial and error here, (more error, did i say many error)//end history

according to Zec, it's a timeout issue searching items
weird that the old search ways work fine here, the new one does not.
Besides that, i have no clue how to filter with the new search and filtering would help a lot.
Will study it more ( i never give up hahaha)
greetings GM

I wrote an assembler in Algol. My impression from Zec was the expanded menu that took so long. N trains times M trackmarks. Reading the scripts folder in Trainz will give you the search filters, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

You could examine the code in my InstantMoveTrain driver command. I acquire trackmarks with a filter. Copy and paste for a start.

Interesting suggestion. In my current project I have modified a number of working steam locomotives to turn them into rail cars so they do not produce smoke or steam and cannot move by themselves (i.e. cannot be driven either manually or by the AI). They can still move if placed behind a working locomotive. These are for totally static display at loco depots because not every steam (or diesel) loco you see at a depot is fired up and ready to move. One of these locos I have placed on a short section of rails in a park, like a statue.

My current project has a very large number of trackmarks but only about 12 working locos. I rarely use the "Wait for Trigger" driver command and prefer to use the rule based version ("Tigger Check") instead, so I have not been troubled by this problem.

I've been using Loco's to fill spaces in yards etc
Could you please post the steps to change these to rail cars / scenery items
I wouldn't know where to start.

I've been using Loco's to fill spaces in yards etc
Could you please post the steps to change these to rail cars / scenery items
I wouldn't know where to start.

It is all done by editing the config.txt files of the selected locos.

The first (and most important) step is to clone the original asset and then only work on the clone.

Open the clone's config.txt file for editing - you can do this by right mouse clicking on the clone, select Open and then select Edit Config File Text.

You will need to edit a few items and delete quite a few more.

A note of caution, each loco could be different with different tags in the config.txt file so it is important that you work only on the clone. The following segments show what worked for me on the loco that I selected.

Original config.txt file:

Code:
username                            "Original Name Here"
kind                                    "traincar"
trainz-build                          3.7
engine                                 1
enginespec                           <kuid2:126323:51253:1>
enginesound                         <kuid:126323:53253>
hornsound                            <kuid:126323:54253>
interior                                 <kuid:523:55540>
script                                   "steamloco_acs"
class                                    "Steamloco"

Edited Clone config.txt file:

Code:
username                            "New name here (inactive)"
kind                                    "traincar"
trainz-build                           3.7
engine                                  0
enginespec                           <kuid2:126323:51253:1>
interior                                <kuid:523:55540>

I deleted the enginesound, hornsound, script and class tags but left (for some reason) the enginespec and interior tags. I changed the engine tag to 0. I added the text "(inactive)" to the assets name so that I would know that this is not a working loco.

Further down the clone's config.txt file, I:-

1. deleted all smoke tags as the inactive loco would not be producing any - there may be 9 or more smoke tags.
  2. deleted the queue tag (if it is present) - in some locos this could be fuel, etc, which it will not need and removing the queue stops the product level indicators appearing above the loco.

I left the kuid-table tag alone even though it contained items ("products") that were in the queue tag and had therefore been deleted.

When finished, and you can find nothing further to edit/delete, save the config.txt file and commit the asset. Then test it and see what happens. More editing may be needed and if it has been completely "stuffed up" then delete the new asset and start again.

Best of luck - it will be a trial and error process.

Back