Garden Railway Dreaming.

Just found out that the 4T base has been approved. Of course, it could also be used for single or double track - or three tracks - with lineside accessories. I'll complete the set with a single track version so users can put as many splines side by side as they like. Cover the whole garden ...

Ray

I'll keep an eye out for the new track base Ray.

And the operating pits now have drainage to stop them becoming a water feature. The other operating pit has been put in at Mulling Bridge and it's a bit longer than the first one. Since this garden line has been made up as I went along without any real plan I omitted to have anywhere for a steam up area, but since Mulling Bridge has an engine shed I decided that would do as the steam up area. Two engines in steam is more than enough to run the line so the short MPD siding should be quite sufficient.

D7Ns9Ol.jpg

And speaking of water features I've put a pond in the garden. The whole point of building this garden line was to see what was possible using Ray's garden railway models and I think I've managed show what can be done with them. From here some further bits and bobs such as benches for the garden would be nice and possibly some pleading needs to happen with some our foliage experts to make larger versions of things like flowers and flowering plants as well as water lilies & etc for ponds and water features.

9THedhZ.jpg

Better and better!.

some further bits and bobs such as benches for the garden would be nice

They are on the to do list - it's just a question of fitting them in with other Trainz and non-Trainz tasks. For example, at the moment I'm waiting for some bread to rise after making some trifles (edible) for the next three days. I did think of a pond, so that's one item to be crossed off the list.

I too hope that other creators will join in, even if this is not one of their interests. It's quite simple - just take an asset that has already been created, scale it up to 2200%, adjust so that the base is at ground level, and slightly alter the original config - KUID, name, description etc. The original texture does not need to be changed.

Ray

Thanks Ray, - this has been a fun experiment. I do hope other creators come on board with this since it's a very enjoyable way of experiencing what Trainz can do.
I've found that operating the garden line using the 'advanced' steam controls is best and much more fun which makes a steam-up area more than just another siding to park engines in, - since any engine that's stationary for a while has to be monitored and fettled accordingly if you don't want boiler pressure to just slowly die away.

A garden bench is now on its way to N3V by special courier. A single track base spline is with it. This completes the set or track bases as any combination can be made by laying them closely side by side, giving plenty of room for lineside features.

Ray

A garden bench is now on its way to N3V by special courier. A single track base spline is with it. This completes the set or track bases as any combination can be made by laying them closely side by side, giving plenty of room for lineside features.

Ray

And both approved in three minutes!

That's really great Ray. The garden benches are the finishing touch I wanted for the garden line. I'm having a think about what I might do next and the new track bases will be a part of that.

Well I'm going to call my experimental garden line done and dusted. I won't do anymore to it now as it's fine as it is and if I try to make further mods to it I'm sure I'll only make a mess of it. I'll get it all sorted out now for uploading. There won't be any engines or rolling stock on the line as everything I used for testing isn't on the DLS. I would recommend visiting Steve Flanders's website though and downloading his Irish 3ft gauge models since they would be perfect for use on the garden line. http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/index.htm

I always feel a bit protective about uploading a newly built layout because...... it's my precious and I don't want anybody to have it.......Um..... sorry about that. Seriously though I do hope others will enjoy it because I certainly have had a lot of fun with it.

mxnqv72.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! Looking forward to trying this, and I promise I won't take it anywhere near the mountains of Mordor.... :hehe:

Download Page
DDD House (modern) 03 - ray_whiley
17th October 2016

Description
A modern house. Provide your own car for the car port!
Type: Buildings / Structures | Version: TS12 | KUID2: <KUID2:275817:26167:1> | Filesiz

Well I'm going to call my experimental garden line done and dusted. I won't do anymore to it now as it's fine as it is and if I try to make further mods to it I'm sure I'll only make a mess of it. I'll get it all sorted out now for uploading. There won't be any engines or rolling stock on the line as everything I used for testing isn't on the DLS. I would recommend visiting Steve Flanders's website though and downloading his Irish 3ft gauge models since they would be perfect for use on the garden line. http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/index.htm

I always feel a bit protective about uploading a newly built layout because...... it's my precious and I don't want anybody to have it.......Um..... sorry about that. Seriously though I do hope others will enjoy it because I certainly have had a lot of fun with it.

:cool: Garden Artistry at it's best.....Well done KotangaGirl...........:wave:

Thanks very much everyone for your kind comments. I've just now uploaded a couple of dependent assets for the garden line and once I know they have been approved the garden line will be following them.

DWW GR 3ft Garden Railway Dreams <KUID:768291:12650>

Has now been approved and should be available in 24 hours.

Yw1KREe.jpg

Download Page
DDD House (modern) 03 - ray_whiley
17th October 2016

Description
A modern house. Provide your own car for the car port!
Type: Buildings / Structures | Version: TS12 | KUID2: <KUID2:275817:26167:1> | Filesiz

Many thanks for that, Stagecoach - it proves that I was not dreaming! That was an esoecially difficult time for me personally and I lost track of what I was doing and recording models and
in my database. But the issue is this - to make a 1:22 scale garden railway version I need the original mesh - and I haven't yet found it. But at least I can, if necessary, get the original texture files and remake the building which I especially want to use.

Ray

Last edited:
DWW GR 3ft Garden Railway Dreams <KUID:768291:12650>

Has now been approved and should be available in 24 hours.

Great news, Annie, and I'm so pleased to see my experimental models used so effectively. I might be encouraged to make more. I'll watch to see how many downloads your route attracts as a measure of interest. But I know you must have had a great deal of fun doing your garden design. I love the rolling stock which seems so appropriate.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Yes it was a lot of fun and a refreshingly different way to build a layout in Trainz. I hope it does attract some interest so that Trainz folk can see the potential of building a garden railway in Trainz.

I've found it best if 'Garden Railway Dreams' is operated with no more than two engines and about a dozen goods wagons and two coaches. Otherwise it's very easy to choke up the layout with too many models on the track and no room to actually operate the layout. Both of my testing engines are heavily fettled payware set up to work well on the 'advanced' steam controls so aren't readily available, but Steve Flanders has suitable 3ft gauge engines for working the line on his website. They will need to be his smaller engines though since this is a small garden line and there isn't the space to maneuver large engines about at the two terminal stations.

Maybe it's time for me to start a thread listing available garden railway assets?

Ray

That would be a very good idea Ray as I think many Trainz folk don't know what is available or even that it's possible to model a garden railway.

Last edited:
I have just listed all my Garden Railways assets, illustrated in KotangaGirl's layout, in the Freeware Announcements Forum. Other creators in 1:22 scale, please add to the list.

Ray

Back