Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Wait for Trigger' does not work

Quote Originally Posted by llebrez View Post
    A resolution to my "driver schedule rule" problem. I just though that some of you would be interested on how I managed to fix the problem of the driver becoming "undefined" after saving the rules menu.

This is a child rule of the "trigger check". To cut it short (but it took many trials and trouble shooting), in 19, you can select what driver will execute if the name is not changed. When you assign a driver to a loco, it gives you a list of all the available names. Select one and don't change it. Then, when you set at the right upper corner the driver for that child rule, use the name you set for that loco. It will save and the rule will execute normally. Because of the many locos I have, I describe that particular one by a name I decided. If you do that, the child rule will come back undefined. It was not like that in TANE.
    Strange. I always change Driver's names, but I never had this problem, my build is 105175. But thx, I'll remember this if it'll become an issue.

Pardon me for reviving a not so old post about a serious problem, although clearly it depends on the route. I would like to point out you can't replace "Wait for Trigger" with "Trigger Check Rule" The first is a "Drivers Command" ie you add it to a specific drivers orders, and the later is a "Rule" that you add to Rules under edit session. I noted from another thread on this, someone said they fixed it by deleing all AWS Ramps. However, the Port Tillamook route that is now giving me this problem, has no such items. However, it does have 100+ ATLS slaves and probably a lot more ATLS Triggers, so that may be the cause. As noted by the OP, I confirm 'VarniTriggernelParancs' has the same issue as does "WaitUntil".

Off hand I don't see how you can replace this by using a 'Rule' instead of a 'Command,' but if it's possible, I'd like to know how you set up a rule, to make an AI drive to various trackmarks or locations?

I also have this problem on big routes with 40+ trains, the built-in just doesn't list (greyed out)
    So i made my own version based on older search code (sorry)
    also I filter out all triggers beginning with ATLS and atls
    and made a submenu for the trains so it can handle many
    you are free to try this experiment, it works here, no guarantee whatsoever.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/33vjk...er_v2.cdp/file
    in game its called Wait for trigger 2

It is my firm believe N3V should fix this kind of basic commands (and not me)
    hope it works for you
    greetings GM

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

I have been delving into rewriting some of my old rules that broke with async. My direction is to use more specific objects for the search. For example, if you use my InstantMoveTrain command, you will note that I limit the trackmarks choices to ones with certain names. I suggest scripters consider this.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

I did that pitkin, filtered out ATLS and atls, if people use other names, then alas
    There is a distinct limit to the ammount a driver command can handle
    if i ask about i get no answer ;-) and our routes get bigger and bigger
    greetings GM

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
    I did that pitkin, filtered out ATLS and atls, if people use other names, then alas
    There is a distinct limit to the ammount a driver command can handle
    if i ask about i get no answer ;-) and our routes get bigger and bigger
    greetings GM
    Yes, I could tell from your post. I was emphasizing it hoping others might read it.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
    It is my firm believe N3V should fix this kind of basic commands (and not me) hope it works for you
    The problem is that the "Wait For Trigger" driver command in NOT an N3V command. In the past whenever there have been accusations (unproven and unfounded) of N3V "changing/altering" assets created by others there has been a hue and cry in these forums. It can get very nasty with some users "heating up the tar and gathering the feathers". Now if the creator, marinus, gives his permission, and his last post in these forums was 14 years ago and latest uploads to the DLS were 5-6 years ago, then it is a different story. But if he cannot be contacted then someone may have to create a new "Wait For Trigger" command from scratch.
    TRS19 Platinum Edition SP2 build 110491

How can something basic as Wait for trigger (built-in =Approved and part of the sold package from N3v) not be the responsebility of N3v ??
    People pay for the software and anything built-in is part of the deal.
    Besides that and i stated that many times allready, if something is broken(no matter who made it) it harms the experience for all users.
    error/non working/broken leads to people leaving, people leaving leads to less profits.
    We don't want another TANE kickstarter begging for money, now do we? (maybe glad i missed all that)
    too many great people have left us allready.

btw did anyone try my old school "Wait for Trigger 2" replacement with ATLS filter yet?
    getting curious ;-)
    greetings GM
    Last edited by G.M.; January 24th, 2021 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

There are many assets that are "built-in" where N3V do not own the copyright. Those assets are built-in with the permission of the original creators but that does not give N3V the right to "bend, fold or spindle" those assets as some of us would like.

N3V no longer create their own assets (or they create very very few) so they rely on the pool of creators (us) to do that. If they started altering those donated assets for whatever "very good reason", there is a risk that the pool of creators will dry up.

There is a possibility that the Content Repair Group could take a look at it but they are a very small group of very underpaid and overworked volunteers.

Marinus brought out his first version 11/04/2003 (the kuid not kuid2) 90% of the code was based on drivercommand script code from Auran
    it has been in the game for so many years, and if you look at the version history (we are now at :10) SOMEONE, not marinus has been making changes
    so the SOMEONE, not me should fix it.
    The sad thing is that its not actually broken, N3v should just change the max. what a driver command can handle if its 256 make it 512 etc. just double it.

if its not broke don't fix it.
    if you don't fix it, I will.
    If i can't fix it, I'll make new.
    greetings GM

Blog Entries

I believe that the root cause of the problem with this command, and probably others as raised in other forum threads, is not the limit to the max search number but a timeout problem caused by faulty or inefficient scripts in other assets, particularly locos. So doubling the max search limit is unlikely to solve the problem.

My opinions.

You could be right pware, the Wait for trigger, does 2 searches in 1 command
    Search all trigger + Search all trains(vehicles) this is a lot combined
    so yes it works with small routes and a few trains.

In my route, i reached maximum, with the Drive to, Navigate to, Wait for trigger etc etc
    There were 200 windmills (hey its Holland) in my route, those were made as industries, had to make them scenery, to get my 200 destinations back
    and voila driver commands worked again.

but hey no worry, if N3v wont change it, I'll just write(actually allready did), Drive to Signal, Driver to Trigger, Drive to Junction
    that gives me loads of extra destinations.
    I know my old school "Wait for Trigger 2" works in my route where the built-in does not.
    just trying to improve/repair the game for all us and specially those that are just casual players
    greetings GM

Blog Entries

Hi All
    Due to issues with driver commands trying to display potentially hundreds, and even thousands, of menu options (and effectively causing Trainz to freeze or crash on many systems) we have had to limit how many menu options can be displayed by a driver command.

With TRS19, instead of the driver command failing to work (ie causing script errors, or being able to be added but not configured), we have made changes to Trainz so that in this situation the driver command becomes greyed out, and hence cannot be added.

For the 'wait for trigger' command this command displays two levels of menu, which add together. The first level is that it will display all of the trigger objects on the route. The second level is that it will then display, for each and every trigger, a list of all locomotives on the route.

If your route has a lot of triggers on it, or a lot of traincars, or even a lot of both, then this results in a lot of menu options having to be generated and displayed. If it tries to generate too many entries, then it will simply not load.

The solution in this case, until an alternate or updated driver command is released, is to either reduce the number of triggers on the route/session, or reduce the number of locomotives on the route. One option here is to not place 'static' locomotives (ie locomotives that will sit in a depot, but not perform any tasks during the session) till you have completed configuration of the sessions commands (if you need to fill the spot, you can use a non locomotive traincar in it's place temporarily).

The best solution of course is for the driver command to be updated. We have updated a number of N3V created driver commands to use our newer menu system, which does handle this much better (ie provides a dropdown list after the command is added; or multiple dropdown lists where multiple options are provided). Unfortunately it's simply not possible for us to update every 3rd party driver command, even those that are used in builtin routes or sessions. Despite what many may think, we are a very small team, and we are limited on how much we can do at any one time.

There are also limits on how much we can change content from 3rd party creators internally (and we have often received complaints when we have made updates/fixes to content in similar situations!).

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

Again a clear reply TY Zec

Can we please know the current set maximum a driver command can take?
    I could make a lil script that counts trackmarks, triggers train etc.
    so we know where we are in our current route/session.

Understand that the problem will only get worse over time, our PC's can handle more
    People will make bigger routes and drive more trainz.

It's clear there is a small team, but then prioritize.
    the game should never freeze or CTD or make things grey out.
    cause this leads to users complaining or leaving this game.

The amount of triggers has raised because of the ATLS system
    and that was made because kind Mocrossing is not flexible to begin with.
    So if we have a way to filter out names beginning ATLS or atls (like i did in my script)
    we effectively lower the number of triggers for the menu's

greetings GM

I always use the "post message" and the "wait for message and clear" driver commands to trigger an operation.