Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The L&NE, DL&W, and NYSW are coming alive in Trainz

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    The route is probably at the limit of what your computer can handle and your computer is running out of RAM (DIMM memory) space. One solution is to increase the page file size to accommodate large amounts of data. Whatever amount of RAM you have, try doubling and then doubling again.

What you'll also need to do is divide the route into parts as I mentioned in the PM I sent you. Save out separate routes from TransDEM then trrim down the route parts in TRS2019 and then merge them together into the final route. The addition of the virtual memory mentioned above will help with this as well.

The faulty UTM Tiles, do you mean faulty textures, or is it location? The location will put them off into space so I'm not sure if they would load if there's no terrain to put under them.
    So just box in a set area of track and export that as it’s own route, and do that for the rest of the track, and then eventually merge them all? How would I allow more “page file size,” would that be something in TS2019 to configure?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by nikkigirl1 View Post
    So just box in a set area of track and export that as it’s own route, and do that for the rest of the track, and then eventually merge them all? How would I allow more “page file size,” would that be something in TS2019 to configure?
    1) In TransDEM, you need to select the area you want to keep. Use the scissors tool and cut the outside - it'll prompt you which option.
    2) Export the route as is.

I turn off the grid lines and don't place track, and don't draw a line for the track because I want to see the old RR grades on the old maps.

3) Export the route.
    Use a name like PART A.

4) Import into TRS2019.
    You will need to remove extraneous boards. Trim close to the mapped area.

5) Repeat for other parts.
    6) Merge the route-sections in TRS2019.

I've used this process since TS12.

====
    For your page file. This is a system thing and requires setting it up and restarting your computer.
    1) Close all applications you are running.
    2) Open File Explorer
    3) Right-click on This PC.
    4) Choose Properties.

There are multiple ways to get here, but this is a relatively quick one!

5) Open Advanced system settings on left side.
    6) There are multiple tabs. Ensure that the advanced tab is opened.
    7) Click on settings... in performance section.
    8) Click on Advanced tab (second one)
    9) In the Virtual Memory section (lower part), click Change...

10) Click on Custom size button in lower part.
    11) Put in new size.

The general rule is 1-1/2 X installed RAM. Try 2 X installed RAM.

If you have more than one drive, repeat and put the same amount on your other drives.

12) Restart your computer.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

That's an awesome project you're doing ! I'm a DL&W fan, currently working on the Utica Division, running from Binghamton, NY up through the Chenango valley (beautiful area) to Utica, NY, with a branch line west over to Richfield Springs. Time period is late 1800's. Lots of dairy stations, and major hop growing country.
    I've been collecting old photo postcards of the stations, etc along with books on the DL&W. Great history.

What I'm doing with my route is breaking it down into segments where one station / siding will be a terminus and that's where the session ends, with the new session beginning where that one left off. That's fine for doing local freight stops and taking a siding to give a train with higher priority the right of way on single tracks, but the disadvantage is for fast freight and passenger trains who don't have scheduled stops. Having one giant route would be great but HD space / loading time would probably prevent that. It will be a while before I try doing some merging...not wanting to open that can of worms yet.
    Good luck with your project and hope it goes well. Look forward to watching the progress.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    That's an awesome project you're doing ! I'm a DL&W fan, currently working on the Utica Division, running from Binghamton, NY up through the Chenango valley (beautiful area) to Utica, NY, with a branch line west over to Richfield Springs. Time period is late 1800's. Lots of dairy stations, and major hop growing country.
    I've been collecting old photo postcards of the stations, etc along with books on the DL&W. Great history.

What I'm doing with my route is breaking it down into segments where one station / siding will be a terminus and that's where the session ends, with the new session beginning where that one left off. That's fine for doing local freight stops and taking a siding to give a train with higher priority the right of way on single tracks, but the disadvantage is for fast freight and passenger trains who don't have scheduled stops. Having one giant route would be great but HD space / loading time would probably prevent that. It will be a while before I try doing some merging...not wanting to open that can of worms yet.
    Good luck with your project and hope it goes well. Look forward to watching the progress.
    I have family up in the region and I visit Utica many times a year, love the while area and the Mohawk Subdivision up there, that's where I started my first railfanning in Amsterdam's Riverlink Park. I think its really neat that you're conquering the region that isn't featured in trainz all that often, just like I'm doing

Here is what's roughly close to a tenth of the complete route. This is the section of Campbell Hall, NY down to just above Sussex, NJ. Thanks to JCitron's help and advice, I was able to merge three sections so far including one more that is in the process of creating UTM tiles for the route. I have fixed most track so that it doesn't randomly loop in some places, and it took me about half an hour - 45 minutes to run a train from north to south on L&NE trackage, so I can conclude that it should be just above an hour and a half to run trains on L&NE trackage from Campbell Hall, NY to Pen Argyl, PA. Thanks to the multitude of wye's along the route, its easy to turn trains around or to switch to other railroads' rights-of-way. Seeing as i bit off a lot more than I can chew with scenery along the route, I am interested in finding anyone that likes detailing in Trainz, and allowing them to add scenery along the parts of the route that I don't know all that well. If you'd like to help me detail, let me know by shooting me a pm.

Blog Entries

That's neat that you family ties up there. The time period I'm doing allows me to incorporate a few different RR's with the DL&W, including the Utica & Black RR, The Westshore, New York Central, NY,Ontario and Western, Mohawk and Malone ( east of Remsen, coming across a bridge over the west Canada Creek at Trenton Falls, then servicing the limestone quarry in Prospect, into Remsen and then heading north east toward Thendara) . I'm wrapped up in making structures of homes and industries as I go.
    Just curious if you've taken a trip out of Utica going north with the Adirondack Scenic RR. The run excursions several times a year......except this one, since they've got everything shut down.
    I'd love to help you doing scenery on yours but I can't leave mine unattended. I'm selfish, I know. You'll probably want to cut and paste a few acres of scenery and rotate them so it doesn't look cut and pasted. In rural areas , it helps to speed things up.
    I hope you keep giving updates. Sounds like a great project[IMG]

Here's a shot of the NYC branch heading westbound into Utita, with the old Erie Canal on the left that used to run through town, and the Mohawk River on the right, before it was re-routed. [/IMG]
    Last edited by JimDep; July 21st, 2020 at 09:59 PM.
    TRS 2012 build 61388

JimDep, I actually have ridden on the Adirondack Scenic RR, although not out of Utica. My family vacations just outside of Thendara in Old Forge so I have ridden the train out of Thendara and into Forestport or however far their smaller excursions go southward too many times to count, and I think I’ve bought a good bit of my HO scale models out of the gift shop in the Thendara station. The area and railroad itself are amazing and the old motive power always resonated with me. I’ll have to take the excursion out of Utica one of these times. I’m excited to see your route, seeing as the area is like a second home to me

Blog Entries

I'm really happy to hear that. You know Thendara and Forestport and how amazing and inspiring the atmosphere is there. Great people with a rich history. Can you imagine how cool it must have been to be able to ride on the Mohawk and Malone all the way up to Malone NY !
    The original settlers had to be tough to survive the winters. Every season is incredible. That western region of the Adirondacks, Brown's tract and along the Black River heading up to Carthage , all through out there.
    Looking forward to when the Adirondack Scenic RR can reopen again.
    Here's a Trainz model of the Erie Lackawanna Freight house on Water Street in Utica.
    Last edited by JimDep; July 22nd, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Here is what will be part 1 of the whole L&NE Sub. This is the section I will be focusing on the most and releasing first. I like using the OSM textures instead of the Google Earth Raster Map textures since I can make out roads and rivers. I have to trim out just about all of the black baseboards but this is still a whole lot of track. The only thing that is really bugging me at this point is the Lackawanna Cutoff, where the track in many areas is raised on fill quite a good distance in the air, which unfortunately TransDEM did not model it, why it did not is beyond me since the fill still prominently exists today. I should have a fun time trying to correct that, along with many other track areas that have inaccurate raises and valleys that they fall on. At least this time around I know where I am on the route.

Here is my favorite area on the route, the portion that runs through my family's farm. We drive tractors on the railbed now, but the cinder ballast and old fence post ties still litter the area. I'll start the route scenery here , and work my way up to Sussex Borough, and from there down to the Delaware Viaduct, and then shift my focus to the Lackawanna Cutoff, since that unfortunately needs the most attention paid to it. Regardless this route still pleases me a lot the way it is.

woah, this is looking real nice! cant wait for the rest!

The Lackawanna Cutoff is the route that is taking the best shape on the route right now. After taking a break from the game for a while for research and other means of gathering info for this project, I started again by laying gradients and making the land around the cutoff as real as possible up to Greendell, where this picture is taken by the interlocking tower that still barely stands today. This was made to represent a shot of GP35 2560 shooting through the same spot, although I can't find it in any place other than a Chuck Walsh video to show it here. As you can see, scenery is not much of anything yet, the most I have done is placed interlocking towers and stations in their proper spots so I know how to lay terrain/sidings around them. Grades on the cutoff are now 95% prototypical at +-0.55% being the max, except for outside of Roseville Tunnel/Port Morris where it is getting tricky. I have decided the Cutoff will most likely be the first part I work on and release, running from roughly Dover, NJ until some area before Scranton, mainly because Chuck Walsh on YouTube covers this so well while the other roads have little to no info about them. I am on the fence as to whether I want the line to look like its 1930s-50s heyday, with little trees around the fills and cuts, with a double-tracked mainline w/passing sidings, in the EL/Conrail stages with one main line and no Old Road, or as the line exists today, with trees closed right up to the roadbed and "under NJT control" since they are laying track up to Andover. Lastly, I could make the line in its "what-if" time, when EL was supposed to merge with the Chessie System, or if the line eventually fell in to CSX/NS/NYSW/Amtrak control. Let me know what you all want to see, I personally feel like I want EL-Era but with certain areas resembling modern-day operations i.e. grade crossings, single-track on the WB side, and an Andover Station, but again, what the people want I will do